• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

EpDis: GROPOS

A Race Through Dark Places

• Total voters
I like it. Dodger is a babe. Garibaldi is a moron- I lost a lot of respect for him after that episode.

Kind of a letdown after the last one. A spearcarrier ep, so to speak.

My respect for Garibaldi went up after this episode, but hands up: who's surprised GKE and I have radically different approaches to that whole deal?

I gave this one a B I gained a lot more respect for Garibaldi cause he didn't sleep with Dodger .His feelings for Talia which had been obvious are what kept him from doing so .

I was gonna post the same thing VL, and then I thought, maybe I was wrong and it was Talia in Gropos, but, Lise in Day of the Dead.

So, was it Talia in Gropos, or Lise as I initially thought?

Not my favorite episode. Bad acting all around (except maybe Dodger). I too read it as Lise, not Talia that he was saving himself for. I'd go back and watch it again but I don't want to. This ep anoyed me.

I was gonna post the same thing VL, and then I thought, maybe I was wrong and it was Talia in Gropos, but, Lise in Day of the Dead.

So, was it Talia in Gropos, or Lise as I initially thought?

See, exactly! We don't even know why he's not doing it!
Lise? That relationship was OVER. He left her, the end. It's immature to break it off with someone and then complain and whine and let it hinder your future happiness. Remember- it's not that they had an extremely long distance relationship- they were done. She moved on with her life and married two guys.

And Talia? All he had for her was a physical attraction or infatuation at best, with a very occassional flirtation- the kind of thing most men have with like a dozen women, which is meaningless. He was not in love with her.

Also, it was just stupid to have two episodes about Garibaldi refusing the sexual advances of the same woman.

And don't think I'm just reacting negatively to any scene where a dude turns down sex. Sheridan turning down the Nightwatch skank was awesome.

Now that GKE puts it like that, I'm pretty sure that it was his feelings for Lise, but, not so much about his actual feelings for Lise, but, rather the mistakes he made in his past relationships (especially with Lise). He didn't want to rush into anything new, he wanted to be sure he got it right this time. Then in Day of the Dead, he was back in a relationship with Lise.

Not that I agree with his reasoning for not bumping uglies in Gropos, but, I remember now that was how I saw it as being related to us.

Yeah, Garibaldi was full of self-pity and regret. Ok, fine. But he must have known that Dodger was really into him, plus that she wouldn't be there long. Then he refused her.

That means he led her on, and that shit ain't right.

The extended synopsis from the Lurker's Guide says Lise.

Garibaldi takes Dodger to his quarters, where they are barely able to keep their hands off of each other. They sit down on the bed, and prepare to continue, but before they go any further, Garibaldi explains the troubles he has had recently, with Lise and his near-death after being shot by his aide. He tells her that, if she is the one for him, he doesn't want to ruin it by going too fast. She gets up and explains her situation to him. "You know, I didn't come here expecting to set up housekeeping. I'm a ground pounder. I'm cleaning latrines one day, the next I might be up to my hips in blood, hoping that I don't hear the round that takes me out. You got it? In between, I like to try to see what I can get, to remind myself that I'm alive. Right, it's not romance, but it's all I got time for. I'm so sorry it's not enough for you." He tries to call after her as she leaves, but she won't speak to him.

Eh, I liked this episode, but "Gropos" is kinda weak. Outside of Franklin's father, I didn't like any of the guest cast (the grunts were walking stereotypes), there's some clunky lines, and I'm this is one were I started to get sick of the over-the-top station riots.

On another board, we were talking about how one of the problems with the new Battlestar Galactica, is that the cast seems somewhat divorced from the rest of the fleet, there's talk of "water riots", but they aren't shown, or seem to affect the cast. But if the alternative is some B5-esque free-for-alls, I'd prefer not to see them.

I agree that the episode was -- especially compared to many other episodes -- kinda weak. The biggest hitpoint for me in the episode is the shot at the end with the dead soldiers laying on the ground. And then everyone walking away on B5 after the news report leaving Keffer standing alone; it was probably his biggest dramatic moment in the entire series, in my opinion.

But if the alternative is some B5-esque free-for-alls, I'd prefer not to see them.
The problem was that doing a *good* street riot or bar brawl scene (or even small scale hand-to-hand fight) is a very time consuming (and therefore expensive) proposition. B5 never had either the budget or the time in their shooting schedule to do those thngs up right. So those fights go on the list of things that, for the sake of the good story that they're telling us, you just forgive that as having been a a concession to budget limitations (like a lot of the sets, for example).

So when I watch the Susan's bar brawl in Eyes, my "willing suspension of disbelief" kicks in and I choose see an example of what a badass Susan is when provoked (which is what all of dialog and acting choices seem to be telling us). If I took what I actually saw Susan doing in that fight as the true indicator of her prowess, I would have to conclude that she missed every hand-to-hand lesson in all of her military training and had also never been much of an athlete in general. She looks awful in that fight (as does everyone else involved).

I'm not sure whether BSG would have the resources to do one of those scenes well.

Oh yeah, this is the one with Franklin's father. I liked that part. I just don't like that he was never mentioned again. I'm sure he was on Clark's side during the Civil War.

Yeah, Garibaldi was full of self-pity and regret. Ok, fine. But he must have known that Dodger was really into him, plus that she wouldn't be there long. Then he refused her.

Or he didn't like the idea of sleeping with a woman he just met and he might, very soon, never see again.

Is that really so horrible? :)

Oh yeah, this is the one with Franklin's father. I liked that part. I just don't like that he was never mentioned again. I'm sure he was on Clark's side during the Civil War.

Franklin's father and Dodger were the best characters in this episode, definitely. For me anyway.

It had not occured to me that one of Keffer's best moments (if not THE best) was that silent shot. Good point, Vacantlook. :cool:

Or he didn't like the idea of sleeping with a woman he just met and he might, very soon, never see again.

Is that really so horrible? :)

Well he should have thought of that before bringing her into his room.

Isn't it great to have a sci-fi show that has us thinking about sexuality and relationships in realistic way?

That's true, I guess. But I never though of him as a loser for what he did. I figured he wanted to show her Warner Brothers cartoons. ;) :D

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back