• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

B5 Comics

Robach

I recently purchased the 1st 8 books in the B5 comics series.

Does anyone know where the last 6 can be purchased?

Specifically,

Duet for Human and Narn in C Sharp
Coda for Human and Narn in B Flat
The Psi Corps and You!
In Valen's Name
In Valen's Name, Part 2
In Valen's Name, Part 3

Thanks in advance,
Robert

I purchased my In Valen's Name comics on ebay. Here's a link to a current auction. Strangley enough, the seller lives in my town. I didn't have any luck looking for the other ones.

Other than ebay or half.com the only other place I can think of is a comic book store, although I'm sure you've already tried that. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Just as an FYI, the first 3 you list are issues 9 to 11 of the comic series. In Valen's Name was a separate 3-issue mini-series.

That info might help your search, because most of the time they aren't listed by issue title.

The only places I have been able to find the comics is online (eBay mostly) but I have picked up a few TPBs via amazon.co.uk as well.

If you need images of the covers or other links to buy comics at, feel free to visit my JMS Comics pages:

http://abyss.hubbe.net/b5/comics/b5_pg2.html
http://abyss.hubbe.net/b5/comics/b5_misc.html

Good luck! I just recently completed the entire run of the original comics including the IVN set as well. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Try www.intergalactictrading.com. Select these items to get to the B5 comics they have:

Come On In
Catalog
New Customer
A to Z Contents
B Titles
Babylon 5
Books/Magazines

Scroll down to find the comics. I've bought comics and B5 Magazines from them with no problem.

B5 Comics Listing

01. In Darkness Find Me
02. Treason
03. In Harm's Way
04. The Price of Peace
05. Shadows Past and Present
06. Against the Odds
07. Survival the Hard Way
08. Silent Enemies
09. Duet for Human and Narn in C Sharp
10. Coda for Human and Narn in B Flat
11. The Psi Corps and You!
12. In Valen's Name
13. In Valen's Name, Part 2
14. In Valen's Name, Part 3

Just out of curiosity, were the comics cancelled, and if so, why, or were there just supposed to be a limited number of issues from day one?

Bah, I started looking into your question Sinclair by going through old JMS posts and pasting them in here, but it got way too long. If anyone is interested, I can post them.

Anyway, what I understand from reading his posts was that he started out with the idea of having 3-4 issue mini stories where the comic book writers could have as much freedom as possible in the B5 universe. He wrote the first one to get the ball rolling and then fleshed out brief premises for the other writers to run with.

The B5 comics were originally a 24 issue monthly series of which only 11 were published. It sounds like sales were fairly decent but JMS mentions creative differences and not being happy with DC editors having the final say on his work.

He then proceeded with another 3-issue installment (In Valen's Name) that was originally published in the UK (B5 magazine) which was later gathered into a tradepaperback for sale here in the states.

After that, all I can find are references to his other non-b5 comic ventures.

Thanks crofootski,

I went to the Intergalatic Trading Company as per your directions and found all the items I was searching for and
more.

Thanks again,
Robach

He then proceeded with another 3-issue installment (In Valen's Name) that was originally published in the UK (B5 magazine) which was later gathered into a tradepaperback for sale here in the states.

In Valen's Name was released by DC in the U.S. as a separately numbered 3-issue mini-series in regular comics format prior to the trade paperback release.

I have 2 sets of the original Babylon 5 1-11 comics (1 of the #1s I got signed by JMS at a Comic convention he appeared at). I have 3 sets of the In Valen's Name mini-series.

I don't know how much they are worth these days, but I know a few years ago, a set of 1-11 was valued around $75US and a set of In Valen's Name 1-3 ran around $10US.

Does anyone know about the series run in Amazing Stories? I remember seeing them advertised, but have never seen the magazine in the comic shops.

Does anyone know about the series run in Amazing Stories? I remember seeing them advertised, but have never seen the magazine in the comic shops.

Those were B5 Short Stories, not comics. Three were in Amazing Stories and three were in Babylon 5/Crusade Magazine.

B5 Short Stories:

The Shadow of His Thoughts; Straczynski, J. M.; Amazing Stories; Summer 1999, Number 597; The Londo Story

Genius Loci; Straczynski, J. M.; Amazing Stories; Winter 2000, Number 599; The Lyta / G'Kar Story

Space, Time, and the Incurable Romantic; Straczynski, J. M.; Amazing Stories; Summer 2000, Number 602; The Marcus / Ivanova Story

Hidden Agendas; Straczynski, J. M.; Babylon 5/Crusade Magazine; May 2000, Number 22; The Ivanova/Warlock Destroyer/Ulkesh's Vorlon Transport/Sheridan/Lyta Story

True Seeker; Avery, Fiona; Babylon 5/Crusade Magazine; July 2000, Number 23; The Narn Story (carries on from episode 17 "Legacies" http://www.midwinter.com/lurk/guide/017.html )

The Nautilus Coil; Keyes, J. Gregory; Babylon 5/Crusade Magazine; August 2000, Number 24; The Garibaldi/Lyta/Psi Corp/Vorlon story. Connects with "Dark Genesis - The Birth of the Psi Corps"

Hmm. No wonder I couldn't find them. I don't know why I thought they were comics.

I've read the last three of those stories in the magazine, but I'd really like to see the ones JMS wrote himself. There were rumours about a short story anthology going into print awhile ago, but now it seems we'll have to wait for reissues of the old books first. God knows how long that will take with the infrequency of B5 releases by DelRey.
rolleyes.gif

thanks for the link to intergalactic trading! i just ordered the three graphic novels there :)

i'm one happy EvilSpice...
grin.gif

thanks for the link to intergalactic trading! i just ordered the three graphic novels there :)

Yes, I just got B5CO7353 Babylon 5 "Shadows Past/Present" Graphic Novel, and B5CO9816 Babylon 5 "In Valen's Name" Graphic Novel (already had "The Price of Peace"). Shipping was a little slow though, and I was starting to get concerned that they'd forgotten about my order. I ordered them by phone on 3/3 (paid via credit card), sent them an email reminder on 3/15, and received them on 3/17 (shipped Priority Mail on 3/14). Supposedly, if they're currently listed on their site, they're in stock. I don't know what happened, but I got them and they are in perfect shape. *shrug*

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back