• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Enterprise axed

AntonyF

Administrator
Staff member
I posted this in another thread, but thought it deserved its own one.

It may finally be over for Enterprise. Word is seeping through that it'll be officially said today.

These rumours of course are nothing new, but this time it may be it.

Re: Enterprise axed?

Bummer too, they should've killed it prior to this season. Last season was better than Season 1 and 2, although I personally got tired of the Xindi Arc, it was still better than S1 and 2. This season, though, has really been something definitely worth watching.

Hopefully the rumor is merely a last ditch effort to gain viewer support, and not an actual fate, as Enterprise has finally, IMHO, found it's way. And if they do kill it, hopefully the writers will have enough notice to end it properly.

Well,

I think I've said this before, but it is worth mentioning here. I have never been an Enterprise fan per say. I watched the first season, and for a while it did hold some interest, but a lot of the things about the show really turned me off of it. Seasons 2 and 3 I think I saw a total of 5 episodes max, and even though they tried to "re-invent" things in Season 3 with the Expanse/Xindi plot, I watched that and really wasn't impressed. Basically, I am one of those fans who wanted Enterprise to be a TRUE Prequel to the Trek universe we know, and with each coming season it got farther and farther off the mark...

...until this season. To me, Season 4 should have been this show's Season 1. If it was done like this at the start, then by God Paramount wouldn't be in the situation they are in with thier "flagship" show. This season has been the best Trek I have seen in years.

That being said, because its so good and its the best Trek has been in a while, then naturally it goes without saying they are going to cancel it. Textbook Murphy's Law.

Although, if it does happen, I can't really blame the network per say. I suppose the phrase "too little, too late" applies here. Manny and company did what they could, but were handed a raw deal given that so many fans were turned off the show, and really didn't even pay attention or care that this season was going to be different.

They should have been brought in earlier.

Poor Manny found out from the word spreading before he actually heard from his bosses. I imagine many of the cast and crew were like that.

Yeah, it must really be official now. I just checked www.tvguide.com, and they say it was announced today. The last episode is in the middle of May; then they go into syndication (and I'm assuming that means rerun syndication, not first-run syndication).

Oh well, what a surprise. It was due to two poor seasons and in light of Enterprise being the first series to be in the post B5/Farscape world really, it just shouldn't have taken so long to get decent...

Yeah, it must really be official now. I just checked www.tvguide.com, and they say it was announced today.

Oh yeah. I forgot to actually say "Yeah, this is official". :D

The press release is everywhere, including startrek.com

Honestly, I was never enamoured with Enterprise, and can't say I'm sad to see it go. Outside of Trip, Porthos and Phlox there was little reason to watch the show. I only bothered watching a few episodes this season, and didn't really see much improvement over the past three.

Besides, I now have Battlestar Galactica for my space sci-fi fix. And it's really good.

...being the first series to be in the post B5/Farscape world really, it just shouldn't have taken so long to get decent...

True. Granted, I never thought Enterprise got decent, but let's just say that season four is when they hit their stride. Compared to other series, Trek or otherwise, that's just too late.

ST:TNG got decent by S3 (more like decent by S2, good by S3)
ST:DS9 got decent by S3 (excellent by S5)
ST: Voy got decent by, uh, never mind...
Babylon 5 was decent by last few eps of S1 (excellent by S2)
Crusade was decent by Episode 2
Stargate: Atlatis was decent immediately
Stargate: SG-1 was decent relatively early (not sure exactly when)
Farscape was decent relatively early (if not immediately)
Battlestar Galactica was decent immediately (in fact, the 1st episode is probably the best of the first four so far)
Even Earth: Final Conflict was decent in S1 & S2, although it went no where but down from there
Dark Angel was also better in S1 than S2

On the other hand, I'm still baffled how Andomeda is still on in it's fifth season. Is it ever going to get decent?

Trek needs to take a break. If (when) it comes back, it needs to be either arc-driven or an anthology series (probably too expensive though), and I think basing it on a colony world would be an interesting departure. Keep it from being claustrophobic by giving it a starship like DS9's Defiant or B5's White Star. Then, give it a mystery or some kind of supernatural undertones, like X-Files or Lost.

Damn, for the first time in ages (since 1987?) we've no Trek show... and no word on movies.

I feel sorry for Manny Coto, he was doing very well at sorting out this series. He does seem to have bad luck with his shows, i'll follow his career with interest from now on.

Edit: This from an interview with Berman..

http://www.usatoday.com/life/television/news/2005-02-02-enterprise_x.htm

http://trekweb.com/stories.php?aid=4201c230de2cf&topBrowse=all
"The fact that we've done 624 hours of STAR TREK over the last 18 years, you can take one too many trips to the well. There's a point at which you can reach a sense of overkill," Berman tells the paper.

He also says that the studio is treating this as a rest, not a permanent death, and he estimates that the hiatus will last at least three years.

"It's probably good to lay fallow for a while to rejuvenate," he says, pointing to stiff competition from other sci-fi shows, almost non-existent when THE NEXT GENERATION started in 1987. As for the show's series finale, Berman reveals little:

"It's going to have some surprising twists and turns. It's somewhat of a valentine."

I think a break would suit Trek right now. It was also be very tricksy indeed if Warners were to announce a B5 movie in the same week as this news...

I haven't looked up any figures for Enterprise, but as we have discussed on this board many times before ... it matters not how good a show is, only how many people watch it (and therefore how many advertisers will pay for space).

On that basis, it would appear that by the time Manny Coto was brought in, it was already too late for the show to be saved.

On that basis, it would appear that by the time Manny Coto was brought in, it was already too late for the show to be saved.

They did this with Voyager. Bring someone in new in its final days. They did it with Kenneth Biller in the last season of Voyager... and he too improved Voyager, I feel.

Oh Happy day :LOL:

Let them trekkers or trekkies, or whatever they're calling themselves these days, feel the indignation of being shafted like we have been for Crusade and the TMOS: recasting.

What Firefly or Crusade could have done with 4 seasons...

Crusade was decent by Episode 2
Dunno Ninja. I don't agree with this at all.

Crusade had potential from day 1, only because JMS was doing it and we all know how great B5 turned out. I don't think Crusade hit its stride *AT ALL* in the 13 episodes I watched and now own on DVD. Thats not to say that there werent some good ones in there, a couple of them were good. But they were only "Parliment of Dreams" good, not "Chrysalis" or "Signs and Portents" good. The Crusade episodes filmed never had that solid punch, or feeling that every second of the episode was just "HUGE" like many of the big B5 episodes did.

Crusade never hit its stride, and never got a chance. It was DECENT in its 13 episode run, but we aren't talking about being just "decent" here, we are talking about shows taking off and really showing their stuff early on. Crusade never did. IT would have --- given some of the unflimed scripts --- but we will never know.

IMO, Enterprise never hit its true stride, as I said above, till its Season 4. And I'm talking Season 4 after they tied up that lame cliffhanger. "Home" and all the episodes after that I felt were very solid Sci-Fi television.

But as I said before...too little...too late.

To me, Enterprise became viable in season three. "Azati Prime" was the first time I sat up and thought Enterprise was good. Episodes like "The Council" only reinforced that view.

I still agree with your point though, too little too late. The damage was done, and it's a lot harder to bring people back than to keep them.

See, I didn't see any of those episodes. I had long since given up on the show at that point. The *only* reason I watched Season 4 was because of the buzz around Manny and his plans. If not for that, I wouldn't have seen 1 episode of Season 4 either...

It saddens me that Enterprise will be thought of as the "bastard" series by "fans" who think they know it all. Especially since the show is just (finally) getting good.

Star Trek does need a break though. Not many TV franchises can boast an 18-year run (Trek has been on TV in one form or another every year since 1987!). Let alone the fact that the franchise itself is over 40 years old! Berman is half-right about "too many trips to the well." When doing sci-fi, the "well" is literally bottomless. HE personally has made one too many trips to the well, and has forgotten what he was fishing for in the first place.

Star Trek's current caretakers (Berman, etc.) have become burned-out, I think. The franchise needs some fresh new blood, with new ideas, and who are most importantly fervent and attentive Trek FANS and know how to write it. Star Trek at its core is a proven success. They need to get back to that, while also updating their style.

They need to look around at the kind of sci-fi that's been beating them up. Things are being done a different way now -- I'm talking about shows like Battlestar Galactica, the Stargate shows, etc.

If it takes them a couple/three years to stop, catch their breath, and start over, then that's fine by me. I've got enough sci-fi to hold me over til then.

It just creeped me out when I read that Battlestar Galactica is beating up Star Trek.

I feel unclean now... even though I *am* talking about the new BSG, certainly not the old one. :D

I had a lot of expectations and pre-judgements going into the series: I expected and felt strongly it should be about two things: exploration TOS style and the political/military events leading up to the Federation and universe we see in TOS. Perhaps it was wrong to think like this, but I couldn't help it, given the nature of both Trek in general and the fact that it's a prequel.

At the very beginning of the series, it had promise of the former and the Klingon events in the pilot suggested the latter. The exploration situations proved to vary from pleasant to somewhat entertaining to bland and derivative. Failing in this direction (the original promise of the show and even captured in the opening title sequence), they tried the Big Arc stuff which, for some reason, had nothing to do with anything in the Trek universe. There was a lot of posturing and "fakeness" in the show (now let's make Archer moody and bad-ass; oh, alien Nazis! :rolleyes: )

Season 4 hints at finally pursuing the second of Enterprise's promises: the historical backstory. We've already seen the Dr Sung's predecessor, a Vulcan conflict that leads to the culture we see in TOS, and now the first conflict with the Romulans.

It's getting good.

And NOW they cancel it.

If they had canceled it after season 3, I wouldn't care, because the show would have just been a failure. But now that it's finally demonstrating promise- boom.

Sunuvabich.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back