• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Best Garibaldi moments...?

AntonyF

Administrator
Staff member
For a possible future article, I want to ask you all for your favorite Garibaldi episodes or moments... and why? Tell us why. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif can be serious or light moments, but just something that was so Garibaldi or Jerry Doyle. Thanks.

"Face of the Enemy" barfight. One of my fav. episodes.
"Survivors" was Garibaldi episode.
"Points of No Return" had great moments.
"Epiphanies" was good Garibaldi episode. There were many good moments in season4.
"Conflicts of Interest" is one of my fav. Garibaldi episode. Good acting.
In season5 "Wheel of Fire" is good Garibladi episode.

Sigma

I don't remember the episode titles, but I like the lighter moments where Garibaldi and Sinclair pull the breakfast switcheroo on Ivanova, the one where he "threatens" to rip Ivanova's coffee plants out by the roots, and the one where Garibaldi and Sheridan are ogling Ivanova's scrambled eggs and bacon. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

For serious moments, I like all his scenes with Londo at the bar (e.g. in "Survivors").

I can't remember even close to the exact quote, but there is a good one that Garibaldi says. A government-type is asking about the new and as yet unknown Shadow ships. "Because you won't tell yourself...?" Garibaldi explains how he never lets himself know what he is doing; he finds it keeps things simpler.

If I had more time, I'd try to look it up. But I do love how he says he tries to stay out of the affairs of his own life because they are too complicated, or something.

The reason I liked this exchange (even if I can't quote it) is that it seemed to be Garibaldi at his flippant best. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif 'Of course I won't tell anyone, because I never let myself know what I am doing' just seems uniquely Garibaldi-ish to me. /forums/images/icons/confused.gif

"Because you won't let yourself know...?"
"... I try never to get involved in my own life; too complicated"

I can think of two exchanges between Zack and Garibaldi.

At the beginning of the episode "Matters of Honor" two Drazi missionaries arive at the station. Garibaldi tells Zack to "explain the ah.. missionary position to these folks."

In the episode "Voices of Authority" Zack is complaining about the fit of his uniform, Garibaldi's link beeps and he answers "Garibaldi's fashion express, go!"

Then of course there is always Lenier and Garibaldi riding the motorcycle through the station. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

the "lousy dodgers" quote is classic Garibaldi. Whenever he's reading a paper you know it's coming. But Garibaldi in No comprimises shows who he is perfectly. If you are his friend he will go balls to the wall out for you. If he doesn't know you, he doesn't trust you and will question everything you do.

Garibaldi period in 'Between the Darkness and the Light' when Garibaldi is finally back to the normal Garibaldi that we all knew and loved. The next episode where he led the team that took over the ground stations was classic too, "Okay, which goes vertical, longitude or latitude?" /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

Rommie

i was also going to suggest the fasten-zip or zip-fasten part from Babylon Squared.

Hypatia's quote is from Matters of Honor, here is the complete quote:

"I'm not authorized for that kind of information."
"But you are the head of security."
"Then what kind of head of security would I be if I let people like me know things that I'm not supposed to know? I know what I know because I have to know it. And if I don't have to know it, I don't tell me, and I don't let anyone else tell me either. Now look, we have tried most of the other ambassadors, why don't you speak to G'Kar, maybe he knows something about this ship."
"Under the terms of our recent treaty, I am not authorized to have any official conversation with the Narn without Centauri approval."
"So you'll ask unofficially. And I can give you reasonable assurances that the head of security will not report you for doing so."
"Because you won't tell yourself about it?"
"That's right. I never get involved with my own life. It's too much trouble."
"This is a very strange place you have here, Mr. Garibaldi."
"Thank you."

[/quote]

Thanks very much, GShans! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif I don't keep tapes of the episodes, so I couldn't look it up. I was reasonably sure the Lurker's guide doesn't have long direct quotes from the series, either.

There certainly are a lot of classic Garibaldi quotes from B5, aren't there? He was one of those characters that got to be dramatic and comedic.

But most of us seem to be remembering his comedic moments.

My fav Mr. G moment would have to be from Divided Loyalties
when Lyta sends him the telepathic signal and he fakes it...
Talk about foreshadowing...

i have some of them on tape, and some on my pc, (uh, shouldn't a told ya that, should not have told ya that) but that's not where i got it from, i found a site that has alot of quotes
Here

For everyone's information, I want to do an article for the front of the site before we launch our interview with Jerry Doyle. So the more essay-like the better. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

"Show me the way to go home
cause I'm tired and I want to go to bed
I had me a drink about an hour ago
and it went right to my head"

It wasn't really a shining moment for Garibaldi, he was in his room alone and was getting drunk after having been sober so long, but I found his little singing rendition amusing.

-Haze

"What's up, Drakh?" /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

I shouldn't say anything more to avoid spoilage. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
"What's up, Drakh?"

[/quote]

Ah yes, the classic G-Man quote of all time. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

I can't find a direct quote of the scene, but one of my favorie Garibaldi moments is when he's is running his little buisness where he finds people or things that have been displaced be the Shadow war. One man is in search of a statue of one of his religion's saints. During the conversation Garabaldi discovers that the man is talking about two different religions and relizes the statue has more than just sentimental value. The man finally admits to hiding valuables in the statue. Garabaldi says he wants 50% of what's in it, after some discussion Garibaldi says something like "35% and I won't tell the Drazi you've been poking holes in the deities." I like it because it shows the classic no nonsense Garibaldi.

Note to Antony: o.k. more "essay style" is what you want eh? /forums/images/icons/grin.gif :

"I'm not authorized for that kind of information."
"But you are the head of security."
"Then what kind of head of security would I be if I let people like me know things that I'm not supposed to know? I know what I know because I have to know it. And if I don't have to know it, I don't tell me, and I don't let anyone else tell me either. Now look, we have tried most of the other ambassadors, why don't you speak to G'Kar, maybe he knows something about this ship."
"Under the terms of our recent treaty, I am not authorized to have any official conversation with the Narn without Centauri approval."
"So you'll ask unofficially. And I can give you reasonable assurances that the head of security will not report you for doing so."
"Because you won't tell yourself about it?"
"That's right. I never get involved with my own life. It's too much trouble."
"This is a very strange place you have here, Mr. Garibaldi."
"Thank you."

That is the dialog that GShans kindly looked up for me.

This is not only funny, but it does actually fit Garibaldi's personality perfectly. He knows a lot more than he ever reports officially. It is how he is effective as head of security (and then later, the one who circumvents that same security).

As others have mentioned about other bits of his dialog or action, this also hauntingly foreshadows his later fate in his relationship with Sheridan. In so many ways, JMS dropped hints about the turn that Garibaldi's relationship with Sheridan. But you can only see them in retrospect.

I wonder how much Jerry Doyle knew, and when. (Oops, sounds like I'm treating him like he's a politician. /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif Many apologizings. He'd never be nuts enough to go after that job /forums/images/icons/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/icons/rolleyes.gif .) When he spoke these lines, did he know what he'd eventually do to Sheridan?

IIRC, JMS generally kept the actors in the dark about where things were going. He might give them a general idea (he told Peter Jurasik that he simply was going down a dark road), but unless the actors needed to know something in order to perform it at that moment, they weren't told jack. If they knew things they didn't need to know for that time, they might change their performance from what it should be (I hope this makes sense. To me it does, but then again, I'm one of them crazy actors)

I like the time when Talia's standing outside the transport tube and Sinclair walks by and asks her it there was something wrong with it.

Talia-"No, not really. It seems like everytime I get into the tube, Mr. Garibaldi's there. It's like he knows."

Sinclair-"Talia, Mr. Garibaldi is many things, but he's not omniscient."

No sooner does he finish his sentence than the tube doors open with Garibaldi standing right there.

Talia-"I think I'll take the stairs."

Sinclair-"I think I'll join you."

Garibaldi doesn't speak a single word in the scene, but it's a classic Garibaldi moment.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back