• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

New B5 movies dvd!

I think the mystery around all of that was very cool. It ended sort of anti-climatically to me though as they never really came OUT of the gate before it was destroyed. I always had the impression that for travel in Thirdspace being faster...it sure took those ships forever to come out of the gate. :p

But I always liked how Thirdspace dealt with a million year old Vorlon device and uncovering an older and completely evil race.

I've always wondered if the Thirdspace aliens are the ones referred to in "Legend of the Rangers."

I've always wondered if the Thirdspace aliens are the ones referred to in "Legend of the Rangers."

I never thought about that. I remember at the end of the movie, Lyta was saying something about the Vorlons having made many mistakes. Maybe the Hand is one of them.

And Recoil, I thought the same thing about how slow those ships were coming out of the artifact. :LOL:

#%*(&#%*&#

I boguht the movies dvd on sale at borders for $49.99, 10$ off and friggin gathering is scratched, thirdspace was scratched, and not on its holder...if I take it back will they give me replacement discs?

Most retailers will give you a whole new set. When I've encountered scratched discs at a brick and mortar store (which I didn't this time, oddly enough) I open them in the car before leaving the property. When I return them I show the clerk the problem and insist on having the replacement set opened by store personnel and the discs checked visually. If the new set is fine I take it, but if not I'll try to get them to mix and match and make one good set. When I bought S1 I made a local Best Buy open every set they had on the shelf and they were never able to create a complete set because every one of them had a scratched disc 2. :)

Yeah, the sound should be subtly better on all the sets because the all the movies have been given Dolby Digital 5.1 sound remixes. The broadcast masters were analog Dolby Surround (which was and is all that analog broadcast TV and most cable systems can handle.) So the 5.1 mixes will be slightly more dynamic and maybe isolate the rear channels a bit better, but it won't be as dramatic as it would be with a film originally mixed for DD 5.1. (Except possibly in the case of ACtA, which I'm pretty sure was first mixed for DD 5.1 and then down-mixed to analog surround, on the theory that there would someday be a 5.1 DVD release. Same with the Crusade episodes.)

Inherent in remixing the sound is the ability to clean it up somewhat and balance the elements. So even on non-5.1 systems TG and ItB may sound better than the previous DVD release, and the other films will probably sound better than they ever did on television.

I've just got ACtA to go now. :)

Regards,

Joe

I think the disc art is just a classic screw-up, and so kind of charming. They obviously mocked up some labels based on the S5 discs to play around with the colors and get approval for the over-all design. Then they either forgot to redesign the "character band" for each one or they did and just forgot to attach the new artwork file to the label lay-out file. And nobody caught it because disc art is so small and so unimportant generally.

I've now seen TG and ItB once each, with commentary and subtitles (because I recently restarted watching the series in order and therefore had watched the double feature disc not long ago.) Last night I watched The River of Souls all the way through for the first time since the night it premiered, when I found it very disappointing. Since that impression was echoed by so many other fans I really haven't bothered watching it since, except to play it in the background until the Lochley holo-brothel shots came up if I happened to stumble across a rerun on TNT or Sci-Fi.

I have to say now that I was wrong. The movie is better paced than I recalled, Martin Sheen's performance is better and less odd, the humor works better. Maybe the fact that I was hoping for something different, that it originally aired in the middle of S5 and seemed more like an interuption than a bonus, or the fact that I watched it in a hotel room outside of St. Louis midway through a 15 day business trip the first time I saw it made it seem worse than it was. But having actually seen The River of Souls for only the second time last night, I have to say I liked it. Lochley in the pink teddy is no longer the film's only redeeming contribution to the B5 canon in my eyes. (Although those scenes are certainly very nice additions. And Jerry Doyle's reaction to her is priceless) I watched it again tonight with the commentary track and I think I like it even better now. :)

Later tonight: Thirdspace

Regards,

Joe

I felt the same way about Thirdspace. I watched it last night & wondered why it seemed better this time. Maybe we were expecting too much from the movies back then, but now that time has passed we can judge them with a less critical eye.

Tammy

#%*(&#%*&#

I boguht the movies dvd on sale at borders for $49.99, 10$ off and friggin gathering is scratched, thirdspace was scratched, and not on its holder...if I take it back will they give me replacement discs?

I bought something at Suncoast that takes the scratches out of DVDs. I was getting so fed up with returning scratched discs. I think it's called DVD-RX. It actually does a pretty good job.

Tammy

I don't think the Zach elevator scene is "hysterical" more or less, makes you cringe. Zach has always been your blue collar guy, and Jeff Conaway nailed the character during series. He wasn't the dashing security, and wasn't exactly a ladies man. I think his portrayal of that scene in the elevator was PERFECT. Every guy who has ever tried to talk to a girl at some point has felt like Zach. Watching him do that scene made me uncomfortable just watching him, about how he got nervous when she wasn't responding, and started rambling on, his relief at when the elevator started moving, his forgetting where he was going, it totally de-railed him. It was a great character scene and something that was done incredibly well.

It's even better when you read the Thirdspace novelization and can get insight into what Zack was thinking at the time.

#$%((&@$ I took back my set and they gave me new 1st adn 3rd discs (Had to go through their 2 other sets to get good ones!) and the thirdspace disc is scratch free but it wont play! I put it in my player and it says "Please enter a playabale disc" @*(%$#%#% and that was my favorite movie. argh.

TJ

#$%((&@$ I took back my set and they gave me new 1st adn 3rd discs (Had to go through their 2 other sets to get good ones!) and the thirdspace disc is scratch free but it wont play! I put it in my player and it says "Please enter a playabale disc" @*(%$#%#% and that was my favorite movie. argh.

TJ

:confused: Before you take it back, you might try washing it. Use non-abrasive, liquid dish soap and lukewarm water. Wet the read surface. Put on a little dish soap (I use Dawn.), and gently soap-up the read surface with your fingers/thumbs. You're just trying to clean an invisible film off the read surface. Then rinse under lukewarm water, and gently dry with a fresh, clean dish towel, wiping radially away from the center. When dry, try it in your player again.

Hope that works for you. It's made seemingly flawless discs, which were unplayable, play perfectly fine, for me. BTW, I've never had this problem with a B5 DVD. Scratches, yes, but I've never had to wash one.

Good luck.

thirdspace worked in our downstairs dvd player...the other 4 discs worked fine up here (includign the scratched gathering before i took it back)

strangely, a eric clapton dvd would not load downstairs but works up here...

DOes anyone notice this on the B5 movie dvds, right next to the whole, there is some areas where it looks like torn, its a clearer color asopposed ot the gray, on ITB its about a semicircle..thirdspace is significantly wider, river of souls looks perfect and a call to arms seems somewhat wide, but plays perfectly as far as i can tell.

argh i never had any problems with seasons 1-5, but maybe they do have these things, i never looked

I have found this on many DVDs, don't remember if any B5 DVDs... if you look on the play surface, it's like a blob that is slightly different from the rest of the surface, it's hard to explain, but literally, it looks like a blob expanding from the center. However, the discs always seem to play fine.

Back