• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Iron Man

It seems they are laying the groundwork for an Avengers movie, with Iron Man, and the Hulk. At least, that is the speculation.

Its been a plan confirmed by Marvel since they set up their own production company. It will be along the lines of the Ultimates I think.

As for Nick Fury being Samuel L. Jackson, thats how he has been drawn in the Ultimate series for the past four years. For me its awesome, and its cool they got him to play it. I used to read his dialogue and imagine SLJ saying it.

So i'm looking forward to this movie and future ones (maybe not the next Hulk though). The Ultimates really was a fantastic comic run, so much more enjoyable than the current 616 Marvel blockbuster events like Civil War and Secret Invasion. I often lend it to comic-loathing / fearing friends, who usually agree that it is full of win.

EDIT: Some details on future releases here:

http://www.hollywoodnorthreport.com/article.php?Article=5649

Last edited:
Saw it today for my hubby's birthday. Damn, it rocked! Robert Downey Jr did awesome. Loved when his friend looked at the other suit and said, "next time....."

(grin)

I hear there are 2 more movies in the future?

Yep the actors signed for a trilogy. Nice to see that some executives actually believed in taking a risk with their product(yeah sure the first film was going to sell well, but if it bombed critically... there might have been reluctance to go beyond an initial sequel).

I liked the War Machine reference too.

My guess is that as they are going to explore Stark's descent into alcoholism, you can expect a smackdown between the two good guys. Maybe for the third film they might go with the storyline where the suit gains sentience.

I know so little about comic stories (the original on-page stories.) I do have a theory that they (along with science fiction and fantasy) are almost the last of the great epic/heroic tales. We had tales galore back in the times of the Greeks, the Romans, the archetypal journey. That seems to be gone now with the exception of Sci-Fi/Fantasy and comic book heroes. I couldn't help but see all the metaphor and symbolism in the movie.

Once I finish my MFA and start teaching, I'd love to do some serious research into comics and eventually teach a class about this very theory. I think there are so many stories out there (in comics) that are so utterly breathtaking and beautiful in regard to the archetypal journey.

No kidding? It only plays blurays then? Or do some play regular dvd's. I looked online and it said something like "plays DVR" or such.

Blueray players will also play regular dvd's and some will even upconvert regular dvd's to 1080p. Alot of dvd players will also play different formats.

Amazon has a Sony Blu-Ray player for $229. That's very cheap!

Yep, that's the player I am most likely going to pick up. I like keeping everything in house, and since my HDTV is going to be a Sony, the Blu-Ray player will be too. It upconverts regular DVDs, but it's not a DVR, there are DVD recorders, but a DVR is something completely different. It will most likely play DVD-r, and DVD-rw, both of which are recordable DVDs.

Haven't seen the flick yet, and not a fan of the comic, or comics in general, but love the Downey.

Not jumping into Blu-Ray yet. I have an HD-DVR and will wait until this plays on HBO HD or something.

Awesome, Johnny, thanks. I'm up for getting a Blu Ray soon. I hear it's kind of the frontrunner and most major stores will soon only be selling them (instead of the HD DVD,) though I have no idea how valid that is.

I think it's time. May wait a month or so to see if the prices drop a little to make room for next year's newest thing.

Awesome, Johnny, thanks. I'm up for getting a Blu Ray soon. I hear it's kind of the frontrunner and most major stores will soon only be selling them (instead of the HD DVD,) though I have no idea how valid that is.

That's completely valid, Toshiba halted production on all their HD DVD's earlier this year/late last year and none of the studios are releasing HD DVD's anymore, they are all releasing their products on Blu-Ray.

The format war is over, HD-DVD is dead, no one makes players any more. Blu-Ray won. $229 for a Sony is quite a good deal. Amazon says "while supplies last." I think that means that the model is being discontinued. Prior to that, Samsung was known to have the cheapest player at about $275. The industry says that prices won't be dropping much soon. I think there will be some good deals for Xmas, but that's just a guess. They were pricing Blu-Ray lower, to compete with HD-DVD, so they weren't making much, even selling at cost, to win the format war.

Any Blu-Ray player will play SD DVDs, and upscale them to 1080p, or whatever your display uses. They will play -R, +R, -RW, and +RW DVDs too. If you want a player that plays SACDs, or DVD-As, you'll have to pay more money. Currently, there are no Blu-Ray recorders available in the US, but they have them in Europe and Japan. If and when they make it to the US, they will be pricey, like 1k+.

I will buy a Blu-Ray player when I can afford one. There is a small company that makes reference quality DVD players for cheap, well cheap for their performance. This company is www.oppodigital.com. I am getting one of their DVD players. They are coming out with a Blu-Ray player sometime this winter. It is expected to cost $600-$700, but perform like players costing 5-10 times as much. I'd like to wait for one of them, hopefully to come down in price a bit.

I think I'm probably going to wait until next year to buy a Blu-Ray player. I really do want one. I've seen many of the display models at Best Buy and the picture is awsome. I've used my Xbox to download and watch some of their HD movies (of course they are only in 720p) but for me I can't tell the difference between 720 and 1080; they look the same. I've even held off on buying a lot of movies. I really would love to get Iron Man and Dark Knight in Blu-Ray.

Back