• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

R2 B5 Releases

Re: Corps is Mother Corps is Father intro

Here's some wild guesses:

- Misguided age rating edit?

- Thought it was all a prologue, and was unnecessary for continuous DVD watching?

I'm holding off on it untill it's fixed or will buy region 1 instead.... :rolleyes:

Here's some wild guesses:
How about - two modifications were needed for this episode.
1. Addition of an extra sound track (the commentary).
2. A special title was required.

Since one may be a soundman and the second a CGI man they were different men and the ‘lets do this on the cheap’ system could not cope.

I haven't picked up S5 yet; I think I'll preemptively email to ask them about it. If I don't get a response by end of March (sweet, sweet annual bonus) I'll buy R1 instead.

Forewarned is forearmed! :)

VB

THe fall of centauri prime disc has as many features as disc 1 season 2,so there should be no disc capacity problems..? I`ve just got the R2 release of the last three movies,and they`ve all got commentaries and intros-great features-and much better than the something-out-of-a-cornflakes-box presentation of the gathering and in the beginning.Curiously uneven standards if you consider the B5 R2 DVD series as a whole!

Well, I contacted Warner Home Video by email about this. I sent them this:
Date : 2/24/05 12:12:08 PM
Good Afternoon,

I was about to purchase this product (Babylon 5, Season 5, Region 2 Boxed
Set) but I have been made aware of a defect on one of the disks; the "teaser" (i.e. the short part of the episode before the credits) is missing.

Could you advise if this problem has been remedied?

Thanks,
Andy Leask
To which they somewhat oddly replied with this message:
Thank you for contacting Online Customer Service.

Please visit http://www.virgin.com/megastore regarding your inquiry.

Thanks again for contacting us.

Regards,
Online Customer Service

I gave them the benefit of the doubt and went there, in case there was a product announcement banner, or a note on B5S2 in their catalogue.

There wasn't.

So I've replied with this message:

Please advise how visiting Virgin's web site will answer my query about a defective disk you may be issuing?

Thank you,
Andy Leask

We'll see what they say!

VB

In response to my e-mail about the missing teaser, I was sent the following response:

"Are you currently residing in the US?"

To which I responded (having already made it clear that I was referring to the Region 2 DVD):

"No, I reside in the UK"

And I haven't heard from them since. Customer Services doesn't appear to WB's strong point :rolleyes:

I just bought the Movies boxset... again different packaging and holy crap is this not the worst one yet?
The DVD boxes (standard ones now) have the Thirdspace special features listed on all the boxes, the DVD's come with the same screenshots as S5 disks.... ffs this is ridiculous.
I'll sell them on cheaply to people and buy R1 I reckon.

Plus the menus, box art and documentaries all feature images from In the Beginning and The Gathering, which makes the two other movies even more conspicuous by their absence..

But at least the movies and commentaries are complete this time. :cool:

Don't worry, I bought the R1 movie boxset, and that also has disk images from S5 rather than the movies.

As far as I am concerned, the introductory material and the commentaries for ItB and The Gathering would be well worth paying extra for in the R2 set.

And that's to ignore the fact that, unless I am remembering wrongly, the previous DVD release of The Gathering was the original version rather than the re-mastered 1998 version, which means that the definitive (as far as JMS is concerned) version has never been released in R2.

And that's to ignore the fact that, unless I am remembering wrongly, the previous DVD release of The Gathering was the original version rather than the re-mastered 1998 version, which means that the definitive (as far as JMS is concerned) version has never been released in R2.

I have both versions in R2. I bought the first one and was disappointed in it being the original, then during a discussion on this board, I found out that it should have been the re-edit and so bought another one.

I just bought the Movies boxset... again different packaging and holy crap is this not the worst one yet?
The DVD boxes (standard ones now) have the Thirdspace special features listed on all the boxes, the DVD's come with the same screenshots as S5 disks.... ffs this is ridiculous.
I'll sell them on cheaply to people and buy R1 I reckon.

Will not bother, and get R1. Cheers for the info. That almost sounds like a dodgy pirate editon. Why is this so poor, when all they had to do was get the R1 covers and find and replace all of the region information?

My two year old neice could do a better job.

Just to say, the differences between the R1 and R2 editions prompted me to go R1 for this set - all my other B5 DVDs are R2, and it is a good set.

However, if buying from the UK/Europe bear in mind that they are still using the original (book-style) packaging used in R2 for seasons 1-3, and my set arrived from the USA with two of the disks loose and rattling around. Fortunately neither of them were damaged sufficiently to prevent them playing properly from beginning to end, although Thirdspace did have some scratches on it.

That said, I am very pleased that I did this, as the commentaries on TG and ItB are definitely worth having (ItBs with JMS and Mike Vejar is particularly good IMO).

The R1 set shares the S5 on disk artwork issue with R2.

I've just received my Season 5 Box Set (R2) and I've found the same problem on disc 5. Is there any way how to solve the problem? Who should I contact? I have bought DVD from amazon UK.

MOmega,

WHV in the UK have just started to issue a replacement disk 5 for S5 owners. I wrote to WHV at :

Warner House
98 Theobold's Road
London
WC1X 8WB

to ask about the issue at the end of January, and just received the disk a couple of weeks ago.

You could also try phoning them on 0207 984 5000, but I gather you do need to be pretty persistent to get through an dactually speak to a human being. In theory, though, telephoning should (probably) get you sorted out more quickly.

HTH,

GaribaldisHair,
thank you for quick reply.

Are there any similar problems in previous seasons? I am going to try to write the mail to WB, and do not want to it more than once :)

Regards.

bester said:I have the R2 DVD version of The Gathering and it is the 1998 SE version.

(and a couple of other people said much the same thing)

So can anyone tell me WHERE I can buy the 1988 version here in the UK? Amazon.co.uk is still advertising the old version. There's a user-review claiming that you get the SE version in an old version box, but I tried that about six months ago and it just wasn't true - I got an old version in an old version box! Now I'm wary - I'd like to find somewhere that actually CLAIMS to be selling the 1988 Special Edition version (as well as actually doing so).

Can anyone advise me?

Back