• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Vorlons

Kribu

Administrator
OK, this is something I've been wondering about (well, I haven't actually spent any sleepless nights pondering that question, but still...).

The Vorlons: were there actually male and female Vorlons or were they all the same? Both Kosh and Ulkesh *sounded* and *seemed* male but that could have been just the suit and the thing via which they spoke.

And while I'm at it: the Vorlons were all rather old, right? What happened, weren't there any Vorlon babies born anymore after some time (when they achieved either a certain number or a certain level of development) or what?

Yeah, I know, I don't have a life
blush.gif
laugh.gif

------------------
"You've misspelled this. There's no 'Y' in liberties."
"Oh, go away. Repress someone else."

As far as I remember the Vorlons do reproduce somehow... I remember Kosh saying (to Sheridan?) that the Vorlons are not ready - it's not their time and there's still too few of them.

Maybe they multiply by placing pieces of themselves into other beings?

------------------
Canned flarn is a sacrilege.

[This message has been edited by Lennier (edited April 30, 2001).]

If memory serves, when Sheridan first met Lorien, they spoke of Kosh. Lorien said "I think I met it once," referring to Kosh as "it." That can either confuse or clarify this issue, I'm just not sure which. <g>

A further comment from JMS on the Lurker's Guide (under "Whatever Happened to Mr. Garibaldi?" states:
"Female is an irrelevant concept to the vorlons ... I think Lorien is beyond concepts of male and female as they pertain to the Vorlons...that's our perception of them, not his."

------------------
-Londo's Hair
"Vir, intelligence has nothing to do with politics!"

[This message has been edited by LondosHair (edited April 30, 2001).]

kribu, we never saw a Vorlon home, or homeworld. We don't even now the color of their planet. No war ship has a sign in the window reading "Baby on board." And B5 only had Vorlon ambassadors.

------------------
"Gideon says we all have things to hide."
"Does he? How unfortunate, I was hoping he'd come further than that. Well not that it isn't true of course, it's just that one simply doesn't have to say it."

"I was just trying to work out whether a comment from me right now would be most wanted or least needed."

The Vorlons, being Energy based lifeforms (I think), can maybe reproduce by dividing that energy and using another Vorlon's energy to create a new one, or maybe they divide like the atoms do when they "collide"? Anyway, I'm not sure if immortal species can reproduce, any thought?

------------------
We live for the one, we die for the one

But are the Vorlons immortal, or do they just live for an INCREDIBLY long time? I think I remember one character (Lorien?) saying that it'd been a long time since any of the Vorlons had died, and that's why they took Kosh's death so badly. Does this mean it had been a long time since any Vorlons were killed (i.e. in the last Shadow War) or since any had died naturally?

------------------
You are finite. Zathras is finite. This...is wrong tool.

jtk724@hotmail.com

No one knows for sure, maybe the last Vorlon died in the previous Shadow War... I don't think we will ever know. But one thing I'd like to see is a ship from the Alliance going to the Vorlon Homeworld and coming back to tell about it!

------------------

Yeah, that would be cool...
smile.gif
I wonder if anyone even attempted approaching the Vorlon homeworld after they left? Or would everyone have been too afraid (of traps etc)? (I suppose this would have to be pure speculation, though...)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>We don't even now the color of their planet. No war ship has a sign in the window reading "Baby on board." <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I know that, SamGadsby. I just seemed to recall from somewhere (Lurker's Guide? it was ages ago, so I don't remember for sure) that "all the Vorlons" were supposedly rather old - not just an old race, but all the members of the race were old.
crazy.gif

------------------
"You've misspelled this. There's no 'Y' in liberties."
"Oh, go away. Repress someone else."

all the "Frist Ones" live forever.... They CAN die but not from age or dezieses...

------------------
G'kar " No dictator no invader can hold an imprissioned population by force of arms .forever.. there is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom...against that power goverments and tirants and armies Cannot stand... The centuri learned this lession once ... We will teach it to them again... though it take a thousand years... We will be Free!"

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Entil`Zha:
The Vorlons, being Energy based lifeforms (I think)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>They're at least partly physical (silicone based according to jms).

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by drakh:
Originally posted by Entil`Zha:
The Vorlons, being Energy based lifeforms (I think)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>They're at least partly physical (silicone based according to jms).

Not that I like to agree with a drakh
wink.gif
, but I agree.
JMS has said that the Vorlons are not pure energy... there there is a physical aspect to them. What we saw in Falling Towards Apotheosis was what a Vorlon really looks like... an intergalactic squid (and I say that with the utmost of kindness).

------------------
Teeps rule; Mundanes get spaced

Revere the Founders
Obey the Vorta
And don't poke the Jem'Hadar

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Entil`Zha:
But one thing I'd like to see is a ship from the Alliance going to the Vorlon Homeworld and coming back to tell about it!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that for some reason they were unable to go to the Vorlon homeworld for a million years... I can't remember the reason why, and I may just be thinking of the humans turning into Vorlon like beings - maybe you can't get there unless you're suitably evolved or something (unless they let you in). Maybe when the humans leave Earth they're leaving for a colony they've set up on the Vorlon homeworld (or that has incorporated knowledge/technology they found there).
Attempting to go there would have made for one helluva Crusade episode though.
I also wonder about the telepath Jason Ironheart - did he become an evolved being a million years ahead of his time ("See you in a million years"). If so - do all humans become amazingly telepathic - is this a sign of being highly evolved?
I think I'd better stop now
smile.gif

------------------
Have you been taking a philosophy course for the martial-artistically challenged?

I was under the impression that Lorien's race was the only immortal one. His race was immortal and then the "universe decided that to appreciate life, for there to be growth and change, life had to be short. So those who came after us grew old, infirm, died. But those of us who were first went on." He also said, "We taught the vorlons and the shadows when they were infant races."
I would think that if they were younger, they would eventually die. So the so called First Ones are not immortal, but their lifespans may last millions of years so that they seem immortal to the younger races.
(A lot of typing for a newbie, but I thought I'd jump right in :))

------------------
"The war we fight is not against powers and principalities. it is against chaos and despair. Greater than the death of flesh is the death of hope."
--G'Kar

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Raia:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that for some reason they were unable to go to the Vorlon homeworld for a million years...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Lyta says so near the end of the 5th season. But that's more a general warning from the Vorlons that humans aren't ready yet... <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Attempting to go there would have made for one helluva Crusade episode though.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>An episode jms said would have happened if Crusade hadn't been canceled...

I seem to also remember Lyta saying in some episode that some races HAD tried to enter Vorlon space since they left and were shot out of the sky by defense mechanisms. I think...

s
p
o
i
l
e
r

s
p
a
c
e

1) Yes, Ironheart led the way and when the humans are free from their purely physical bodies (i.e. Deconstruction of Falling Stars) then they'll have a more first-one-esque lifespan and will join him in a million years.

2) The Vorlon homeworld is off limits to anyone who would dare to go near until such time that a suitable replacement comes forward (somehow the Vorlons, Ironheart, and maybe Lorien know that the humans will become the Vorlons of a million years hence).

3) At the end of Deconstruction, the human is leaving to join the rest of humanity on the Vorlon homeworld because we've come far enough to take our place among the giants.

4) Ice cream tastes good. (esp. chocolate
wink.gif
)

------------------

jtk724@hotmail.com

BTW, All rise as Ambassador Zathras of Epsilon 3 enters the council chambers.

Thank you! Thank you! You like me; you really like me! (I oughta get an oscar. I've got this speech thing licked.)

------------------

jtk724@hotmail.com

I think vorlons may have been all sadistic. Look at sebastion and ulkesh. Also the way the vorlons acted in the war. The impression I got from sebastion was that Vorlon life was very harsh.

------------------

"I hate it when you do that"

"Good"

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> written by Kribu
The Vorlons: were there actually male and female Vorlons or were they all the same? Both Kosh and Ulkesh *sounded* and *seemed* male but that could have been just the suit and the thing via which they spoke. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I beleive that the Vorlons are neither male nor female but asexual(is that the word or is that the word for somone who does not have sex?) well what I mean is not male or female just it's
smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>

And while I'm at it: the Vorlons were all rather old, right? What happened, weren't there any Vorlon babies born anymore after some time (when they achieved either a certain number or a certain level of development) or what?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I do not know but I beleive it is the same as with Lorien . ok this is what I think Lorien's race rocked up were made by the univerce, they were allot of them made and they were all immortal in the sense that they will not die of old age, but can die of injury, war or sickness(I beleive this is the same with all First Ones ).

So Loriens race rocked up then more first ones including the Shadows , the Vorlons , The Walkers of Sigma 957 and the rest of First Ones .

I think all the rest of the First ones just popped up some time after Lorien (I am unsure how long maybe 1000000 years who knows?).

So yes the Vorlons are Very old and no I do not think they multiply so each time one die's there population decrease's for good.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> written by Lennier
As far as I remember the Vorlons do reproduce somehow... I remember Kosh saying (to Sheridan?) that the Vorlons are not ready - it's not their time and there's still too few of them. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't think they meant they were not ready because they had to procreate(as I said before I don't think they procreate they sue otehrs ). I think it was more likly they had mnay unfinished experiments and projectsto do such as finishing off Lyta , remeber Lyta was not finished by the Vorlons they had 5 stage's for her alterations they were up to stage 4. They likly had to tinker with other teep's to and prolly other secret behind the scene's stuff.

Also they might have had to make more ships also maybe the planet killer wasn't ready yet? I beleive that Some of there Bigger cruisers can send out other fighter, the fighters are not piloted they must be controled from somhwere else along with the ships own AI. So Ship building they prolly had to do.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> Maybe they multiply by placing pieces of themselves into other beings? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think that placing them into other people is not procreating it is more of a way of surveilace without people knowing the Vorlon was in somones body he could go anywhere without drawing so much attention. Or just as a mode of transport.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> Written by Lorien
I think vorlons may have been all sadistic. Look at sebastion and ulkesh. Also the way the vorlons acted in the war. The impression I got from sebastion was that Vorlon life was very harsh. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hmmn I do not know if I would say Sadistic but yes some of the Vorlon's seems tough.

I mean Kosh was very worried what Ulkesh would do if Kosh was not around as Kosh loved the younger races and well had compassion for them I think he leanrn't allot from Valen . I beleive if it wasn;t for Valen Kosh would be a very different person.

Unlike Ulkesh [/b[ who was very mulitaristic and didnlt seem to care much for the younger race's I think he saw them more as a tool and thats all. Ulkesh saw Kosh as soft .

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> Written by SamGadsby
kribu, we never saw a Vorlon home, or homeworld. We don't even now the color of their planet. No war ship has a sign in the window reading "Baby on board." And B5 only had Vorlon ambassadors <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well remeber we did see a Vorlon listening post be destroyed it was on a asteroid if I remeber correctly there were like domes all around that looked like the same organic material that there ships are made out of.

We also here a little about Vorlon buildings in the short story "The Nautilus Coil, by J. Gregory Keyes" .

Also what is this about Iron Heart we didn;t hear anyhting about him after he left babylon 5 in Mind war or am I missing somthing?

Lets all be First Ones and be immortal.

I beleive all of the first immortal beings are called First Ones after that the race's that started dying from old age were not concidered first oens.

------------------
Deviot
Lincbot@yahoo.com.au

[This message has been edited by Deviot (edited May 01, 2001).]

Vorlon homeworld:

The Vorlon homeworld is protected by automatic defense systems and is thus inacessible to those who can't destroy or fool the defenses. I doubt if it is of any other than technological value - you can go there if you are technically advanced enough to break through.

New Earth:

I don't think it was the Vorlon homeworld. They would have got to the Vorlon homeworld sooner than in a million years. Besides, it might not be a planet at all... the Shadows didn't need a definite homeworld, they just visited Z'ha'dum, payed their respects to Lorien and organised there before each Shadow War.

Or am I mistaken and they lived permanently on Z'ha'dum? Was it something that forced them to leave? The surface looked quite awful... as if from bombing... possibly by Valen? (As it's known that the Vorlons did not touch Z'ha'dum.)

First Ones:

The concept of Fisrt Ones is a fuzzy one. Basing on jokes about the Drazi reaching First One status tomorrow it can be considered a relative term. I've also heard that after a million years at least the Humans and Minbari are considered to be First Ones. So it's a matter of perspective. After a while... well, a quite long while... the Humans might make good Shadows and the Minbari equally good Vorlons... unless they remember how and why the last Shadow War ended - and give way to the younger species.

Longevity:

Even if the first Vorlons were limited in lifespan they most certainly soon learned to prolong it indefinitely - they had the technology to do so.

------------------
Canned flarn is a sacrilege.

[This message has been edited by Lennier (edited May 01, 2001).]

Or am I mistaken and they lived permanently on Z'ha'dum? Was it something that forced them to leave? The surface looked quite awful... as if from bombing... possibly by Valen? (As it's known that the Vorlons did not touch Z'ha'dum.)

In the B5 book when the Icarus goes to Z'ha'dum, it's mentionned that the Icarus crew somehow waked the inhabitants of the planet from a long sleep... So my guess is that they inhabited this planet and just went in some kind of hibernation or a time to rest and lick their wounds and create a new plan to take over the Galaxy

------------------

Latest posts

Members online

Back