• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Re: Wicker Man, Attn KoshN, et. al.

Jade Jaguar

Regular
Re: Wicker Man, Attn KoshN, et. al.

In the anti scifi mindset thread on this forum, KoshN mentioned he had The Wicker Man on DVD, and the timing was listed as 88 min., but I pionted out that the original British release, and the better film is 102 min.

I have just checked www.allmovie.com and found that the same company has released two versions. Both have Dolby5.1 remix, widescreen, and extras. But one, in a wooden box, and either two sided, or two discs, is anamorphic WS, and has BOTH versions of the film, even though it gives only the shorter running time on the box. The other, cheaper version, is one side, one DVD, not anamorphic, and has only the shorter version. Why, oh why, do they do this crap? But it is a GREAT film, in the long version, and the review says it looks really good. Go to the above link and search Wicker Man for details.

So, KoshN, which version do you have?

------------------
You're speaking treason! Olivia De Havilland as Maid Marian
Fluently! Errol Flynn as Robin Hood
You're talking treason! Olivia De Havilland as Arabella Bishop
I trust I'm not obscure. Errol Flynn as Dr. Peter Blood

Pallindromes of the month: Snug was I, ere I saw guns.
Doom an evil deed, liven a mood.

[This message has been edited by Jade Jaguar (edited December 30, 2001).]

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jade Jaguar:
I have just checked www.allmovie.com and found that the same company has released two versions. Both have Dolby5.1 remix, widescreen, and extras. But one, in a wooden box, and either two sided, or two discs, is anamorphic WS, and has BOTH versions of the film, even though it gives only the shorter running time on the box. The other, cheaper version, is one side, one DVD, not anamorphic, and has only the shorter version. Why, oh why, do they do this crap? But it is a GREAT film, in the long version, and the review says it looks really good. Go to the above link and search Wicker Man for details.

So, KoshN, which version do you have?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

From a response I got on alt.video.dvd:

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>
I beleive the version in the "Snap case" is the theatrical version, which if
you say is 88 mins would be right. The directors cut is available in a
double disc edition which is packaged in a wooden box. This runs at about100
mins as bostnbob stated in his original post.

I think I'm correct in saying that this is the full length version, but it
runs a touch shy of the 102 minutes stated on the IMDB due to run-time
differances in formats. It appears to have all the footage in it that was
cut from the theatrical version in any case. Anything not included is buried
under the M3 motorway.

For more details checkout this useful link http://www-phm.umds.ac.uk/Steve_P/WM/ .

Incidentally, Warner Bros in the UK are apparently going to be releasing
their own directors cut DVD of The Wicker Man, which is apparently going to
have all the same stuff as the US disc PLUS a directors commentary. See http://www.blackstar.co.uk/scp/id/realm/video/item/7000000067705 for
details.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have the theatrical version (as yet unopened, and I'm going to return it tomorrow. I ordered the Special Edition (Wooden Boxed version) on 12/27, from Amazon.com.

------------------
KoshN
-------------
Vorlon Empire

"To Live and Die in Starlight"
pilot movie for "Babylon 5 - The Legend of the Rangers"
January 19, 2002 at 9PM & 11PM EST, January 20, 2002 at 5PM on The Sci-Fi Channel (US). http://www.scifi.com/b5rangers/

[This message has been edited by KoshN (edited December 30, 2001).]

Glad you hadn't opened it yet. I would have been hopping mad myself, and I don't anger easily. When they say 'theatrical release' they mean the version cut for the USA, and the 'director's cut' was the original release every where else. Allmovie has a bit of interesting info about it. It was apparently a labor of love for several of the principles, and Lee worked for nothing, hoping to show he was a good dramatic actor, not just a Hammer Horror guy, but since he was in it, the US people recut it to dumb it down for the horror market. What an irony. Allmovie also lists segment by segment running times for both versions, so you can see where the cuts were made.

------------------

This is decidedly not B5 specific
smile.gif

Moving to Non-B5 books, TV shows & films...

------------------
"You know I? I rather like this GOD fellow. He's very theatrical you know, a pestilence here, a plague there... Omnipotence, Got to get me some of that, Hmmm?" - Stewie (Family Guy)

Just checking your first link, and it's fascinating. I didn't know that Roger Corman was involved.!

True, Swift Biscut! I only posted in the general forum, because the thread it refers to is there. Sorry.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Jade Jaguar (edited December 30, 2001).]

Back