• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

New fan

Hi all Babylon 5ians,

I am loving Babylon 5! On series 3 just finished watching episode 10, I dunno what made me want to watch it but I am a 30 year old nostalgic kinda dude and remember the effects were done on an Amiga 1200 which I found to be pretty unique and cool so thought I would get into it. Never watched it when it first came out as I was discovering girls and addicted to Street Fighter II on arcade but am totally engrossed and into it's universe right now, I don't want this to end man!

G'Kar is my fave character by far, and the Na'an race (yes I know the spelling is wrong in my username but I used the wrong e-mail address for LongLiveTheNaan)

Sinclair was an awsome captain, I didn't like Sheridan at first but he's getting better... And after how he handled that situation just now, I think he has secured as much respect as I had for Sinclair.

Anyway I could go on, this is awsome and had to express it to others who understand lol :evil:

I don't see a need to delete this thread unless you really, really want me to. You've included content about the B5 universe and story, so it's not just a standard miscellaneous "I'm new" sort of thread. And I especially don't want to delete because I have a question.

G'Kar is my fave character by far, and the Na'an race (yes I know the spelling is wrong in my username but I used the wrong e-mail address for LongLiveTheNaan)

Am I missing something? Na'an?

I don't see a need to delete this thread unless you really, really want me to. You've included content about the B5 universe and story, so it's not just a standard miscellaneous "I'm new" sort of thread. And I especially don't want to delete because I have a question.

Am I missing something? Na'an?

I thought I read it spelt "Na'an" somewhere but I may be wrong

*google search confirmation initiated*

I was wrong, it's Narn, I think I'm thinking of Na'toth :evil:

LOL, funny that you got it unintentionally right for your screenname then. :)

Haha! Hazarr! Percivel would be proud, and Galahad bemused :beer:

I used .com instead of .co.uk for "LongLiveTheNaan"... Only had the email account 10 years =]

Well I'm glad I messed it up, I would certainly not want to cause G'Kar, the most honourable, any discourtousey :evil:

Hi all Babylon 5ians,

I am loving Babylon 5! On series 3 just finished watching episode 10, I dunno what made me want to watch it but I am a 30 year old nostalgic kinda dude and remember the effects were done on an Amiga 1200 which I found to be pretty unique and cool so thought I would get into it. Never watched it when it first came out as I was discovering girls and addicted to Street Fighter II on arcade but am totally engrossed and into it's universe right now, I don't want this to end man!

Sinclair was an awsome captain, I didn't like Sheridan at first but he's getting better... And after how he handled that situation just now, I think he has secured as much respect as I had for Sinclair.

Anyway I could go on, this is awsome and had to express it to others who understand lol :evil:

Babylon 5 transcends the effects and set problems (the floors that sound like plywood, the wall that gives way a bit when Trakis shoves a card into the room's card reader, etc.). Sure, the early stuff looks coarse and dated, but you get sucked into the story and you don't notice and if/when you do notice, you just don't care. Babylon 5 made me feel like I was there and that the CGI shots were real more than any Trek or BSG show ever did.

Hi all Babylon 5ians,

Babylon 5 transcends the effects and set problems (the floors that sound like plywood, the wall that gives way a bit when Trakis shoves a card into the room's card reader, etc.). Sure, the early stuff looks coarse and dated, but you get sucked into the story and you don't notice and if/when you do notice, you just don't care. Babylon 5 made me feel like I was there and that the CGI shots were real more than any Trek or BSG show ever did.

You are absolutley right, I feel like part of it too and the only times I've actually realised something was done cheap, was 1) the Centuri throne room and 2) the alien ship on series 1 (or was it 2?) where the 'Grey' looking race abduct other races, do surgery on them then fly away in hiding. The cast, script, story are win win win and I love how B5 is not overly popular, it's like a gem in the rough, a rare find... I can't see anything topping this in terms of sci fi adventure. Very interesting reality, and in all truth, not too far from fact... IF we make contact and figure out 'jump gate' technology :evil:

I do like Next Generation though. 90's all the way:evil:

Hey Long Live The Narn you could always make this into a general episode discussion thread, coz reading it got me to thinking, Babylon 5 was probably the first sci fi show to deal with the toll alcoholism can take on the decisions of command staff such as Garibaldi, an obvious influence on the character arcs of Tigh and Kara Thrace/Starbuck on the rebooted BSG...

As for the builds happening in a relatively quick span. I guess that for us, it does seem quick. In the B5 future though, it seems building starships are as common place as building cars today. I'd venture that building big Babylon stations, whilst being remarkable, would take within the ten year period you mentioned.

A little under two and a half years for each station, two hundred years of advancement in zero-gravity construction, and sabotage interrupting the proccess... one year, boom, one year, boom, one year, boom, then three years poof, four years, finished. And maybe all times approximate, give or take a few months or more either way...

Greetinz, jimmight!

I like Star Trek (TOS, 1966-1969, a.k.a. TOS) and Star Trek: The Next Generation (1987-1994, a.k.a. TNG) from when I watched them in initial broadcast and reruns, but not enough to buy them on DVD.

I stuck with Star Trek: Deep Space Nine (DS9) and Star Trek: Voyager (VOY) out of goodwill and inertia from TOS and TNG, and gave DS9 and VOY until the fall of 1996 when I drifted away from both shows because I disliked the shows and many of their characters, and because that's when I first became aware of Babylon 5 and saw my first episode "Shadow Dancing" and I was hooked. I have all of B5 and Crusade on DVD, and have (and have read, some multiple times) all of the novels and some of the graphic novels/comics.

When Star Trek: Enterprise (ENT) came along in I gave it a chance from 2001 to the Season 3 finale on May 26, 2004. Seasons 1 & 2 were so-so, at best. Season 3 was much better but the last 7 minutes of the Season 3 finale pissed me off so much that I dropped the show. Space Nazis?!?!?!? Ack, ptui!

I didn't see ENT Season 4 until I watched it via Netflix from Feb. 11, 2008 to March 11, 2008, almost 3 years after it'd ended, upon the recommendation of somebody on rec.arts.tv or rec.arts.sf.tv, who said Manny Coto had done a good job coming back from that Berman and Braga fiasco ending of Season 3. True, it was good, but again, Berman & Braga screwed over the finale, essentially giving the middle finger to the fans. As far as I'm concerned, Star Trek: Enterprise ended with S4E21 "Terra Prime."

I bought "Star Trek" (2009) back when it first came out on DVD rather than waiting for it to be available on Netflix (It was listed as Long Wait or Very Long Wait.), and disliked it so much that I immediately sold my DVD. As far as I'm concerned Trek is OVER.

Unfortunately, because of the numbnuts at Warners and Universal (Sci-Fi/Syfy), B5 probably is over, too. :( The Sci-Fi Channel should've picked up Crusade and continued it back in 2001, but noooooo.

I like Star Trek (TOS, 1966-1969, a.k.a. TOS) and Star Trek: The Next Generation (1987-1994, a.k.a. TNG) from when I watched them in initial broadcast and reruns, but not enough to buy them on DVD.

I stuck with Star Trek: Deep Space Nine (DS9) and Star Trek: Voyager (VOY) out of goodwill and inertia from TOS and TNG, and gave DS9 and VOY until the fall of 1996 when I drifted away from both shows because I disliked the shows and many of their characters, and because that's when I first became aware of Babylon 5 and saw my first episode "Shadow Dancing" and I was hooked. I have all of B5 and Crusade on DVD, and have (and have read, some multiple times) all of the novels and some of the graphic novels/comics.

When Star Trek: Enterprise (ENT) came along in I gave it a chance from 2001 to the Season 3 finale on May 26, 2004. Seasons 1 & 2 were so-so, at best. Season 3 was much better but the last 7 minutes of the Season 3 finale pissed me off so much that I dropped the show. Space Nazis?!?!?!? Ack, ptui!

I didn't see ENT Season 4 until I watched it via Netflix from Feb. 11, 2008 to March 11, 2008, almost 3 years after it'd ended, upon the recommendation of somebody on rec.arts.tv or rec.arts.sf.tv, who said Manny Coto had done a good job coming back from that Berman and Braga fiasco ending of Season 3. True, it was good, but again, Berman & Braga screwed over the finale, essentially giving the middle finger to the fans. As far as I'm concerned, Star Trek: Enterprise ended with S4E21 "Terra Prime."

I bought "Star Trek" (2009) back when it first came out on DVD rather than waiting for it to be available on Netflix (It was listed as Long Wait or Very Long Wait.), and disliked it so much that I immediately sold my DVD. As far as I'm concerned Trek is OVER.

Unfortunately, because of the numbnuts at Warners and Universal (Sci-Fi/Syfy), B5 probably is over, too. :( The Sci-Fi Channel should've picked up Crusade and continued it back in 2001, but noooooo.

Interesting, thanks for summary, I kinda suspected all series after TNG would not be too good so have not and now certainly will not give them my time, but some day pretty soon I imagine, I will go through TNG and yeah I like TOS too =]

I actually don't have much faith even in any Babylon 5 production post 2000 either, but I will try them.

Interesting, thanks for summary, I kinda suspected all series after TNG would not be too good so have not and now certainly will not give them my time, but some day pretty soon I imagine, I will go through TNG and yeah I like TOS too =]

I actually don't have much faith even in any Babylon 5 production post 2000 either, but I will try them.

Just to be clear, I recorded the Babylon 5: Legend of the Rangers Sci-Fi Original TV movie on SVHS in January 2002 when it was first shown, have it on DVD *and* have Babylon 5: The Lost Tales (2007) on DVD, so clearly I've watched/bought Babylon 5 universe projects since Crusade went down. Also, I will do the same for any future Babylon 5 universe projects IF they ever happen. I just don't have any faith in Warners doing right by any Babylon 5 universe project in the future.

I rewatched the Legend of the Rangers last night and was struck once again by how it seems impossible for Joe Straczynski to write a bad story. Some are more outstanding than others yet still... Warner Brothers seems to be the kiss of death for a lot of creative folks and thier projects out there... they're like Microsoft though, you just about can't avoid dealing with them...

I actually like Star Trek Deep Space Nine an awful lot (B5, DS9, Farscape are my 3 favorite Series of all time). I watched B5 and DS9 back to back when they were airing, same night on my UPN Channel (or the Channel that became UPN), and for me, that was the absolute best primetime ever

I really used to watch all the Star Trek shows indiscriminately, I was too big a fan to be overly critical, I have to admit. I remember being interested to find out that in a Middle Eastern dialect, Feringi means 'thief'. I wonder if that was on purpose, considering their mercenary, wheeling - dealing nature?

I really used to watch all the Star Trek shows indiscriminately, I was too big a fan to be overly critical, I have to admit. I remember being interested to find out that in a Middle Eastern dialect, Feringi means 'thief'. I wonder if that was on purpose, considering their mercenary, wheeling - dealing nature?

I think it means "foreigner" in Farsi actually--and there are cognates in some other southern Asian languages too, like "farang" (foreigner) in Thai. And actually, the English words "foreigner" or "foreign" sound an awful lot like "ferengi" or "farang" too, so I wonder if it too is a cognate through the Indo-European language family (of which Farsi is a part) rooted in Sanskrit.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back