• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Tom Tomorrow is a B5 Fan!

Jade Jaguar

Regular
Checking one of my favorite web sites, www.thismodernworld.com I came across an article about the gov TIPS program, designed to get us to spy on each other, and I ran across a line," no mention if they will be passing out black Nightwatch arm bands yet", and I knew that one of my favorite cartoonists must be a B5 fan. This website has a decidedly leftist, not namby-pamby liberal, slant, so some folks here won't like it, but I loved finding out he is a B5 fan!. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/wink.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

I just came here to post about this!

I wonder how many people chuckled about this as much as I did. And if JMS will come by it and laugh himself. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

But, no. TIPS is no laughing matter.

I echo the same question: "When will it be enough?"

When will it be enough!?!

Nightwatch armbands? Hopefully not yet. In addition, I cannot see how such a system would be efficient. In my opinion, it would cause more harm than it could ever prevent.

First, filtering the information would take huge resources. Who on Earth will reliably separate paranoid worries, malicious (possibly political) harrassment and occasional real concerns?

Legions of government bureaucrats. The same kind of bureaucreats who fail to notice advance signs of most harmful developments, including but never limited to terrorist threats.

If govenrments can ignore real concerns, behave irresponsibly despite alerts from credible scientists, economists and their own analysts, how could thousands of "concerned informants" yield anything useful?

Besides, should a government really ask civilians to spy on each other? Create a framework to make it easier? It sure provides a new tool for prank threats, malicious disruption and possibly... suppression of political dissent.

Furthermore, it may encroach on privacy. Rest assured, this will not worry terrorists. Their preferred regimes have no privacy. Should they have their way, citizens would be government property, instead of governments serving their people.

Terrorists will also learn to protect their data, just as countless intelligence agencies do. Cryptography and steganography are currently well ahead of content detection and cryptoanalysis. No amount of spying will help against clever diguise and strong codes.

Only removing the reasons which cause conflict (terrorism included) and repairing societies can increase long-term security. Therefore I would deem this project short-sighted and duboius, agreeing with its critics. This may be another instance of trading liberty for securiy.

Was anyone else here annoyed that he just called every B5 fan a Geek? /forums/images/icons/mad.gif

No. He called himself a geek there as well as labeling all of us geeks. I don't like being labeled any more than anyone else does, but face it: generally us geeks are the only ones that watch B5. Why? Because normal people can't sit down and watch good, smart programming. Normal people need their brainless survivors and sitcoms: programs that cater to the lowest common demoninator.

I'm not saying we're better than anyone; I'm just saying we watch superior programming. And here I don't think it counts as opinion, I mean superior in the fact that B5 does so much more than cater to the lowest common demoninator. It is superior in the way that it....how to explain...plays on a higher level than most of what is on tv.

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
<font color="yellow"> Originally posted by A_Ranger: </font color>
Because normal people can't sit down and watch good, smart programming. Normal people need their brainless survivors and sitcoms: programs that cater to the lowest common demoninator.

[/quote]

...and "Crossing Over with John Edward." /forums/images/icons/rolleyes.gif

A_Ranger: It's simpler than that. It has nothing to do with "non-geek" people not being able to watch smart television, because that is simply not true. It is merely the fact that ANYTHING Sci-Fi is considered "geeky." The guy's comment was based around that, not B5 specifically.

The Trekkies of old, people getting dressed up for conventions, the science part of science fiction attracting the textbook nerdy types, is what gave science fiction fans in general the "geek" label. That was what the reference was, and its not likely to change anytime soon...

I find the "geek" label frustrating. My favorite movies are mainly sci-fi oriented (12 Monkeys, Fight Club), but I don't consider them geeky. I also don't consider myself geeky(i don't fit the stereotypical geek mode), and one of the reason why is because I'm forced to hide the fact that I love sci-fi. I actually find it depressing that I'm forced to hide something I love from my best friends, but I guess that's one reason why boards like this were created.
/forums/images/icons/mad.gif
Phil

I'm forced to hide the fact that I love sci-fi.

[/quote]
Sorry to burst your bubble, but you choose to hide your affection for science fiction. You aren't "forced". If your friends wouldn't still accept you if they knew that you liked SF then I would argue that you need to some new friends anyway.

And the best way to break the stereotype about geeks and SF is for the non-geek fans to admit what SF they like just as readily as they admit to liking any other movie / book / TV show. That is something that you can control yourself, unlike hoping that others won't make "geeky" comments in print.

Do I have any friends that subscribe the SF fans are generally hopeless losers? Sure I do. That doesn't change anything. We're still friends and have lots of other things in common. We just disagree about that one. And that doesn't stop me from talking about science fiction when they are around, if there is someone else who is intersted in talking about it there as well. There just isn't any point in talking about it directly to them, just like I don't bother to talk about volleyball much here.

You don't have to hide the fact that you're a sci-fi fan.

For example, at work, I have a Next Generation water cup on my desk. Talking about movies at work, I mentioned that I couldn't wait for December so I could see The Two Towers, Solaris (the movie, not the user), and Nemesis. It's casual. It's like telling someone you watch Friends or enjoy The West Wing.

However, I would *never* consider talking about the latest Farscape episode with any of those people, or mention the fact that I edit a Jeremiah newsletter. Never, ever, will I mention the fact that my home office has a Farscape poster on the wall.

It's all in what you say.

face it: generally us geeks are the only ones that watch B5. Why? Because normal people can't sit down and watch good, smart programming. Normal people need their brainless survivors and sitcoms: programs that cater to the lowest common demoninator.

[/quote]

This is where I disagree. I am a normal person, I just like smart entertainment and I like Science Fiction. Alot of other people are like that too, and thats why I was annoyed.

Mike G., I'm sure he meant no slander on B5 fans. Geek is not really an insult. While the term once meant a particular sort of a self made sideshow freak, now it means a person well versed in some particular esoteric knowledge. It started with the computer geek, of course, and now you can have almost any sort of a geek defined by an adjective. Much scifi is very main streem these days, i.e. Star Trek and Star Wars, but B5, as much as we like it, is considered a 'cult scifi show.' That means that it isn't well known by everyone. The Tom Tomorrow guy was just trying to acknowledge that the mention of Nightwatch was sort of an in joke, and do that briefly. I think he did that, and I wasn't offended.

I'm a geek. I'm a geek. I'm proud to be a geek. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

I was happy to be a geek even before I enrolled at a college were geeks are by far the majority - I'm serioius! (though sadly it's changing) There are many kinds of geeks though ... and sadly even B5 fans are (to what I've seen) a small minority in the realm of SF geeks. *sigh*

If watching and loving B5 or any other Sci Fi makes me a geek.....
Oh well then....I am a geek! /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

You don't nessarily have to be a geek to watch B5 ... and not all geeks do watch B5 ... but some of us do. I think of being a geek is a compliment, not an insult. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Not sure if I would go so far to say this but ... "You don't have to be a geek to watch B5 ... but it sure can help." /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

Ok, folks, I hate to break it to ya, but posting on Babylon 5 message boards is pretty geeky.

Just accept and embrace your geekiness. Trying to be cool is a drag, because you have to constantly worry about breaking the cool. If a geek makes an ass of himself, it's all part of the fun.

It's not like I go around yelling at people to read Scientific American or to watch Babylon 5 reruns, but if someone asks me what my favorite TV show of all time is, I will answer honestly. I don't understand all this pretense that some people put out there.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back