• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Not Enough Advertising for B5 DVDs (& other stuff)

ranger32

If this has already been discussed, forgive me. I don't have much time to read all the posts. Here goes:

I don't think that the Babylon 5 DVDs were advertised enough. For example, TV Guide never featured it on their DVD Releases page. Every week, TV Guide features a few TV series and movies released new on DVD. I read every issue of TV Guide and I've never seen it mentioned in that column. I've seen Buffy, Firefly, Angel, etc., but no B5. Why?? IMHO, B5 was way better than those shows, so it should have been mentioned. TV Guide did a cover feature story on the show back in 1997, so why have they forgotten it so quickly?

The only place I saw any of the DVDs mentioned was in their magazine-sized DVDs special (which sold seperately back in Nov.; not a regular issue). Only Season 3 was mentioned, and, even though it was given a good review, it was the ONLY show on the page that didn't feature a photo. (Sci Fi Magazine never features B5 photos along with their DVD reviews either.) A photo would make the article stand out more to the average reader.

My point is this: Even though the DVDs are selling well, they might have sold even better if more people knew about them through mass-market magazines (like TV Guide). It just seems odd to me that TV G. would feature almost every sci-fi show DVD in the last few years on their DVD page, but not feature the best one. (BTW, my local Wal-Mart offered several B5 Season One dvds for sale when it came out, but by season three, they were not offering it any more. I had to go to a nearby supercenter to buy the others. Same story with the Hercules dvds. I guess my town isn't very sci-fi/fantasy oriented, although there were several Xena and Matrix dvds still being offered. Jerks.)

My other gripe: Hate to bring this up again, but what is the deal with the "dust/static" on the DVDs. Yes, I'm aware that the masters or copies were not kept very well and WB won't remaster them because it costs too much money. I know all that. What I'm scratching my head over is the fact that the second season dvd was a little better than the first and season three was even better, then season four got a little worse, and now season 5 (at least the episodes I've watched) seems as bad as the season one eps, if not worse! Why did the quality get better and then degrade again toward the end? Shouldn't the film quality of the last season have been better than all the rest since it is not as old as the other seasons? Just wondering. (BTW, I noticed that season two of Hercules: The Legendary Journeys was completely re-mastered for the DVD. If Universal Studios can pony up the dough for re-mastering a TV series, why can't Warner Brothers? (Cheap bastards.)

Oh, well, at least I have them all. But that "dust" just takes you right out of the story, ya know?

You forget though, sites like "TVSHOWSONDVD.COM" and "AINT IT COOL NEWS" prominently featured B5 DVDs for every season. AICN is a HUGE source for many people and them giving B5 such great support went a long way. Studios frequent those 2 sites as well and they have a lot of input on future releases and projects.

B5 DVD's got plenty of exposure. TV guide isnt what it used to be. :)

Hmm. Recently www.battle.net advertised Season 5 DVD's for a couple of weeks. If you consider that this is the site that runs the biggest free online gaming thingies.. and has about 150000 visits per day... Well, that's good marketing. Go and visit it now, it has a nice pop-up windows with B5 quiz on it.

Every week, TV Guide features a few TV series and movies released new on DVD. I read every issue of TV Guide and I've never seen it mentioned in that column. I've seen Buffy, Firefly, Angel, etc., but no B5. Why??

Ask TV Guide. I'm confused: you complain about a lack of advertising, then cite as your prime example something that isn't an advertisement. The page you refer to is part of the magazine's editorial content, not paid advertising. The editors decide what shows should be covered and which ones shouldn't. Given the mag's limited space, is anyone really surprised that an obscure SF show that barely scraped by with marginal ratings and that went out of production about five years ago gets less attention than shows that were network and/or syndication hits with many millions of viewers, some of which are either still in production or have spin-offs that are?

In fact, I think WB is doing a fine job promoting the fifth season - as it did the others, all of which got web and even TV ads. In my local Best Buy the S5 set got one of the coveted end-of-row display slots, right opposite the HDTV area and it was also featured in the Sunday advertising supplements for several local and national stores, as well as being prominently placed on DVD and mainstream retail websites.

Regards,

Joe

If this has already been discussed, forgive me. I don't have much time to read all the posts. Here goes:

I don't think that the Babylon 5 DVDs were advertised enough. For example, TV Guide never featured it on their DVD Releases page. Every week, TV Guide features a few TV series and movies released new on DVD. I read every issue of TV Guide and I've never seen it mentioned in that column. I've seen Buffy, Firefly, Angel, etc., but no B5. Why?? IMHO, B5 was way better than those shows, so it should have been mentioned. TV Guide did a cover feature story on the show back in 1997, so why have they forgotten it so quickly?

The only place I saw any of the DVDs mentioned was in their magazine-sized DVDs special (which sold seperately back in Nov.; not a regular issue). Only Season 3 was mentioned, and, even though it was given a good review, it was the ONLY show on the page that didn't feature a photo. (Sci Fi Magazine never features B5 photos along with their DVD reviews either.) A photo would make the article stand out more to the average reader.

My point is this: Even though the DVDs are selling well, they might have sold even better if more people knew about them through mass-market magazines (like TV Guide). It just seems odd to me that TV G. would feature almost every sci-fi show DVD in the last few years on their DVD page, but not feature the best one. (BTW, my local Wal-Mart offered several B5 Season One dvds for sale when it came out, but by season three, they were not offering it any more. I had to go to a nearby supercenter to buy the others. Same story with the Hercules dvds. I guess my town isn't very sci-fi/fantasy oriented, although there were several Xena and Matrix dvds still being offered. Jerks.)

My other gripe: Hate to bring this up again, but what is the deal with the "dust/static" on the DVDs. Yes, I'm aware that the masters or copies were not kept very well and WB won't remaster them because it costs too much money. I know all that. What I'm scratching my head over is the fact that the second season dvd was a little better than the first and season three was even better, then season four got a little worse, and now season 5 (at least the episodes I've watched) seems as bad as the season one eps, if not worse! Why did the quality get better and then degrade again toward the end? Shouldn't the film quality of the last season have been better than all the rest since it is not as old as the other seasons? Just wondering. (BTW, I noticed that season two of Hercules: The Legendary Journeys was completely re-mastered for the DVD. If Universal Studios can pony up the dough for re-mastering a TV series, why can't Warner Brothers? (Cheap bastards.)

Oh, well, at least I have them all. But that "dust" just takes you right out of the story, ya know?

My Wal-Mart has carried all 5 seasons of B5 DVDs. I guess it just depends on where you live. Target is just awful, though. I've never seen B5 in there. I found out that my local Target has a good selection of anime, though--even the Cowboy Bebop episodes, & Wal-Mart only has the CB movie.

Tammy

My Wal-Mart has carried all 5 seasons of B5 DVDs.

So has mine, but nothing has a favored location like Joe pointed out in his Best Buy example. Perhaps someone at that Best Buy is a B5 fan. :D

This season's set is the first one I've seen advertised during a non-scifi show. I had only ever seen them advertised on the SCI FI Channel or before the closing credits of syndicated scifi shows, but I was pleasantly surprised when I saw Season Five ads on Comedy Central.

:cool:

Back