• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

I got the DVD's. :)

Re: I got the DVD\'s. :)

I always believed this to be because of the audio downmix to 2.0 for your TV, and that if you had a full 5.1 (6.1,7.1+) audio system it wouldn't do that.

I have two VCRs, a DVD and a LD player, and I did have a CD changer, all hooked up to my AV system, and they all have sound at different levels. This is simply the output level of the piece of equipment being different from others, it's no big deal, if you are getting all audio channels. Losing one chanel due to bad contacts, or whatever, will cause a reduced voulume.

Last night I watched all of disc two of B5 S1, and was impressed. It has never looked or sounded better, even on digital cable. I did catch a few single frame video glitches, the most striking being two horizontal digital streaks on And The Sky Full Of Stars. The audio was truly amazing on my prologic system.

I always believed this to be because of the audio downmix to 2.0 for your TV, and that if you had a full 5.1 (6.1,7.1+) audio system it wouldn't do that.

Not true. The line-out level on DVD players is actually more "correct" than most other devices, which over amplify the output signal, which tends to distort if then cranked up more by a power amp. The relatively low output level allows DVD to more closely match the dynamic range of movies in the theater. See Jim Taylor's invaluable "DVD FAQ" for the details on all this.

Regards,

Joe

Guess I should have provided a link. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif Jim's FAQ is reproduced in a number of places on the internet. I read it when it was first issued around 1996, and have periodically looked at it for updates. I believe that The Digital Bits still mirrors the FAQ.

Regards,

Joe

Sounds like some serious P.E.B.K.A.C. to me.
The old "if I don't have that problem, then obviously that problem doesn't exist logic, I see, Recoil. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I can tell you that I've played both series and movie DVD's and never had the sound suddenly go out as it does on the B5 DVD's from time to time. It is not a huge problem, but to assume it does not exist because it didn't happen to you is an
over-simplification.

I have looked over and over the DVD's for B5 and not one scratch is visible. And yet the sound definitely has problems. I have not yet seen the visual problems (except for the scale thing in that one episode which was noticeable).

But the problem can't be with my DVD player since many, many other DVD's have played without a single flaw, and they look the same on inspection and comparison to the B5 DVD disks.

Sound goes out? On my DVD's the sound of some conversations comes out different from the rest of the show. It only happens in one scene each ep and only from a particular camera angle. I think it is b/c they didn't have enough time to make sure everything was perfect on the set when making the show. So sometimes dialog sounds different every now and then.

I'm having a hard time describing it. You can usually still hear the dialog, but it "goes out" and "gets fuzzy" or "static-y" or something.

And there is no visible scratch of any kind on any of my disks. And no other series or movie has done this on my DVD player. Although I've only played a couple of episodes of one other series, and two other movies on it. But so far it seems to be a B5 DVD audio defect only.

I'm having a hard time describing it. You can usually still hear the dialog, but it "goes out" and "gets fuzzy" or "static-y" or something.

I've noticed that as well. It's when sometimes you hear things crystal clear then the next moment it's all harsh or coarse and the volume is lowered a bit.

Yeah that's what i have on mine. I still think it comes down to when they shot the scenes.

Crusade has some scenes like that, too.

e.g. The last act of The Memory of War. At the start of the scene, it has Dureena on the bridge with Gideon watching Galen leave. The part where they're commenting about Galen being all alone at the end of the day doesn't sound right until Gideon sits down in his command chair. Prior to that, on the walk from Dureena to the command chair, he just doesn't sound right. It looks like his lips aren't even moving while he's talking, almost like the lines were put in later, in a scene where it'd be hard to tell that Gideon really wasn't talking.

So it is just more noticeable on the DVD than it was on broadcast tv or on vcr tape? That's interesting.

As I said, it is not enough for me to regret my purchase. But it's the most noticeable "flaw" to me.

Still, they are great to have and the extras are fantastic. It's very interesting to hear JMS walk us through an episode. I do hope the next set is chop-full of extras. I would be willing to pay more for a whole disk, say, or "extras". /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Personally, I haven't noticed this problem on the B5 S1 R1 DVDs. I've just noticed that overall the sound level seems low, but then again, I haven't popped out the B5 DVDs and immediately put in a movie DVD (any movie DVD) or another series DVD (e.g. Buffy S1 or S2) either.

Right now, the stereo receiver I'm using does not have a remote, and so I notice the disparity more because I have to get up and go over to the receiver to change the volume. On the plus side, I'm listening through four really good speakers[1]. If I set the sound level for normal TV or the Laserdisc, when I put the B5 DVDs in, I have to crank up the stereo quite a bit to get the same sound levels. Then, when I go back to a regular TV signal (e.g. cable thru DVD recorder's tuner), the sound is too loud.

[1] I really notice the clarity of my setup now, because when I go over to my cousin's house and watch on their big screen TV (4:3 Hitachi), their sound isn't as clear and you have to strain to hear the words sometimes (plus they almost always have the surround cranked up too high). They have one of those cheap surround setups. I prefer my regular old stereo setup (A & B, two speakers each) with much higher quality speakers. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I've noticed that with ALL DVD's not just B5. About the low sound level. Also noticed that the CGI scenes are alot louder htan the dialogue, but I think that was the case originally.

What I am talking about is different than the low sound level. Again, I have two different ways to play the sound. But suddenly, for brief periods during certain scenes, the sound just gets messed up somehow. Then it's gone and back to normal.

Probably it is just a problem in the original that is more noticeable to me because I have the sound up higher and the DVD sound is clearer.

In my case it's a minor, relatively insignificant annoyance. And I am finding now that it occurs in very few of the episodes, so I am really very happy with the set so far (after doing a little skipping around, I'm back to watching it in order and I'm on deisk 4 now).

Ive watched all of the first 3 disks, the commentaries on 4 and 6, and the special features, and didnt notice any thing wrong with the sound besides the relatively low volume, but its like that on every DVD I've viewed on either my player or my dad's.

TJ

Ive watched a few of the episodes so far, and still no sound problems. I did notice the "blue lines" that people talked about in a Down Below scene in Soul Hunter. It was only for that one scene and barely noticable. Ill bet the people that do see it have large TVs and the ones that dont, dont. Either way its a small thing. Everything else seems great.

TJG, as Joe mentioned above, the reason for the lower sound on virtually all DVD players is the increased dynamic range. This means that the difference between the softest sounds and the loudest on DVD is much greater than on TV, and even that VHS tape. So, since dialogue and normal ambient sound is much closer to the low volume end, and very loud sounds are rare, the DVD output seems low compared to other things. If you turn up the volume so that the normal sound levels sound as loud on the DVD as with other inputs, when you get to a really loud passage in the DVD, if it has one, it will be louder than the loud passages from other sources. VHS is that way compared to TV too, just not nearly as much. TV audio is compressed to reduce the dynamic range. If you have digital cable, or sattelite, using that system's menu, check the audio settings. You will probably be able to choose between light, heavy, and no compression. Set it to heavy, and listen to the TV. Then set it to no compression, and listen to the TV. With no compression, the sound from the TV will be lower, on all but the loudest passages. The DVD has no compression for dynamic range, and so it is the same effect.

Hypatia, your problem with sound dropouts -- you should replay the same spot in the DVD where you heard the dropout, to see if you hear it again. If you don't, it was probably a malfunction of the player, perhaps a dirty lens. Yeah, I know it's new, but it can happen. If it happens again in the same spot, it is either a defect in the disc, or possibly your player has a problem reading that spot for some reason. If you could play it in another player, and it plays okay, it would most likely be a fault of the playback programming (firmware) of your player. Manufacturers do update their firmware if it has enough problems, and many do it for free, but it will usually require a trip to the shop. I found most of this info by reading Jim Taylor's DVD FAQ, link above.

Back