• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Masters Of Science Fiction

Jade Jaguar

Regular
ABC TV's program Masters Of Science Fiction is finally making it to the air, tonight, Saturday, at 10pm EDT. This program was originally planned as an anthology series, and should have started months ago. But ABC gave it the Crusade treatment. They only produced four shows, and have now burried it in the deepest of network timeslot holes. But, the word is that it is very good! It has top-notch actors, such as Judy Davis, and Malcom McDowell, and scripts based on stories from Sci Fi greats, such as Harlan Ellison. NPR gave it a great review, which basically said the shows are too intelligent for television. I'm looking forward to watching it (in HD), after 2 am, when I get home from work. Check it out!

Got curious about this when it was said that JMS would be involved .. also if he isn't anymore, though, I still am. Let me know how it was --> if I should bother trying to find overseas means of getting to it.

Chilli, I liked the first one. It was a bit like a stage play, given that it is set in confined quarters. I've scoped out all 4 eps they will show, and the two they won't, on the IMDb. Number four sounds very interesting... it even has Alex Zahara in it! Check out the info on the IMDb:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0897735/

Saw the second one last night, didn't really like it. Seemed like a lot of sci-fi chliches and plots woven together in a not-so coherent plot. Plus those angel aliens looked like a rip off of Vorlons.

I thought it was fair, not great. I agree with you about the angel-aliens, but who knows if anyone in the production knew of Vorlons?

I was looking forward to the last two the most, with Malcom McDowell in one, and the last one written by Harlan Ellison, directed by Jonathan Frakes, and starring John Hurt. But, it seems that my local ABC affilliate has decided not to show them. :mad::(

I agree with you about the angel-aliens, but who knows if anyone in the production knew of Vorlons?
A fair point, but even so, its not a very original look for "angel-like" aliens.

i just watched the first episode of this, and i must say that it is better than even the best episodes of the outer limits, now i'm going watch the second episode and see how that one goes.

A fair point, but even so, its not a very original look for "angel-like" aliens.

having watched the second episode, i thought it was pretty good, while it did feel a little like "the day the earth stood still" that's not necessarily a bad thing, and the message remains a powerful one. about the "vorlon angels" there aren't that many ways of doing a "being of light and energy".

based on the first 2 episodes i think the title of the show is rather apt. Sci-fi should convey intensity, whether that be intense beauty, joy, wonderment or darkness. Science Fiction should never be pleasant, but should always evoke a reaction, the two stories have achieved this.

Back