• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Changeling News

Furthering the concept of jms's need for accuracy is the tag at the start of the film:

CHANGELING

A True Story

Not "Based on" which can mean just about anything.

Exactly. JMS did something unusual when the script went out and included some of the news clippings from the time. He's also said that the studio had him provide all of his research, scene by scene to back up the True Story aspect.

Jan

Exactly. JMS did something unusual when the script went out and included some of the news clippings from the time. He's also said that the studio had him provide all of his research, scene by scene to back up the True Story aspect.

Jan

Yow! I find that stunning, given what normally passes for "true" in Hollywood. :eek:

Yeah, but most of those are "based on" a true story, not claiming to be completely true. JMS has said that the main thing he didn't have a lot of data on was what actually happened in the "psychopathic ward" so he had to extrapolate from what was known to have happened at the time.

Jan

Just saw it yesterday. Bottom line, I really enjoyed it. All of the acting is top-notch from the child actors on up. It was great to finally see JMS' name on the big screen!

Jan

I'm vary vaguely aware of this and have only just really sat up and taken notice because there was a trailer for it during Quantum of Solace, which I saw this afternoon.

Seeing as the latest Bond flick has taken s the highest grossing opening night film status from Harry Potter, I'd say the film's benefitting from some nice exposure here in the UK.

Last edited:
'Changeling' has enjoyed great tudio support by way of TV ads, trailers, posters, banner ads on websites and the film's own website. It's really refreshing to see.

Jan

I saw the movie tonight and I really enjoyed it. Even if you did not put his name on it, I would know JMS wrote it since I could hear echoes of B5 from time to time. There was no John Sheridan but the first lesson his dad ever taught him is in the movie

I saw it yesterday, and liked it a lot. It's a sort of film that Hollywood rarely makes these days. It echoes the social consciousness films of the 30's, and has some Noirish elements as well. I did notice a couple of verbal expressions that I think are probably anachronistic, but otherwise I found the recreation of the era to be well done.

In the beginning, it says "A true story." At the close of the credits, it says (pretty close) 'Some roles composited or invented, some (elements) fabricated.' I don't hold this against JMS. Any film like this has to invent dialog, and condense the facts. But, it does leave it open how much is true. One can't say that the film has the traditional happy ending, but there are some happy outcomes. I can't but wonder if all really happened quite that way. Very enjoyable, none the less.

Angelina Jolie is not the athletic glamor queen she usually is, but an almost frail, hosewifey type. She does a good acting job. Acting was good all around. One of my favorites was Michael Kelly as detective Lester Ybarra. His character took some REAL chances!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back