• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

New vote for worst episode ever: Between the Darkness and the Light

Jack the Ripper was 1888 mainly around Whitechapel and Spitafields in the East End. Harrisford Lane, where Sebastian said he resided, doesn't appear to exist.

Wasn't it Heresford Lane? That's 100% from memory, and how I'd spell what I heard. I'll have to go back and watch it again.

My thoughts exactly. The Mutai thing was a bit corny at first, but I learned to appreciate parts of it, and Walker Smith. He really symbolized the "average human" and their fear and distrust of aliens...and he overcame it and learned to respect them. The Susan part of the show was also decent character building, and a big insight into her personality.

That is close to my feelings. I have defended TKO so often, I'm getting tired of it. :rolleyes:

From my first viewing, I liked the ironies, and the lessons on racism in the A part of TKO. Walker-Smith is a black man, presumably from the US, but certainly from Earth. Perhaps racism towards other skin colors has disappeared on Earth, but at least historically, his kind were the victims of racism, and much more. Well, he is racist, prejudiced against the "snake heads." They, in turn, are prejudiced against him, for being human. Eventually, they learn mutual respect, abandoning their racism. Not a great ep, but certainly a decent one.

Wasn't it Heresford Lane? That's 100% from memory, and how I'd spell what I heard. I'll have to go back and watch it again.

From the script:

Jan

Oops, to be honest I thought it was Heresford Lane too, but when I googled the line to check the spelling the first web page to come up spelled it Harrisford..

Well, I found a reference to a Heresford Lane in Queensbury, NY, but still no sign of one in London..

Last edited:
That is close to my feelings. I have defended TKO so often, I'm getting tired of it. :rolleyes:

From my first viewing, I liked the ironies, and the lessons on racism in the A part of TKO. Walker-Smith is a black man, presumably from the US, but certainly from Earth. Perhaps racism towards other skin colors has disappeared on Earth, but at least historically, his kind were the victims of racism, and much more. Well, he is racist, prejudiced against the "snake heads." They, in turn, are prejudiced against him, for being human. Eventually, they learn mutual respect, abandoning their racism. Not a great ep, but certainly a decent one.

Just because someone doesn't like TKO doesn't mean they don't appreciate the subjects. My problem with it is more like most fans' problem with Infection: acting, pacing, and general dramatic structure and presentation, rather than plot.

Just because someone doesn't like TKO doesn't mean they don't appreciate the subjects. My problem with it is more like most fans' problem with Infection: acting, pacing, and general dramatic structure and presentation, rather than plot.

Which is ironic, because mainly that is my issue with the episode I started this thread about. Yes, the CONTENT of the episode is decent, but IMO it failed in almost every category, and for me, ranks at the bottom. I guess I didn't have as harsh a reaction to those elements for TKO as I did BtDatL.

I guess I didn't have as harsh a reaction to those elements for TKO as I did BtDatL

And the reason for this would be what you wrote in the original post:

Its too bad too, because it is sandwiched between two strong episodes IMO --- Endgame and Intersections in Real Time. This episode should be one of the great ones, but its far off the mark.

...while TKO is sandwhiched between, what, Grail and some other blah season 1 thing?

After a pretty strong burst of initial episodes, season 1 suffers from major inconsistency, while season 4 is the golden era for B5, so a dip in quality is more noticeable.

I plan on re-watching the series relatively soon (after I catch up with Lost and finish Rome and after I install a shelf for my DVDs), so I'll keep an eye for this one.

It being beside S&P is the worst thing about TKO. As this meant that I actually speant MONEY to see it, when my sister and I got the British VHS release of S&P and TKO. At least most other awesome episodes of the season had the decency to be leased together
with a second episode that was at least decent.

For me most of the worse episodes came in Season 1 and 5. Season 1 was a slow burn were the overall plot was slowly advanced. In season 5, I think between the shadow war ending, Claudia leaving and budget restraints, season 5 left me wanting more

Any episode about dock workers. Seriously though I didn’t like Sic Transit Vir because Londo comes across as a genocidal Nazi but we are supposed to believe as the series progresses that he is capable of redemption. Doesn’t fit especially at that point in the arc.

You didn't like By Any Means Necessary?

When I was young I found it a boring episode (because it didn't have any pew-pew) but now I'm older I can really appreciate Michael O'Hare's tour de force performance in this episode, and guest actress Katy Boyer puts in a really strong performance too. I think episodes like this are what make B5 feel more real to me than Deep Space Nine. I also liked the fact that Eduardo Delvientos came back for a cameo in And Now For a Word.

I dunno. I love Babylon 5. I'm not sure anymore that I'd want to label any episodes as 'the worst'. I find something of value in all of them.

I find something of value in all of them.

I completely agree with this statement. If anything negative about an episode can be said it is usually in one aspect of the plot that gets made up for in the other aspects, ie the A plot might not be my favorite, but the B plot makes up for it. And another negative for me would be the things that were good in the episode, but were not mentioned again after the episode. As an example I feel the Vindrizi from EXOGENESIS 3.7 could have been mentioned again and served as a major source of information during the Wars. ;)

I love this blast from the past thread of which I remember but never took part in! Makes me wonder whatever happened to some of these people that used to be a staple here.

Anyway, 14 years later, I do concur that each episode provides something of value in one plot whereas the other one or two may not. I definitely don't enjoy some episodes as much as others and think certain aspects could have been left out like grey 17.

Pretty much every episode has some merit, but if I had to choose:

Eyes - Overacting incarnate. Gregory Martin sure is ANGRY, at EVERYTHING.

Infection - Yes, it has the organic / shadow tech hint, but good god this is a clunky as hell monster of the week episode that just doesn't work. It put a close friend off the series for life. He was unconvinced to start with, this episode put the nail squarely in the coffin.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back