B5TV.COM. Babylon 5 forums Babylon 5 message for the fans from Claudia Christian Babylon 5
Old June 4th 09, 17:14   #1
Markas
His Majesty

Send a message via MSN to Markas
RIP David Carradine

Apparantly, he was in Thailand to film a movie and hung himself in his hotel room. What a sad end for a fascinating actor. I watched Kung Fu in the 70's, and he was quite amazing in Kill Bill.

Quote:
BANGKOK (AP) -- Actor David Carradine, star of the 1970s TV series "Kung Fu" who also had a wide-ranging career in the movies, has been found dead in the Thai capital, Bangkok. A news report said he was found hanged in his hotel room and was believed to have committed suicide.

A spokesman for the U.S. Embassy, Michael Turner, confirmed the death of the 72-year-old actor. He said the embassy was informed by Thai authorities that Carradine died either late Wednesday or early Thursday, but he could not provide further details out of consideration for his family.

The Web site of the Thai newspaper The Nation cited unidentified police sources as saying Carradine was found Thursday hanged in his luxury hotel room.
It said Carradine was in Bangkok to shoot a movie and had been staying at the hotel since Tuesday.

The newspaper said Carradine could not be contacted after he failed to appear for a meal with the rest of the film crew on Wednesday, and that his body was found by a hotel maid at 10 a.m. Thursday morning. The name of the movie was not immediately available.

It said a preliminary police investigation found that he had hanged himself with a cord used with the room's curtains. It cited police as saying he had been dead at least 12 hours and there was no sign that he had been assaulted.
Old June 4th 09, 19:00   #2
KoshFan
Soul Hunter

Re: RIP David Carradine

So weird, and saddening. I heard him on the radio not long ago. He seemed to be loving life, quite centered. But then I know pretty well that you can put a brave face on internal despair.

I met him as Bill, not having ever seen Kung Fu. But boy, did he set the standard and leave a mark...

The Generous Grasp
KoshFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th 09, 20:30   #3
vacantlook

Wow, I did not expect to read this when logging on today.
vacantlook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th 09, 23:47   #4
Recoil
First One

Wow. Well he was 72, when I read this headline I just sort of assumed that he passed on due to natural causes. Suicide? At that age? Really? Makes pretty much no sense to me at all.
Old June 5th 09, 00:36   #5
Sindatur
Techno-mage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recoil View Post
Wow. Well he was 72, when I read this headline I just sort of assumed that he passed on due to natural causes. Suicide? At that age? Really? Makes pretty much no sense to me at all.
That was pretty much my thought too. You make it through 72 years, and are still in good enough health to act, why would anyone want to kill themself? Tragic to say the very least
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th 09, 01:08   #6
Recoil
First One

Tragic? Sorry, but there is nothing tragic about suicide. Tragic is when a just-married couple gets killed in a car accident because of a drunk driver running a red light. Tragic is a 5-year-old accidentally gunned down in a shootout. Suicide has never struck me as tragic.
Old June 5th 09, 03:26   #7
Alluveal
Psi Cop

I don't think it was suicide. I think he had an asphyxiation fetish. Reports are stating he was found hanging in the closet with a cable around his neck (and around his genitals.) Sounds like he was "getting off" and went a little too far.
Alluveal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th 09, 04:15   #8
KoshFan
Soul Hunter

Quote:
Tragic? Sorry, but there is nothing tragic about suicide. Tragic is when a just-married couple gets killed in a car accident because of a drunk driver running a red light. Tragic is a 5-year-old accidentally gunned down in a shootout. Suicide has never struck me as tragic.
Speaking as someone who tried it once -- years ago; I'm somewhat better now -- gee, thanks!

The Generous Grasp
KoshFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th 09, 04:30   #9
Alluveal
Psi Cop

I think suicide is terribly tragic. There's a soul that's hurting. I knew a guy in undergrad who was a brilliant writer and on his way to really doing some great things.

He struggled with depression for a long time. His insurance ran out after graduating and made too much to qualify for medicaid (the limit in Denver was $800/month.) He couldn't afford his meds and was having a very difficult time finding a therapist to take him on a sliding scale that he could afford.

He jumped off a 6 story building 3 weeks later. To me, that's not only tragic that he had to live with such a crappy condition, but the system failed him as well.

Now, I will say that I have no empathy for people who "cry wolf" and threaten suicide for attention, or as emotional blackmail (i.e. omg, don't break up, I'll kill myself!) But, I do empathize. If Caradine really did commit suicide, then I can only conclude that he was in a terribly dark place, so dark that he saw no other alternative.
Alluveal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th 09, 04:50   #10
Sindatur
Techno-mage

Quote:
Tragic - the loss and the guilt anyone who was in his life and loved him will feel that they didn't see it coming or weren't able to help him resolve his issues. My lover's friend committed suicide, and my lover fights those feelings all the time during certain times of the year and events.
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote