• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

The Karate Kid

vacantlook

Super Moderator
I was wondering what others were thinking about the new Karate Kid movie that's coming out. Going off the advertisements, I feel quite confused.

It's The Karate Kid, but in it the kid is taught kung fu, not karate. :vulcan:

Simple: "The Karate Kid" is a known brand. Instant recognition.

Because it is known brand, it's also played out, we've seen it before. Therefore we must see something new. Instead of a white kid getting taught karate, we're now getting a black kid taught kung fu.

It's all about marketing.

Agree with KF but I bet there'll be a lame line in it where the antagonists tease him by calling him "The Karate Kid" and he decks them and says "It's not karate... it's kung fu!"

Jackie Chan as Miagi is brilliant casting. Frankly I like that he's finally acting his age- his last batch of movies have been embarrassing, and it's about time he milks his iconic status in a fun way.

What I don't like is how young the main character is. I mean, he's literally a kid. Now it does make sense to train kids that early, that's actually how it's normally done with serious practitioners of martial arts, but... well... I don't like kids. But this is going to be a children's movie, marketed towards children, so whatever.

For me I'm sticking with the original 2 movies when they come out on Blu-Ray next week :) This remake business is driving me nuts (first Elm Street and A-Team and now Karate Kid)

I watched the original on Blu-Ray last night... its still a great movie plus the video was very impressive for a 80's movie.... next up is Part II tonight :)

Back