• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Stargate Universe

So, we've had "AIR" and "WATER" now, can "FIRE" and "EARTH" be far behind?

Yea, Dr. Rush is as annoying as ever, but, at least the Colonel is realizing it, LOL

Apparently the BSG rip offs are working for them, because I've seen quite a bit of praise for the show for it's "BSG"-ness.

I agree with it being flat, I'm in until the mid-season break (I assume they'll do the standard 10 eps and then a break?) but, if there's no hope by then, I won't waste any more hours on it.

LOL, and this weeks episode was indeed called Earth. It keeps hinting at going somewhere, but, it doesn't hurry and get there, people are gonna stop waiting.

And I am tired of waiting for SGU to turn into something worth watching. After the last two episodes it is like watching a bad episode of Battlestar Galactica which was a far from good show. Give me Stargate Atlantis anyday over this crap. Sadly this is the state of sci fi on the syfy channel.

dennis

I like the show.

I totally agree that the pacing is glacial, the affect is flat, it's too overtly BSG-like, there's little or no sense of fun, and it's unrelentingly grim, and these aspects work only infrequently in their benefit.

What I really like about it, however, is that they're taking chances with the franchise. If you look at the Trekiverse, of the six shows, five of 'em are the exact same damn thing over and over. Really the failing of Atlantis was that it tried to be too much like it's daddy, and that its somewhat halfassed premise didn't really allow for the current-day slice-of-life aspects that were so engaging in SG1 (There's just something cool about people who fight aliens by day, then come home and watch "Old School" in Colorado at night). SGU is trying something massively different, they're taking a chance, and I appreciate that. There's no big bad race, there's actual drama, the characters feel fleshed out (Particularly Young and Scott and Rush), and while there's many, many, many failings that I'll be the first to admit, the chances they're taking with the format override 'em for the time being.

Also, John Scalzi is their story/science consultant guy, and I like him.

Aside from the time-traveling episode they did a week back, the show has been a nice semi-hard science drama. I must say I am massively surprised at what happened on this last episode.

Me too. I'm like, "I can't believe they did that to Rush!!!" :LOL:
LOL, I'm surprised he didn't do it sooner, or even airlock him. He's been pretty insubordinate and sabotaging for weeks.

Yeah. He'll be back, though. He was on a planet with an alien space ship on it. He'll pull a "Starbuck" and be back at the Destiny before too long. It'll be interesting to see what that does to Young's ability to command when his subordinates find out what he did, and that he lied about it.

Me too. I'm like, "I can't believe they did that to Rush!!!" :LOL:
LOL, I'm surprised he didn't do it sooner, or even airlock him. He's been pretty insubordinate and sabotaging for weeks.

Yeah. He'll be back, though. He was on a planet with an alien space ship on it. He'll pull a "Starbuck" and be back at the Destiny before too long. It'll be interesting to see what that does to Young's ability to command when his subordinates find out what he did, and that he lied about it.
Oh absolutely, you don't spend so much making the audience turn against a sciency character (Many of them who came to the series for the actor portraying him) and strand him with a completely alien craft, without planning to bring him back

Of course Rush deserved it, but it was still surprising that Young went through with it.

Are we sure that Carlyle has actually signed on for more episodes? They may have put the ship there to keep options open as to whether or not to bring him back (such as Kosh's recording from the ViCR). I must state, however, that the idea of Rush repairing and piloting an alien spacecraft that I believe he said was not anything from the Ancients, and then piloting said craft to catch up with the Destiny in FTL flight does strain any level of credulity.

Of course Rush deserved it, but it was still surprising that Young went through with it.

Are we sure that Carlyle has actually signed on for more episodes? They may have put the ship there to keep options open as to whether or not to bring him back (such as Kosh's recording from the ViCR). I must state, however, that the idea of Rush repairing and piloting an alien spacecraft that I believe he said was not anything from the Ancients, and then piloting said craft to catch up with the Destiny in FTL flight does strain any level of credulity.

Wasn't there a small ship, disengaging from the uh... main ship that they're on? Maybe it skipped in front of them through a wormhole and all Rush needs to do is flick the switch and the ship automatically searches home etc!

I really dislike this show. Waste of time.

Give me a new proper show to follow so I don't waste my time with this garbage!

Agreed, but there's a lot we don't know about Rush. One of the guys on my site is convinced that he's a de-ascended ancient. I don't buy that myself, but I do feel he knows far more than he's letting on. There's some reason he's so obsessed with the Destiny.

Agreed, but there's a lot we don't know about Rush. One of the guys on my site is convinced that he's a de-ascended ancient. I don't buy that myself, but I do feel he knows far more than he's letting on. There's some reason he's so obsessed with the Destiny.

This is the part where I say that I did not watch the previous two SG shows, so any such theories are beyond me.

This is the part where I say that I did not watch the previous two SG shows, so any such theories are beyond me.

Fair Enough. That's kind of why I don't believe the theory: The failing of SG-Atlantis was that it was too closely tied to SG1. I think they're trying to make the show relatively standalone so they can rope in new viewers, and not fall prey to the Star Trek Diminishing Returns Syndrome

I don't know about you, but Stargate Universe is getting a lot more interesting in my opinion. The last several episodes have been excellent, and the characters are becoming a lot more dynamic.

I think just as some of the Season 1 Babylon 5 episodes show that the actors weren't used to working with one another but got a lot better as time went on, I think the characters in SGU are developing quite nicely.

In the early SGU episodes I wasn't so much a fan with this dark theme and the fact that the characters don't necessarily act in the way you'd expect them to, but I'm growing to appreciate it.

I can definitely see the Brad Wright/Robert C. Cooper influence now.

Universe is finally getting more interesting because they stopped have ep after ep of everyone being stuck on the ship and fighting with each other. :LOL:

I totally agree. The first 10 episodes weren't very good except for a few. I haven't even bought the first Blu-Ray set yet. However this last few episodes have been very entertaining.

I wouldn't say the first 10 weren't any good - # 10 was good, the time-loop one was great. I will say they had an unusually long, slow burn to set things up, but I think it's paying off now since we know the characters really well, and we're more invested in 'em.

Yeah the time loop episode was really well done. I guess the thing that I didn't like about the majority of the early eps was the communication stones were used WAY too much, its called Stargate for a reason.

I think the communication stones are just a convenient way to come up with more storylines and add a little more excitement to the show. There's only so much you can do with a group of people trapped on a ship way out in outer space.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back