• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Just how similar are DS9 and B5?

Yes, and then they killed off her characer anyway in one of the lamest and most pathetic main character deaths I've ever seen...wiht perhaps the exception of Kirk's.

Now I am intrigued - I lost track of DS9 quite early on, and was never really able to get back into it even when people started telling me it was getting very good. And as for Worf getting off with Dax, well ... no, frankly.

As a matter of interest, what lame method did they use to kill her off?

As a matter of interest, what lame method did they use to kill her off?

Dax was shot By Gul Dukat at the end of season 6 in Tears of the Prophets .

Oh yeah the another one was...
How much of a ripoff of Mindwar was the Gift in Voyager... Kes/Jason evolution things...
They both may be a ripoff of 2001.

To a small extent, yes. However, I know exactly what macmaccaman is saying here. The dialogue was stolen from B5 almost word for word. When I saw that on Voyager I almost peed my pants from shock and anger. :mad:

Imitation may be the greatest form of flattery, but theft is just downright RUDE! :mad:

I've always been able to spot the outright theft by Trek from B5. Sadly, there are so many instances of it...I can't begin to remember them all, much less name them.

This was and still remains one of the main reasons why my image of DS9 has and always will be very low. It's a stolen product, no matter how you try to whitewash it. And in my mind, that makes it not worthy of my respect.

Perhaps it's the writer and filmmaker in me that causes this reaction. If it were my story that was stolen like that I don't know if I could've remained as calm as JMS has.

Not to mention, I've just never thought that DS9 was ever as good as B5. It became way too wordy and preachy and awfully full of itself (a problem Trek has in general under B&B's direction with no real foundation for such a self important view).

I think it would be poetic justice for Paramount to hire JMS to replace B&B in the captain's chair of Trek. :D

God willing it will happen. ;)

A lot of you around here know JMS better than I. But I would tend to think he wouldn't take the job.

Write an episode or two for them? Maybe, sure, why not?
But take over a burnt-out franchise that tried to ruin him? Again, many of you know JMS better than I do, but I'd find that unlikely.

Hard for me to imagine JMS running a Trek Series as well. Like you said, maybe an ep or 2, or maybe even a feature film or Pilot (Although he might be concerned how they'd poop on it if it went to series).

JMS always seems to have a more-than-healthy disrespect for authority, as is evident with his friction with TNT over Crusade and MGM over Jeremiah. He seems to me to be a producer who wants complete and utter control of his creations. I don't think that would be possible in the Trek franchise. And if so, most likely short-lived.

The easiest thing would be to give JMS a film to write. I do not think that they have made a DS9 film, yet.

:LOL: God, would THAT BE SO FUCKING FUNNY! :LOL: :LOL:

Sorry, but the irony of that would joke a goat. :LOL:

JMS always seems to have a more-than-healthy disrespect for authority, as is evident with his friction with TNT over Crusade and MGM over Jeremiah. He seems to me to be a producer who wants complete and utter control of his creations. I don't think that would be possible in the Trek franchise. And if so, most likely short-lived.

I would tend to agree.

I just remembered this morning that DS9 has Leeta, a Babjoran dabo girl who marries Nog; Babylon 5 has Lyta Alexander.

I forgot about that one, but yeah! And they both had reddish hair. One point of note though, Leeta on DS9 married Rom. Nog was Rom's son and was the first Ferangi in Starfleet.

On the episode of DS9 that's on right now called "Second Skin," some Cardassians are trying to convince Major Kira that she's really a Cardassian operative named Iliana Ghemor.

Now, does anyone else think that "Iliana Ghemor" seems way too similar of a name to "Lianna Kemmer" from Babylon 5?

Oh, another thing I just remembered:

The Bajorans, who have a vested religious interest in the main character of DS9, used to live under a caste system, which is eventually brought back for some dorky plot or something late in the show.

The Minbari, who have a vested religious interest in the main characater of B5, live under a caste system.

Now, does anyone else think that "Iliana Ghemor" seems way too similar of a name to "Lianna Kemmer" from Babylon 5?
OK, lets not get silly now. I am sure it wasn't some Paramount plot to watch a B5 episode and specifically make the name of a character because "We just saw it on the latest B5 episode."

Seriously, sometimes you guys are just too much...

I'm not saying that Paramount did it because they saw it on B5 and conspiratorially took the name. With Paramount having information about B5 from jms's trying to get Paramount to let him do the show, I would think that that information might contain a list of potential characters. In trying to think up a name for their character on DS9, they just looked at the list and said, "Hey, this name has a nice ring to it."

I bet JMS emphasised the point that the most important character in B5 is Lianna Kemmer. Definately one for the outline that Paramount saw...</sarcasm>
:)

This may be going too far too, but I can't help it. It's another naming coincidence...

On DS9, Kira was a member of the Shakar resistence force. I think Shakar is the name of the person leading that group, and I think that person eventually showed up in a later episode.

On B5, G'Kar is kind of, in a way, a resistence leader for his people, struggling to rid the Centauri from their world.

Granted, Shakar and G'Kar are spelled very differently, and are pronounced differently by most. However, Londo often pronounced the G more like SH, so sometimes, G'Kar's name did sound like Sh'Kar. Like I said, I know it's a stretch, but two resistence leaders having similar names is still yet another naming coincidence.

Dukat / Dukhat
Leeta / Lyta
Shakar / G'Kar

Hmm?

This may be going too far too, but I can't help it. It's another naming coincidence...

On DS9, Kira was a member of the Shakar resistence force. I think Shakar is the name of the person leading that group, and I think that person eventually showed up in a later episode.

On B5, G'Kar is kind of, in a way, a resistence leader for his people, struggling to rid the Centauri from their world.

Granted, Shakar and G'Kar are spelled very differently, and are pronounced differently by most. However, Londo often pronounced the G more like SH, so sometimes, G'Kar's name did sound like Sh'Kar. Like I said, I know it's a stretch, but two resistence leaders having similar names is still yet another naming coincidence.

Dukat / Dukhat
Leeta / Lyta
Shakar / G'Kar

Hmm?

Do you think Paramount and the DS9 people did all this just to piss JMS and WB off, but just shy of WB taking any action? Could be.

I'm not saying that Paramount did it because they saw it on B5 and conspiratorially took the name. With Paramount having information about B5 from jms's trying to get Paramount to let him do the show, I would think that that information might contain a list of potential characters.
OK so let me get this straight everyone...

...Are you all trying to tell me that when JMS showed his "presentation" of B5 to Paramount, that he had a list of potential characters? That part I agree with. Whether he TOLD them the actual names or not, who knows. But he probably DID have names like Sinclair, Delenn, Garibaldi, Londo Mollari to present to them. Maybe even Kosh, since he was a big part of the PILOT THAT HE WAS TRYING TO SELL (The Gathering).

Emphasis on that last part.

Because if you guys are all trying to tell me that he had a list of names that drilled down into S1 Episode Whatever (named Survivors) and had the name of Garibladi's dead friends daughter Lianna Kemmer on it, I think you all are SMOKING CRACK.

JMS himself had no clue who a character's name like that might have been when he was presenting his stuff to Paramount. You can also bet that if he did, it a minor 1 Episode character like that would not have made it into his presentation.

Seriously guys...get real.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back