• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Mars Gravity

Drahken

I don't know if it has ever been discussed and it probably has, but has it ever been explained how Mars Naturals can be as strong as Earth Born (and Colony's or stations with Gravity close to or at 1g) Humans? Considering Mars's Gravity is only .38 of that of Earth. Just something that came to mind when i was watching B5.

------------------

It may well be that knowing the adverse effects of lower gravity, most people living on Mars choose to excercise more. Just like the crews of zero-gravity space ships.

------------------
"We are the universe, trying to figure itself out.
Unfortunately we as software lack any coherent documentation."
-- Delenn

What actually bugs me more, is that in both B5 and Crusade, you see people walking around on Mars, yet they look as if they're walking under full Earth gravity.

I've always assumed that gravity is a little different in the B5 universe, and Mars has very nearly one full G.

Then you don't have to worry about walking, strength or bone density
smile.gif

------------------
Demon

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Demon:

I've always assumed that gravity is a little different in the B5 universe, and Mars has very nearly one full G.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The gravity difference was mentioned in "All Alone In the Night". It was a factor in the martian baseball teams performance, I believe.

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> The gravity difference was mentioned in "All Alone In the Night". It was a factor in the martian baseball teams performance, I believe. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Then why don't they bounce when they walk? Mars is at one third G. They should bounce
smile.gif

------------------
Demon

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Then why don't they bounce when they walk? Mars is at one third G. They should bounce<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Two words: budget restrictions.
laugh.gif

------------------
It's the quiet ones who change the universe. The loud ones only take the credit.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Two words: budget restrictions.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Quite true, actually.

It's the same reason why the gravity level in C-n-C isn't depicted accurately on the station (which, IIRC, should alsow be about 1/3 of G) or why the starfield didn't move out the window.

------------------

My explanation is more fun
tongue.gif

I like the idea of the B5 universe having different gravity to ours
laugh.gif

------------------
Demon

*chuckles at Demon* That would be interesting.

------------------
Ivanova is always right. I will listen to Ivanova. I will not ignore Ivanova's recommendations. Ivanova is God. And if this ever happens again, Ivanova will personally rip your lungs out.

They would not bounce. They would just walk funny. I guess somebody even suggested the idea, but the actors' guild sent the Narn Bat Squad after him.
laugh.gif

With about 40% of standard gravity, you would just walk lightly and jump high. Bouncing is possible on the Moon -- which has next to nothing in terms of gravity.

------------------
"We are the universe, trying to figure itself out.
Unfortunately we as software lack any coherent documentation."
-- Delenn

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> Bouncing is possible on the Moon -- which has next to nothing in terms of gravity.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not true.

The Moon had 1/6 Earth normal gravity.
About 15%. While it allows for a lot of "bounce" in your stride, it's certainly more than "next to nothing".
tongue.gif
wink.gif
laugh.gif

As for Why people don't "bounce" when they walk, only the fools and idiots bounce.
They also treat a lot of fools for broken necks in Mar's Medlabs.
The Astronauts got away with it on the moon because there wasn't anything NASA could to to stop them.
While they were doing it, NASA had nightares worrying about the bad publicity if one of them managed to get Killed doing it.
Highly trained as they are, most of the astronauts also have a Large chunk of "overgrown kid" in them.

Clowning around in a hostile environment is deadly, both to the clown and to the innocent bystanders.
The people living on Mars have had plenty of time to learn this little truth.

------------------
Do not ascribe your own motivations to others:
At best, it will break your heart.
At worst, it will get you dead."

Watch someone from a warm climate walk on ice or snow for the first time and compare them to someone experienced with the cold. One will probably move fairly well while the other may end up on their back. Spend enough time on Mars and you probably learn how to deal with the gravity difference.

------------------
"Crying isn't gonna get your dog back. Unless your tears smell like dog food. So you can sit here eating can after can of dog food until your tears smell like dog food or you can go out there and find your dog."-Homer in The Canine Mutiny

brings new meaning to the phrase "bouncing off the walls"
Just as a matter of interst, is there any way that gravity could be synthesized in the domes themselves?

------------------
"I am Grey. I stand between the candle and the star. We are Grey. We stand between the darkness and the light. I come to take the place that has been prepared for me"

Watched Endgame last night, and there is one bit near the start where Garibaldi and some others vault out of a crater rather easily - it does look "different", as if they were trying to imply lower g, but I'm not sure.

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> Just as a matter of interst, is there any way that gravity could be synthesized in the domes themselves? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not pre ISA. When Sheridan first gets on a White Star he comments on the Minbari having artificial gravity, which implies that the EA don't.

------------------
Demon

Fair enough, I remember now the stats given on the Omega's that they are only able to create partial gravity with their rotating sections.

------------------
"I am Grey. I stand between the candle and the star. We are Grey. We stand between the darkness and the light. I come to take the place that has been prepared for me"

Something I have wondered about: How did the camera 'bots ISN uses hover? They don't have any obvious propulsion system.

------------------

Walking in low gravity would probably not be much different.
Maybe a litle bit of the "walking on ice" sort of stride.
Running, OTOH, would look Very different due to the lower traction.
A LOT of "Running on Ice" sort of differences plus undoubtedly some bouncing.
Running on Mars could very well look a lot like a series of long hops.
Cornering would be a Bitch.
Sports like Baseball would require some interesting skills going round the bases.
Not to mention the size of the outfield.

Basketball would no longer be a "Tall guys" game when anyone could slam dunk.

Soccer would require some serious thought when a good solid kick could send the ball a mile down the field if no one got in front of it.

Football might have to be restricted to Flag rules.
Tackling the ball carrier too close to the goal could carry him Across the goal as easily as taking him down.
And forget about kicking field goals.
You could do That from two field lengths away.

------------------
Do not ascribe your own motivations to others:
At best, it will break your heart.
At worst, it will get you dead."

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back