B5TV.COM. Babylon 5 forums Babylon 5 message for the fans from Claudia Christian Babylon 5

Go Back   B5TV.COM > Babylon 5, Crusade and Rangers > B5.related

Old September 25th 19, 15:26   #11
Looney
Telepath

Re: Babylon 5 Complete Series VUDU Sale

So there were two U.S. VHS release. The main WB VHS release did the same thing as the laserdiscs, 1, 5, part of 2 and part of 4. The mail order company COLUMBIA HOUSE started releasing two episode VHS tapes prior to the WB release. I don't know if they did all 5 seasons, but I don't think so. Like the laserdiscs, the COLUMIBIA HOUSE release was pretty ridiculous. I remember I started buying them and I think it was $24.95 per TWO EPISODE tape. To my knowledge, the entire series was not released on VHS in the U.S.
Looney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th 19, 18:25   #12
KoshN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springer View Post
Thanks for the info about the Laserdiscs KoshN.
YW. The Laserdisc episodes were gorgeous.
Max Eilerson: "The story of my life. I finally find a city like this, intact, deserted for ten thousand years. Probably contains hundreds of patents that I could exploit and I'm going to die. I can appreciate dramatic irony as much as the next person, but this is pushing it a bit."
KoshN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th 19, 20:58   #13
Kraig
First One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looney View Post
So there were two U.S. VHS release. The main WB VHS release did the same thing as the laserdiscs, 1, 5, part of 2 and part of 4. The mail order company COLUMBIA HOUSE started releasing two episode VHS tapes prior to the WB release. I don't know if they did all 5 seasons, but I don't think so. Like the laserdiscs, the COLUMIBIA HOUSE release was pretty ridiculous. I remember I started buying them and I think it was $24.95 per TWO EPISODE tape. To my knowledge, the entire series was not released on VHS in the U.S.
The Laserdiscs were also sold with two episodes per disc. They were priced about the same as Columbia House VHS tapes. I have Laserdiscs Volume 5.3 through 5.7 (Season 5 Episodes "The Paragon of Animals" through "The Ragged Edge"). I had recorded all the episodes for season 1-4 on my VHS hifi VCR from the PTEN syndicated broadcasts. I couldn't watch season 5 on TNT because I didn't have cable, it still isn't available in my area and DirecTV and Dish Network hadn't been established yet. The only way I would have been able to watch TNT and TBS would be to put up a 10 ft diameter or bigger C-band satellite dish, buy a lot of hardware to down convert the scrambled signal and pay each provider a monthly fee to descramble and watch their programming. I stopped buying the LDs when DVDs became available and production was shifted from LDs to DVDs. That was the first time I saw rest of season 5 and Crusade was when I purchased the DVDs.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart’s desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” — H. L. Mencken, Baltimore Evening Sun, 26 July 1920

"I've been on food stamps and welfare, did anybody help me out? No. No."
-- Craig T. Nelson
Kraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th 19, 02:47   #14
Looney
Telepath

Yes I am very glad I have almost all of the laserdiscs, though I don't actually have a player - but a friend does.

I REALLY wish I'd recorded every episode when they aired. I have a few, but I did most of them on the lowest setting to fit as many on a tape as possible. I don't know why. I am such an idiot.
Old September 26th 19, 07:02   #15
Kraig
First One

It isn't just the Laserdiscs. My player is a Pioneer with 5.1 AC3 audio. I requires a compatible AV receiver that will accept 5.1 AC3 rf input from the Laserdisc AC3 rf output and a coaxial cable to go between the two to get full audio output.

Although IIRC the B5 LDs are only in Dolby 2.0 surround. For B5 LDs it isn't an issue.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart’s desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” — H. L. Mencken, Baltimore Evening Sun, 26 July 1920

-- Craig T. Nelson
Old October 12th 19, 13:07   #16
Looney
Telepath

Kraig or anyone, is there a way to run laserdiscs through a computer to take screen shots?
Old October 14th 19, 02:20   #17
Kraig
First One

My Laserdisc only has analog video out. My computer doesn't have analog video input.

-- Craig T. Nelson
Old October 14th 19, 03:35   #18
zohak
Lurker

Here is some info on Laserdisc copying to digital...
https://www.lifewire.com/preserving-...on-dvd-1847458

https://anarchivism.org/w/How_to_Rip_Laserdisc
zohak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th 19, 03:35   #19
Looney
Telepath

Quote:
Originally Posted by zohak View Post
WOW!!!!! Thanks zohak. That might be easier than I thought. Now I just need to borrow my friends laserdisc player to test it.
Old Yesterday, 15:49   #20
Looney
Telepath

WOW SERIOUSLY WHERE DID EVERYBODY GO?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

IS THERE A MEETING I MISSED?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!