B5TV.COM. Babylon 5 forums Babylon 5 message for the fans from Claudia Christian Babylon 5
Old November 15th 20, 14:04   #31
Jan
Psi Cop

Re: WB considering HD update

For those interested, here's a thread from JMS regarding some eps apparently having been upressed but not nearly all.
https://twitter.com/straczynski/stat...07477342457861
"You know, I used to think that life was terribly unfair. Then I thought, wouldn't it be much worse if life were fair? If all the terrible things that happen to us come because we actually deserve them? So now I take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe." ~~Marcus Cole
Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th 20, 00:08   #32
Springer
Telepath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan View Post
For those interested, here's a thread from JMS regarding some eps apparently having been upressed but not nearly all.
https://twitter.com/straczynski/stat...07477342457861
I've just gone back and watched a bit of Matters of Honor remastered. Holy cow! That's miles better! 4:3, and as JMS says, looks like up-rezzed broadcast versions. The quality is far, far better than the DVDs, the CGI looks sharp and I can play it full screen on my computer monitor and the picture doesn't look fuzzy or anything. It's not HD quality, but it'll do. Weird that not all episodes have been remastered - maybe it's a gradual project and eventually they all will. If they could release a new box set with these versions, I'd be made up.

One interesting thing to note, on the remastered versions they seem to have replaced the font used for the actor/character titles at the beginning.
Springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th 20, 00:09   #33
Looney
Telepath

HAHA!!!! Maybe I'm not so crazy after all.....
Looney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st 20, 17:36   #34
Bester
First One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looney View Post
Well I noticed that my Amazon streaming versions are all now full frame instead of widescreen. I mean we know I am crazy, but I didn't watch any episodes for about a month and I swear they were widescreen before. I wonder if Amazon is somehow sourcing them form iTunes or Vudu now?!
Forgive my ignorance, but does that mean if I buy all the episodes now, Amazon will upgrade them to the remastered versions automatically as/when they become available?
Old November 21st 20, 22:23   #35
Springer
Telepath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bester View Post
Quote:
Well I noticed that my Amazon streaming versions are all now full frame instead of widescreen. I mean we know I am crazy, but I didn't watch any episodes for about a month and I swear they were widescreen before. I wonder if Amazon is somehow sourcing them form iTunes or Vudu now?!
Forgive my ignorance, but does that mean if I buy all the episodes now, Amazon will upgrade them to the remastered versions automatically as/when they become available?
I'm not sure about Amazon, but Apple has automatically upgraded the episodes I'd purchased on iTunes, I can either stream them or re-download them into my computer.
Old November 22nd 20, 06:39   #36
Bester
First One

Thanks. I would assume Amazon is the same. Damn, now I'm wishing I would have bought the series when each season was 4.99 a few weeks back.
Old November 22nd 20, 20:36   #37
Looney
Telepath

Don't get too excited. Reports are that things are VERY screwed up. From what I've read possibly more so with Amazon than iTunes. Missing scenes, mis-titled episodes, out of order episodes, is what I've seen so far. Hopefully someone is working to fix the mistakes.
Old November 23rd 20, 10:33   #38
Springer
Telepath

Quote:
Don't get too excited. Reports are that things are VERY screwed up. From what I've read possibly more so with Amazon than iTunes. Missing scenes, mis-titled episodes, out of order episodes, is what I've seen so far. Hopefully someone is working to fix the mistakes.
Interesting – I'll have to look out for those errors; I've only got season 3 and a selection of season 1 and 2 episodes downloaded on iTunes, but from what I'd heard, they'd included the correct credits sequences in Points of Departure and Revelations, and fixed some other errors from the DVDs. They've also changed the font of all the credit text, which makes it more difficult to read 'cos it's got this horrible drop shadow. Also gone has Harlan Ellison's voice-over at the end of each episode, which I miss.

One episode I'm particularly looking forward to seeing in 4:3 again is A Distant Star – in the DVD version, the Starfury that flies beneath the Cortez to provide a sense of scale is chopped off the bottom of the screen, showing just how much they zoomed in for the widescreen effect.
Old November 30th 20, 07:03   #39
Bester
First One

All references to the episodes being 'Remastered' have now been removed from Amazon UK. Very strange.
Old November 30th 20, 19:23   #40
Looney
Telepath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bester View Post
All references to the episodes being 'Remastered' have now been removed from Amazon UK. Very strange.
Oh wow! I wonder if it is because people are complaining about the mistakes. Makes sense that you wouldn't want to advertise them as "Re-Mastered" if there are big errors popping up.