• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Viewing order for B5 movies

whitestar1969

Hi all,

I'm new here so I guess this one's been discussed before but can anyone tell me the correct viewing order for the B5 movies. I think I'm right in saying that JMS suggests that 'In the Beginning' should be first before 'The Gathering' but I'll be re-watching the whole story with somebody who hasn't seen B5 before and I'm worried that 'In the Beginning' reveals too much of the story to come later. Any ideas?

I have the complete universe box set on order and can't wait to watch it all again. :D

Personally, I would watch the Gathering first, then watch up until War Without End, before uncapping "In The Beginning", unless the person you are bringing into the fold is impatient and won't stick with you until WWE. Just personal opinion. Some would reccomend In the Beginning to be used as a hook.

I agree with GKE: watch "In The Beginning" after season four. It was produced and first broadcast after season four was done and broadcast, and I tend to favor its place in that order since it reveals things about the Earth-Minbari War that we also learn about in season four (Delenn's placement and responsibility, which we learn about in season four's "Attonement"). I personally like learning about it first in "Attonment" because it's such a dramatic point of the episode: that she's worried that the bigwigs in the Minbari government are going to try to say that she underwent the change to into being human and wants to be with Sheridan out of feeling guilty for being the deciding vote for the Minbari to go to war with Earth.

Personally, I'd start with Midnight on the Firing Line. To be honest I don't think The Gathering would be a good indication of the series if I was trying to get a friend hooked. Also I saw In The Beginning before Season One...i regretted it, it would spoiled delenn's transformation, sinclair's mystery. Its a good film, but meant to be seen after season 4.

The Gathering has too many character introductions and arc starts in it. They slow it down. When your friends like the story is the time to go into geek mode.

I once showed The Gathering to a friend who had never seen B5 and was skeptical about the whole thing. I warned him that that show gets better and all the other appropriate precautions. He liked it though he hasn't gotten around to seeing the show (and no, he's definitely not the kind of person who would say he liked when he didn't.)

if you had shown him Midnight first, he would have been through the series by now. :)

Season 1 was much stronger than the pilot...as should be expected....Just my opinion

edit: ^^ do you really have 11,000 posts? wow

Thanks all for the suggestions - very helpful. I'd agree that 'In the Beginning' should be watched later on and after season 4 certainly seems a sensible time to view it. I also think that perhaps 'The Gathering' isn't the best way to get somebody new hooked on B5 but I think I'll start them with that anyway and make sure they stay with the show with the promise that the best is yet to come. I actually started watching the show at the end of season 2 myself and needless to say I became addicted straight away.

I would definately agree that ItB should be viewed after Season 4 for all the reasons listed above. Although it is weak in B5 terms, I would still get your friend to watch Gathering first, then immediately make him watch Midnight. He should see the increase in quality between pilot and S1. You can then also point out that the improvements between S1 and S2 are even greater ;)

No one has actually listed a proper viewing order!

1. The Gathering
2. In The Begining (After Season 4)
3. Thirdspace (Technicially you should watch this after Season 4 E8 The Illusion of Truth )
4. River Of Souls
5. Call To Arms
6. LOTR

# River of Souls
# The Legend of the Rangers

These two should both be viewed before the finale of season 5. All according to the lurker's guide.

I'd actually place In the Beginning last, just before Sleeping in Light- I think its more effective here.

And I'd place Thirdspace just below Illusion of Truth, and say that Zack is getting a replacement uniform in the teaser of Illusion... to replace the one that got ripped in Thirdspace. Does that make sense?

Just below? Meaning after? Meaning what I said?

Your post is conflicting. Do you mean to say before IoT or after IoT?

Lurkers guide suggest's it is Chronological. However they do list In The Beginning be the second movie watched right after The Gathering. I merely altered that entry to be up to everyones standard here who say to watch it after S4.

Just below? Meaning after? Meaning what I said?

Your post is conflicting. Do you mean to say before IoT or after IoT?

Heh, it means I can't type properly. It should have said 'before', not below! Dunno where that came from.

To be crystal clear: I would put Thirdspace between Epiphanies and Illusion of Truth.

A Call to Arms (probably December 2266) takes place after Legend of the Rangers (sometime in 2265.) (Crusade S1 is set in 2267.)

Among other things, the Telepath War has only recently ended (and Lyta died) at the time of the Rangers pilot. By A Call to Arms Psi-Corps has been disbanded, the new rules for telepaths are in place, telepaths have been allowed into Earthforce and wounds have healed sufficiently for a memorial to those killed on both sides to be erected.

Regards,

Joe

A Call to Arms (probably December 2266) takes place after Legend of the Rangers (sometime in 2265.) (Crusade S1 is set in 2267.)

Among other things, the Telepath War has only recently ended (and Lyta died) at the time of the Rangers pilot. By A Call to Arms Psi-Corps has been disbanded, the new rules for telepaths are in place, telepaths have been allowed into Earthforce and wounds have healed sufficiently for a memorial to those killed on both sides to be erected.

Regards,

Joe

Thanks for the spoilers :(

Lyta's death during the Telepath War isn't exactly a spoiler because we never see it; it's a story that just hasn't been told. We only know it happens through jms's contact with fans through the internet and his having told us that way that it is during that conflict that she dies.

Back