• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Upgrade complete!

Some of the font sizes and proportions seem a bit off too. Not saying it needs to be like the old format, but somethings just seem a little whack. Colors, images and the like all seem to come together well though. ;)

Also, FYI, one thing I notice that I am really missing, is the "New Posts in Thread" indication. In this skin, its pretty hard to tell which threads have new posts (since you last visit). The icons aren't super clear. I remember you used to use your 3-pointed B5TV star, and have it dark when there is nothing new, and bright when there is a new post. However, I think the old system used to shade the entire row of the Post in a slightly brighter color to make them stand out from the rest. Very helpful when trying to quickly see which threads have new posts and which don't.

Ok, last thing for a bit. The "Enhanced Editor" is freakin sweet. Its nice to be able to edit in bold, italics, font sizes and the like and see them in their true form while editing, without the code.

It's minor, but can the maximum avatar size be changed? I've stored mine on my computer for a few years now, and it's larger than the current maximum size. Takes some detail out of people's old avatars, like Recoil's. You can't see the expression on Sheridan's face anymore.

vBulletin's format seems to accommodate 100x100 pixels very well. I have some friends who run their own, and this is the size that seems to be most acceptable. I hate huge gawdy avatars.

yeah I thought that too when some of Michael Ballack's hotness went. I'll up it to 100 by 100

Ok, last thing for a bit. The "Enhanced Editor" is freakin sweet. Its nice to be able to edit in bold, italics, font sizes and the like and see them in their true form while editing, without the code.

Stupid question - and I'm sure the answer is in one of the update threads, somewhere :p .. how does one get to the enhanced editor? I've seen it on other vBulletin boards, where it's often been set as standard .. I can't seem to find it here though.

Chilli, it can be done the same way as detailed here for the Standard Editor to get the clickable smiley area in the post creation page to show up.

Additionally, one can oscilate between "Standard Editor" and "Enhanced Editor" by clicking the "A" in the top-right corner of the editing frame.

It's minor, but can the maximum avatar size be changed? I've stored mine on my computer for a few years now, and it's larger than the current maximum size. Takes some detail out of people's old avatars, like Recoil's. You can't see the expression on Sheridan's face anymore.

vBulletin's format seems to accommodate 100x100 pixels very well. I have some friends who run their own, and this is the size that seems to be most acceptable. I hate huge gawdy avatars.

LH: I was wondering about that too. However, I am not sure its the physical size of the image, but rather how the system displays it now, that is different. I too have had my Avatar saved locally. Its 98x58 and always has been. It just somehow "looked" larger on the old UBB system.

Does this mean I have to enlarge the image to make it easier to view?

Or maybe I need someone to make another larger original version of the Avatar for me. :)

Last edited:
Recoil said:
Its 98x58 and always has been. It just somehow "looked" larger on the old UBB system.

Well, the "Edit Avatar" area does contain a message that reads: "Note: The maximum size of your custom image is 80 by 80 pixels or 19.5 KB (whichever is smaller)." So, my guess is that vBulletin has automatically resized your 98x58 to fit into an 80x80 area.

Well, the "Edit Avatar" area does contain a message that reads: "Note: The maximum size of your custom image is 80 by 80 pixels or 19.5 KB (whichever is smaller)." So, my guess is that vBulletin has automatically resized your 98x58 to fit into an 80x80 area.

My Edit Avatar page says "Note: The maximum size of your custom image is 80 by 80 pixels or 10.0 KB (whichever is smaller)."

LH: I was wondering about that too. However, I am not sure its the physical size of the image, but rather how the system displays it now, that is different. I too have had my Avatar saved locally. Its 98x58 and always has been. It just somehow "looked" larger on the old UBB system.

Does this mean I have to enlarge the image to make it easier to view?

Or maybe I need someone to make another larger original version of the Avatar for me. :)

Recoil, you're at 80x47, so it looks like Vacantlook was right and VBulletin re-sized your 98x58 down to an 80 wide, and 47 is where it fell to keep the proportions the same.

If somebody made you a new one, all you'd gain is height. It does look like your current avatar could use a bit more brightness and contrast.

It seems that as avatars get smaller, you have to up the brightness, contrast and sharpness to keep them recognizable. I start with 160x120 TIF files, crop down to the desired final size while trying for good composition, and then save as a JPG. Had to save my current one as a JPG-6 instead of my usual JPG-8 or JPG-10 to keep the size down to 10KB.

KoshN said:
"...or 10.0 KB (whichever is smaller)."

How odd! I copied and pasted the piece I quoted -- and I went into my CP just now to check again -- and it says for me "19.5 KB".

Last edited:
Also, FYI, one thing I notice that I am really missing, is the "New Posts in Thread" indication. In this skin, its pretty hard to tell which threads have new posts (since you last visit). The icons aren't super clear.

Not sure if I can bring back the shaded-row thing, but I have just changed the icons. I think it's much clearer now to spot new posts. Try ctrl-f5 if you don't see them when looking at a topic list.

Are we really going to be using the yellow dialogue bubble icon
icon1.png
like it's showing up right now because oww! my eyes are being fused by the brightness!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back