• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

I met Mira Fulran today

AntonyF

Administrator
Staff member
Met Mira Fulran at Collectormania today.

She was quite friendly/smiley and all, but not very chatty. I tried to engage her in conversation, but ti wasn't working.

This is our conversation. I'm typing her stuff from memory, so may not be word for word.

Me: "Hi, etc. I've chosen a Lost picture for you to sign, as it's a better picture, but I am a B5 fan primarily." [Lots of you were great in B5, great to see you in Lost etc.] "Your Lost character reminds me of Delenn but with more guns", I joked.
Mira: "I don't think they're alike."
Me: "Well in a sense that they can really tell a story, and draw you in. They're very compelling."
Mira: "That's because I play them both."
Me: "So, what brings you to the UK?"
Mira: "You know... a couple of conventions".
Me: "Oh, well, thanks nice to meet you. Toodle pip".

Okay I didn't say toodle pip. But that that was it. Kind of annoying. You pay £15, there was no one queuing.. some actors make more of an effort to talk to you than others.

I did meet Marc Singer. He came across as a lot nicer and more appreciative to talk to fans.

Still, Mira was no where near as bad as Robert I-Can't-Be-Bothered-To-Speak-To-You Picardo.

So Robert Picardo's real personality is basically the exact same personality as any other character he has every played eh? Makes sense. Amazing range that guy has...

I also had a short meeting with Mira Furlan today and she signed her photograph.

I had a good chat with Pat Tallman, I think she will recover, eventually.

So Robert Picardo's real personality is basically the exact same personality as any other character he has every played eh? Makes sense. Amazing range that guy has...

Well other people have said he's witty and charming. Maybe I caught him on a bady day. But the thing is that brief minute or two is what you build your entire opinion on. But with me, he just couldn't give a damn. He was basically rude.

You should have told Mira how crazy all of us are. ;)

BTW....Mira Fulran? :p

Wow, I mis-spelt that not once but twice! This reminds me of when I mis-named Claudia in a thread, and it took about eight attempts to correct it. :) Well, if she'd have spent more time with me yesterday maybe I'd know her name!

When I think about what conventions and publicity events are like, I'm actually surprised when any of them are nice.

This is why I actually don't want to meet actors and musicians and writers who's work I enjoy.

Let me ask this question then, Ant....

Did you mispell her name or pronounce it "Fulran" when you talked to her? Maybe she was curt with you for that. She would be thinking, "Stupid Brits. Can't get my name right!"

:LOL:

I also met Mira, Pat, and Julie Catlin Brown at Collectormania.

Loads of us around and we have no whay of recognising each other....

...Well, you lot might recognise me, as I'm the one in Ranger uniform.

The worst star at a signing is William Shatner, I paid £25 and he didn't even look up to say hello. :mad:

That's rude! :mad:

Reminds me of some customers that I ring up at the grocery store that I work in. Some of them won't even SPEAK to you. :LOL:

This is why you go with the cast of Firefly at conventions. They love the fans, especially Nathan Fillion.

Of course, they haven't been at it quite as long as Shatner.

When I think about what conventions and publicity events are like, I'm actually surprised when any of them are nice.

This is why I actually don't want to meet actors and musicians and writers who's work I enjoy.

I know what you mean. Happened to me with Brent Spiner back in ~1993. OTOH, when I met Mira in Feb. 1997, she was cordial, and clearly having a fun time at the con. I've met Pat 2 or 3 times and she was <u>always</u> nice. :D Ditto for Peter Woodward, Jeff Willerth, Michael Dorn (TNG/DS9), ....and James Doohan (who I met at a Trek con. way back in 1975).

Wish I would've been able to make it to the 1999 con. in eastern PA, where all of the Crusade cast appeared (but I had a conflicting annual meeting of the Pennsylvania Railroad Technical and Historical Society), and wish I would've met Andreas. :(

The worst star at a signing is William Shatner, I paid £25 and he didn't even look up to say hello. :mad:

As bad as it sounds defending this....just try to put yourself in his shoes...

He's been doing conventions for FORTY YEARS. Hell Star Trek is the reason conventions even exist. Try doing something like that and be expected to bring your "A" game to every single one with the same types of fans and questions time, after time, after time, after time...

25 bucks and he didn't even look up: that's not even close to trying for an "A" game.

If you're burnt out of the convention scene: stop doing it.

If you continue in order to make money, at least have a little respect for the fans who are giving you that money.

When they charge 25 pounds (sorry, it was pounds, not dollars) for a signed picture, they are doing it for the money.

Unless that was fucking expensive photo paper. ;)

Shatner has a very strong and old reputation of disliking his fans and being rude to them IIRC (well, IIRC, the reputation is that he's rude to everyone :D ) .. I really don't know for what but money he would be doing that today ...

... though I can see how fans would be getting annoying after 40 years. But there is the option of .. not doing conventions. Many people that just weren't/aren't good at it have opted for that (Michael O'Hare for example) .. probably what I would do if I was a star :D

Shatner has a very strong and old reputation of disliking his fans and being rude to them IIRC (well, IIRC, the reputation is that he's rude to everyone :D ) .. I really don't know for what but money he would be doing that today ...
If more fans knew that they probably wouldn't be paying £25 for his autograph!

"Your Lost character reminds me of Delenn but with more guns", I joked.
Mira: "I don't think they're alike."

Well, this might have made her less likely to be effusive with you - no actor wants to be told, "Wow, you're playing this character exactly like you played that character!" :)

Amy

I must admit, voice and face aside, Rousseau doesn't really much remind me of Delenn :confused: :D

He's been doing conventions for FORTY YEARS. Hell Star Trek is the reason conventions even exist. Try doing something like that and be expected to bring your "A" game to every single one with the same types of fans and questions time, after time, after time, after time...

No, it's inexcusable. Sure we can understand that people have off days, but that doesn't mean we have to accept them. We only get a few moments with that star... we have kept him in a job, you then pay money to him and he's rude? No, it's just not acceptable. If after forty years he's having a hard time he shouldn't do it.

I also met Mira, Pat, and Julie Catlin Brown at Collectormania.

Julie was nice, I liked her. Very down to earth.

Back