• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

JMS approved Chronological viewing order

For your information, the point I was making about the viewer knowledge opposed to the character knowledge.

http://www.jmsnews.com/msg.aspx?id=1-7463&query=sheridan%20viewer

I know what the difference between character knowledge and viewer knowledge means. My point is that this alone isn't a reason to move an episode. Day of the Dead is quite obviously in the wrong place on the season 5 DVDs. It comes between two interconnected episodes. So it obviously needs to move. Now you could just roll a dice and place it somewhere or you could move it to wherever it fits best. I've given multiple reasons why I feel that Day of the Dead fits in with the characters and events of the middle of the season. If you think I'm wrong, I'd love to hear why. Instead you've just said it should be where you put it and if I don't like it, I can watch it where ever I want.

Well that's true, but if you want your list to have any kind of authority then it does need explanations for your reasoning. You did that with season one. I don't know why you're insisting on not doing it for season five.

Looney, I've said everything I plan to on the matter. Yes, B5historyman and I know each other from the B5 Books team and on Facebook. We don't always agree. But I'd have said the same thing I did to anybody who'd copped the attitude that I was responding to.

'Nuff said. Pax.

Yes, B5historyman and I know each other from the B5 Books team and on Facebook..

Here is what I don't understand.

WHY AM I NOT ON THE B5 BOOKS team?!?!?!?!

Is it just because everyone knows I have nothing meaningful to contribute? (Be honest.) . . . . . . . . :guffaw: :guffaw: :guffaw: :guffaw: :guffaw: ;)

For your information, the point I was making about the viewer knowledge opposed to the character knowledge.

http://www.jmsnews.com/msg.aspx?id=1-7463&query=sheridan%20viewer

I know what the difference between character knowledge and viewer knowledge means. My point is that this alone isn't a reason to move an episode. Day of the Dead is quite obviously in the wrong place on the season 5 DVDs. It comes between two interconnected episodes. So it obviously needs to move. Now you could just roll a dice and place it somewhere or you could move it to wherever it fits best. I've given multiple reasons why I feel that Day of the Dead fits in with the characters and events of the middle of the season. If you think I'm wrong, I'd love to hear why. Instead you've just said it should be where you put it and if I don't like it, I can watch it where ever I want.

Well that's true, but if you want your list to have any kind of authority then it does need explanations for your reasoning. You did that with season one. I don't know why you're insisting on not doing it for season five.

It does have Joe Straczynski's authority, wasn't aware there was anyone else's needed. You are asking me to go back through copious notes just to satisfy you. With all due respect, it's not going to happen anytime soon, I have more important things to worry about in my life right now, my mother is recovering from major cancer surgery and having chemotherapy, my mother in law's health is rapidly failing and my wife is going through the menopause as well to cope with. On top of that my day job as an analyst has exploded recently and I am bogged down with work, so when I go home at night I am also tired mentally.

EDIT
To finally settle this once and for all, I have just asked my wife to go through my notes and email me. This is the reasoning behind where DoTD sits in the chronology

1. From the material I received from Joe, Mars independence was ratified on March 3rd 2262.

2. In DoTD there is a Universe Today headline "Narn Consulate opens on Mars amid controversy" Why would it be controversial if the events of DoTD are AFTER Mars independence? As an independent state they can have who the heck they like opening a Consulate. So what was the controversy? I reasoned it was opened while Mars was still under the joint control of EarthGov, during a transitional phase before independence. Instead of dealing with EarthGov, the Narn deal directly with the interim MarsGov.

3. Garibaldi blaming the telepaths. Where I placed DoTD, Byron and his telepaths were still very much on the station.

Last edited:
Looney, I've said everything I plan to on the matter. Yes, B5historyman and I know each other from the B5 Books team and on Facebook. We don't always agree. But I'd have said the same thing I did to anybody who'd copped the attitude that I was responding to.

'Nuff said. Pax.

We may disagree on things, but I'd like to think we are still friends/fellow fans:bolian:

Aha. Those are indeed good reasons. People may argue (because people always argue...) but there they are and now we have them.

And you had good reasons for not telling us up front, as I suspected -- because you had much bigger fish to fry. I hope you can catch a breather soon, and maybe some breaks.

On the other hand, a simple, "I'll have to check my notes, let me get back to you on that" could have avoided all the confrontation here. As tough as your life sounds right now, it's still possible to listen and be polite (even online!).

Aha. Those are indeed good reasons. People may argue (because people always argue...) but there they are and now we have them.

And you had good reasons for not telling us up front, as I suspected -- because you had much bigger fish to fry. I hope you can catch a breather soon, and maybe some breaks.

On the other hand, a simple, "I'll have to check my notes, let me get back to you on that" could have avoided all the confrontation here. As tough as your life sounds right now, it's still possible to listen and be polite (even online!).

Sorry, I'm also diabetic which can make me grumpy when I'm tired too :(

Self-care! Self-care before arguing about decades-old science fiction arcana on the internet!

I do look after myself :) Unfortunately the medication I have is slowly becoming ineffective :(

Aww, man, that's terrible.

Blood tests in November to see what progress the recent increases have had in my meds, I’m at the maximum dosage for both my drugs now. Next stop insulin pen. Ah well :-/

It does have Joe Straczynski's authority, wasn't aware there was anyone else's needed.

JMS has approved other orders too though. For instance this one on Lurker's Guide has a different order for Season One and Two which supposedly also has his blessing. So which one is the correct one? Is there even actually a correct order? Crusade is pretty good proof that it's very hard to come up with one.

You are asking me to go back through copious notes just to satisfy you. With all due respect, it's not going to happen anytime soon, I have more important things to worry about in my life right now, my mother is recovering from major cancer surgery and having chemotherapy, my mother in law's health is rapidly failing and my wife is going through the menopause as well to cope with. On top of that my day job as an analyst has exploded recently and I am bogged down with work, so when I go home at night I am also tired mentally.
Well I'm sorry to hear that you have real life problems, and I agree they are more important, but as KoshFan pointed out you could have just said that you were busy with real life.

1. From the material I received from Joe, Mars independence was ratified on March 3rd 2262.

2. In DoTD there is a Universe Today headline "Narn Consulate opens on Mars amid controversy" Why would it be controversial if the events of DoTD are AFTER Mars independence? As an independent state they can have who the heck they like opening a Consulate. So what was the controversy? I reasoned it was opened while Mars was still under the joint control of EarthGov, during a transitional phase before independence. Instead of dealing with EarthGov, the Narn deal directly with the interim MarsGov.

3. Garibaldi blaming the telepaths. Where I placed DoTD, Byron and his telepaths were still very much on the station.
Fair enough. I can't say I agree with your reasoning (I've already pointed out why it's seems wrong for number 3), but at least I have an idea what it was now.

Last edited:
It does have Joe Straczynski's authority, wasn't aware there was anyone else's needed.

JMS has approved other orders too though. For instance this one on Lurker's Guide has a different order for Season One and Two which supposedly also has his blessing. So which one is the correct one? Is there even actually a correct order? Crusade is pretty good proof that it's very hard to come up with one.

You are asking me to go back through copious notes just to satisfy you. With all due respect, it's not going to happen anytime soon, I have more important things to worry about in my life right now, my mother is recovering from major cancer surgery and having chemotherapy, my mother in law's health is rapidly failing and my wife is going through the menopause as well to cope with. On top of that my day job as an analyst has exploded recently and I am bogged down with work, so when I go home at night I am also tired mentally.
Well I'm sorry to hear that you have real life problems, and I agree they are more important, but as KoshFan pointed out you could have just said that you were busy with real life.

Fair enough. I can't say I agree with your reasoning (I've already pointed out why it's seems wrong for number 3), but at least I have an idea what it was now.

Yes Joe can change his mind, the episode guide on the Lurkers Guide as far as I am aware merely followed the broadcast order. As I preceded the introduction to the list I posted what Joe said on line about chronological ordering.

The fact that you don't agree with my reasoning comes as no surprise. What I came up with was used in-house at Babylonian. You asked, you got. Now as far as it goes for me I do not feel it's worth arguing the point anymore for the reasons I have already quoted.

You have a nice life and good luck with your two projects.

That is all well and good, but I really don't care for how everyone just passed right by the "Why isn't Looney part of the B5Books team?" question. I mean my mom says I am handsome and what team wouldn't want me to be a part of it?! :guffaw: :LOL: :guffaw:

The bylaws of the Book Group prohibit answering rhetorical questions. That's why.

:guffaw::LOL::guffaw::LOL::guffaw::LOL::guffaw:

At least you didn't say it was because I was disqualified before the B5Books Team even formed. You know, they had an initial meeting about the idea and immediately said, "We'll take anyone, but Looney." :LOL: ;)

Back