• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

B5 Returns To SciFi

The new time slot ROCKS. Before it was on at 5 eastern (2 pacific)...DURING SCHOOL..so I haven't seen it since before Jan 02 (outside of my DVDs) except for summer...

NOW its on at 9 am eastern (6 pm pacific) which means i can watch an epsiode before I leave for school at 7:15! yay!

What an awesome before school-early morning present. =) Waking up to B5 instead of the KTLA News.
smile.gif

Thanks sci fi.

TJ

See, its comments like this that I just dont understand. How can anyone get away with saying something like that?
I get away with a lot of crap
wink.gif

I see what you mean though. I understand that there isn't any more new b5 shows yata yata yata...I just meant death as in it not being broadcast anywere. Other that on Dvd's and whatnot. See what I mean?

I just meant death as in it not being broadcast anywere. Other that on Dvd's and whatnot. See what I mean?

Assuming that you mean the "not broadcast anywhere" to include an implicit "at a time when people can watch" (because otherwise it doesn't make any sense), ......

For the very large portion of the population that has standard day jobs, that happened a long time ago. Changing from 4:00 PM (or whatever it was) to 9:00 AM is a complete no-op from the POV of most adults.

I can not encourage people strongly enough to buy a TiVo. Its worth every cent, and saves you 26% of the time you watch television by being able to blow through commercials, not to mention the killer interface and not having to program the VCR every time you want to record a show. Its "smart" features really make enjoying television much easier!

-Tim

How many hours can TIVO hold?

Also, you can't record and keep something on TIVO, can you? You have to delete it eventually, right?

Depends on the machine. Some only have 25 to 35 hours, and can be modified with larger hard drives to hold over 100 hours.

You can transfer programs you wish to keep to VCR to make more room on the TiVo.

How many hours can TIVO hold?

Also, you can't record and keep something on TIVO, can you? You have to delete it eventually, right?

TiVo can be modified by your friendly neighborhood tech geek. Basically, its a Linux box (I'm hoping AntonyF is running Linux... it looks like it by the ".php" extensions!).

I bought a 14 hour TiVo used on eBay for ~ $80 USD. I then bought two 120-gig drives at a computer show ($380 for both!). I then followed the simple instructions and installed both 120 gig hard drives into my TiVo and now have 304 hours of digital recording time.

Installing new hard drives into a TiVo is relatively easy - as long as you have someone handy who can install a hard drive into a computer, its fairly easy to upgrade your TiVo.

YOU MUST UNDERSTAND - YOU VOID YOUR WARRANTY AS SOON AS YOU OPEN THE TIVO! This is a standard disclaimer, but if you buy one used on eBay, its a small cost and the risk is fairly low. TiVo has in no way encouraged the modifications to their systems, however, they have not discouraged it. By using Linux, and free open source technology, they have made it clear that they appreciate the enthusiasm of the geek community, while not endorsing it.

If you really get into TiVo, as I have, you can go so far as installing a network card. I now have mine set up so it appears just as another computer on my network. The upshot of this is, with a lot of work, you can use your TiVo as the best MPEG2 recorder on the market; then you can pull those streams to your computer, and burn to DVD, much like a VCR... just a longer process.

I still purchase EVERY show I burn to DVD via TiVo when they are released. However, it is nice to have A Call to Arms on DVD. ;-)

Buying a small size TiVo and upgrading it so you have recording time beyond your imagination is awesome. The service is the best. And, to tell you the truth, its cheaper to BUY the DVDs than go through the process unless you make less that five dollars an hour.

I still believe the TiVo is the BEST invention since the Microwave. Its such a time saver. It gives you your own television network. It records your shows, you watch at your convenience. That feature alone is worth more than any of the more controversial issues, such as burning DVDs.

Regards,

-Tim

If you did have many additional hours on TIVO, how would you find anything on it? Wouldn't it just get to be a hopeless mess?

Its easy to find stuff on TiVo - you can sort the programs you have in a number of ways. Most recently recorded, alphabetical, etc. Also, there is a program you can install if you have the network card called "TiVoWeb" which allows you to browse your TiVo through a web browser, adding search functionality and remote-programming. (IE, you can program your TiVo from anywhere in the world!)

-Tim

Man, that sounds pretty darned good, actually.

Unfortunately, I have a bad habit of recording a lot of movies and then not getting to them for half a year or so.

I'm not exaggerating here.
rolleyes.gif

I think TIVO wouldn't work for me.
frown.gif

Wow, thanks for that extra info on Tivo, Flipper! (we call him Flipper, Flipper... hehe) I didn't know it could hold your standard computer hard drive for more recording capacity. How many hard drives can the thing hold? It uses IDE cables? TiVo sounded nice to me before, but the upgrade thing really sounds good to me. I don't watch TV that often, but when I am in the mood to watch, I can watch for hours. Unfortunately, there usually isn't anything I want to watch in that time frame. TiVo would fix that in a hurry. I'll see about getting one now, for sure.

Definitely go for the Series 1 TiVo, instead of the series 2 if you're interested in pulling the streams off and burning to DVD (a complicated process, but much like a VCR).

TiVo can hold two IDE hard drives using a standard IDE cable. To expand your TiVo, you basically hook up your original TiVo drive to your computer (unhook your windows drives!) and backup the TiVo image after booting from a CD. The boot CD image contains Linux, and after hooking up your two new IDE drives, it boots to Linux, then you issue a command and and it backs up the TiVo image you backed up and expands to create a full two-drive system. Then you can put your original TiVo drive in a box as a backup. Fairly easy!

-Tim

Back