• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Removal of new post numbers

AntonyF

Administrator
Staff member
I've had to remove the numbers on the front page and the forum pages listing how many new posts are contained within.

For some reason on the new server mySQL has issues with them. I had to remove them from the Trek BBS and Talk CSI (big boards).

B5TV is small, I didn't think it'd matter. But I notice it keeps sticking when browsing B5TV. So performance should be better now.

You can tell if there's new posts in a forum by the lit blue icon to the left. Then when in the forum new topics are higlighted.

Thanks for the heads up, good sir. :) I wondered why the numbers were gone when I logged in tonight!

I wondered why the forums loaded so quickly this morning. Usually I have time to skim the latest headlines on Fark before B5TV would load. So much for multitasking :p

It's good that you can still see which posts have new replies when you enter a board, though...

You can tell if there's new posts in a forum by the lit blue icon to the left. Then when in the forum new topics are higlighted.

Well, that depends what theme you use ... the lit icon is yellow on this one!

:D

Just as a matter of interest, I assume none of the mechanics of this is different, i.e. the threads with new posts will stay marked as unread until I have actually read them (as they always have up to now) rather than the system on other boards whereby the posts marked unread are only those that are new since my last visit?

I have always liked the way this board handled that.

Not having oodles of time to surf the board, I also always loved the numbers on the main page so I could tell at a glance where the new stuff was, but I guess I'll get used to that.

Yeah, it still operates the same.

We're on a meaty server, I'm not sure why this specific function is very slow on the new server.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back