• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Fierce Films: Throne of Blood, Born to Kill

Jade Jaguar

Regular
At the risk of seeming like a pimp for Turner Classis Movies, once again I am going to recommend some upcoming films:

Throne Of Blood, 1957, 2 am EDT Saturday (Friday night) TCM
This is an intense film, eerie and forboding. Toshiro Mifune's performance is almost deranged. The film is an adaptation of Shakespeare's Macbeth to feudal Japan.Some consider it the best adaptation of Shakespeare to film. Gone are the soliloquies, and the Elizabethan English which made the Bard's plays hard to digest when you were in highschool. There is plenty of action, and the witches are amazing. It is directed by Akira Kurosawa, who directed Seven Samurai. But Throne Of Blood fares better on TV, since it wasn't shot in wide screen, and is only 110 minutes long, so you won't miss a thing. What I call the porcupine scene at the end is amazing. You'll know what I mean when you see it. Check it out.

Born To Kill, 1947, 10 am EDT Saturday TCM
A while back we had a thread about the meanest characters in film. This film, with Lawrence Tierney as Sam Wild was one of my nominees. He is ruthlessly brutal as a man who will do whatever he wants, to whom ever he wants, to get what he wants. This is a classic film noir, directed by Robert Wise, who directed an amazing variety of fine films, even if you don't think the first Star Trek movie was one of them. He also directed West Side Story, and The Day The Earth Stood Still. Quentin Tarantino was obviously influenced by this film, and infact cast Tierney as the boss man Joe Cabot in Resevoir Dogs. Tierney so identified with his bad guy roles that he was in and out of jail, in the US and Europe. I'd bet few people on this board have seen this film, or any of his films as a young man. If you haven't seen it, and you get TCM, don't miss it!

I just also wanted to mention that Throne of Blood is available on DVD from Criterion (which I have).

I've always wanted to see Born To Kill. But alas, no TCM.

I have been curious about the Throne of Blood so I will probably check that out. I like both Mifune and Kurosawa plus Macbeth was one of my favorite Shakespeare's plays. :)

GKE, as far as I can tell, Born to Kill isn't available on DVD, but is on VHS. You might rent it somewhere, or even buy it really cheap. It's worth it. I am going to tape it on SVHS and save it myself. They ought to issue it on DVD as a double feature with The Devil Thumbs A Ride, also with Lawrence Tierney, playing a similar character.

Lyta, check out Throne, and you won't be disappointed! You might even have nightmares! :eek:

Nightmares? Cool! :cool:

I had to reschedle my recording of DLM this week in order to record this since I usually record about 15 mins extra to catch any promos for Jeremiah. It better be good. :p

Oh, it is still on the TiVo. :eek: Been a bit busy to watch anything lately. :( I will let you know when I do!

I taped "Throne of Blood" thanks to old Mighty's contant pushing of anything Kurosawa. I did like the Seven Samauri very much, and I saw once the film where you have the rape of a woman told from different perspectives.

So, Macbeth now. I hope I have time to watch it tonight. If I ever get all of my f****** grading and test writing done tonight. :rolleyes:

the film where you have the rape of a woman told from different perspectives.

Rashomon

So when I'm pushy it actually has an effect? Sweet!
Now I'll have to push jazz, my voting preferances, and spicy food.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back