• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

'Revenge of the Sith' reviews (Spoilers)

Re: \'Revenge of the Sith\' reviews (Spoilers)

Oops, corrected my typo Sinclair. Haven't seen the DVDs. Shooting at the same time is kinda silly. I thought Greedo was trying to take him alive, and its still cooler with Han nailing him without him getting a shot off, but whatever I guess....I mean at that range, you dont miss. If they shot at the same time, both would have been dead.

But wouldn't it also give Luke that ability? He seemed to have spent a lot more time (in that short time) with her than Leia did.

Well, we don't know the details about the Force or anything about Leia's ability. That is, maybe Leia was more powerful than Luke (Luke was strong, obviously, but his greatest moment of victory and achievement came from the intellectual and emotional process of simply reaching out to his daddy); or maybe the Force gives baby girls the ability to remember different things or something.

Look, I dunno...

Syfo Dyas was probably either Palpatine first attempt at a new recruit, a Jedi who found Palpatine out and got whacked, or just one who died at a convenient time. Palpatine could then use his name to cover his tracks.

Grevious was a cyborg, foreshadowing Darth Vadar.

I believe Yoda going to Degobah was cut for time.

I liked it. Good times. I thought Yoda gave up a little early. I thought it wouldn't have hurt to actually have the force choke do some damage to Padme. Plenty o' cheese. Some really cringe worthy lines.

Still kicked ass. Probably third favorite after Empire and New Hope. I have to see it again to be sure. Yeah that's my excuse.

I'm still totally geeking out over the fact that in the first 10 minutes of the movie, the character who did the most asskicking was R2-D2. :D

I LOVED this movie. Lucas's dialogue totally bombed during the "romantic" scenes, but he redeemed them with lines like "so this is how liberty dies... to thunderous applause," and the entire conversation between Palpatine and Anakin at the big concert-shindig.

What was the animal Obi-Wan trained as his mount? That thing was COOL...

It was mostly good, but I came out with mixed feelings. It's not as good as it should have been. Not that anyone cares, but here's my review at Slightly Rebel Film Criticism. I'll still probably see it again in theaters though

I find it hard to believe she remembered her mother from only a couple minutes old.

I believe on the DVD boxset Lucas went back and changed the line to were Leia actually says she doesnt remember her mother..But I could be wrong as I have yet to watch it.

I just came back from the movie and I thought it was good, but not great. The dialogue just didnt cut it for me and even though the special effects are great and flashy, it seems like way to much is thrown at me at once. Of course I was a little jaded because the little kid next to me would not shut up the entire movie. he ruined to scenes for me...He must have read the entire plot of the movie before seeing it because he kept saying.."This is the part where they are going to......"

But I might see it again in the theater, maybe the second time will be better..

I don't think it's unreasonable for Leia to remember Padmé since all that Leia remembers are feelings. One, I personally think that unborn children can feel the emotions and stresses that their mothers go through while pregnant with them. Two, with Leia being Force-sensitive, that that somehow manifested in a way that enabled her feel things about her mother even at mere moments old isn't that out there to me.

Sifo-Dyas was a friend of Count Doku's (when he was still a jed) who had implemented a secret plan to create a clone army for the republic (probably at Palpatines instigation)

Doku killed him off and took it all over.

it's a shame you have to go to the books and comics for this info, it should have had a movie explanation.

I'm seeing this tonight when my girlfriend gets back from a conference on the coast. Glad to see most of the reivews have been positive.

I generally agree with what people have been saying. I liked the fact that Anakin turned trying to do good. I liked the stuff about creating life.

Did anyone else find the conversation between Obi Wan and Anakin after the opening battle scene funny?

Anakin: You're so great
Obi-wan: No you are
Anakin: But you taught me, so you're great
Obi-wan: You wanna be my bestest friend?

I would continue making this up, but we would be going into NC-17 territory.

Sifo-Dyas was a friend of Count Doku's (when he was still a jed) who had implemented a secret plan to create a clone army for the republic (probably at Palpatines instigation)

Heh, where did you read that?

Anyways I always thought it was pretty obvious, Sifo-Dyas=Darth Sidious. He's the master of aliases.

Anakin said it was wrong. Can you say hypocrite? IMO it didn't show Anakin doing what he thinks was right, rather he was just being manipulated into doing what was wrong.

Yeah, I agree. He couldn't believe what he had done after Mace falled off into the abyss, though. The thing is no one is really out of blame in the movie. Everyone has their own sins, including the oh-so-wise Obi Wan.

I think I understand now why Anakin is the chosen one: The Jedi HAD to die. They had become incredibly proud and corrupted, willing to kill. "Great" warriors. Fighting evil, becoming evil. That's the whole point. When Luke renunciated to violence, and forgave his father, he showed him another way - the way he was looking for - as well as elevated both above that. What Anakin did was eliminate the impurity within the Jedi so they could become better, and later on tested Luke better than any Jedi ever could, as well as destroyed the source of all the evils (Palpatine).

I guess the moral is that sometimes bad things happen for a reason.

That's how I see it anyway. I don't care what people say, these movies are NOT worthless at all, or just FXs. Can't wait to watch it again next week :)

I think I understand now why Anakin is the chosen one: The Jedi HAD to die. They had become incredibly proud and corrupted, willing to kill. "Great" warriors. Fighting evil, becoming evil. That's the whole point. When Luke renunciated to violence, and forgave his father, he showed him another way - the way he was looking for - as well as elevated both above that. What Anakin did was eliminate the impurity within the Jedi so they could become better, and later on tested Luke better than any Jedi ever could, as well as destroyed the source of all the evils (Palpatine).

That's a great analysis. If that is what Lucas intended all along then my opinion of him has certainly gone up a few notches.

Okay, I saw it last night, and here's my response:

SLOW DOWN!

The pacing was way off for me. All the scenes near the beginning were really short and choppy, and near the beginning it doesn't really feel coherent at all. In A New Hope we're on Tatooine for a good long time, then the Death Star, then the last battle. In Empire it's the same thing: Hoth, Dagobah/the Falcon, Cloud City. Here, the plot moves from place to place and from event to event so rapidly that you don't really feel settled at all until near the end of the movie. And there are some dramatic moments -- the destruction of the Temple, for one -- which really needed to be slowed down. The best scene in the movie, in my opinion, was Palpatine talking to Anakin at the theater (or whatever that place was). It's much more reasonably paced, and it's one of the most intense moments.

Basically I think Lucas tried to do too much with too little.

Other problems:

The mystery of why Padme would fall for a whiny brat in Ep II is solved: she's secretly an idiot! Where was the very sharp, insightful quen/senator of Eps. I and II? She has one or two intelligent lines, which show us she sees through Palpatine, but then when Obi-Wan tells her that Anakin is in on Palpatine's plot she can't accept it at first, despite all the considerable evidence to the contrary. Love makes you do the wacky, sure, but to this degree?

Palpatine's various duels with the Jedi bother me a bit. First he takes out three expendable Jedi masters very quickly, then Mace Windu nearly gets him, and then he beats Yoda. Now it's pretty clear that Palpatine was faking his weakness against Windu to get Anakin to turn, but in that case why did he go all ugly then? I think he should have been drained in his fight against Yoda. The way this was laid out, it made it seem that Windu was stronger than Yoda, not something I'm entirely prepared to accept. (At least the problem of why Yoda no longer has a lightsaber in Ep. V was resolved. And the fights were fairly impressive visually.)

Why was Threepio's memory erased?

What happened to Artoo's rocket boosters?

All the wookiees sounded like Chewie. Give 'em a little individuality -- unless Chewie was cloned, too?

The Jedi are wise and powerful yet don't notice that Anakin and Padme are sleeping together until she's nine months pregnant?

Was it just me, or is John Wiliams mostly recycling his music these days? I felt "Duel of the Fates" the other musical allusions were a little distracting. We're talking the fall of the Jedi; it should get its own theme song, surely!

The whole Anakin/Obi-Wan fight was over the top and overdone -- and then Obi wins "because he has the high ground"? Uh-huh. Doesn't make sense to me. And evidently the trip from Coruscant to the lava world is about three minutes, because Palpatine arrives so quickly. (Actually travel times bugged me a lot throughout. "He's here! Now he's halfway across the galaxy! Who needs hyperdrive when Star Trek loaned us the transporter?")

But it wasn't all crap:

In the first scene with Anakin and Padme, I loved the cinnimon rolls, and when Anakin smiled he looked startlingly like Luke. I loved the appearance of the Rebel ship from Ep IV, that felt very visually reassuring and anchoring; in fact I loved most of the visual cameos. The staging of the initial fights was loaded with foreshadowing -- to the Death Star trench in Ep. IV, to the climactic duel in Ep VI (obviously), and, when they've been trapped and Obi-Wan says "We're smarter than this -- why didn't we see this coming?" it sets the stage for the betrayal of the Jedi by their own troops later.

I loved how the clone commander returns Obi-Wan's lightsaber as a friendly favor and three seconds later is trying to kill him.

Probably the most intriguing moment came in the opening crawl: "There are heroes on both sides. Evil is everywhere." I would have liked to see more heroics on the part of the Separatists, they seemed pretty uniformly evil or cowardly, but it does set the stage for the moral ambiguity later on. And that was relatively well-handled. Palpatine has a point: power does corrupt. (Of course he's the most corrupted of all, but that just proves his point.) It's my belief that Yoda deliberately hides in a swamp for the next twenty years to relearn humility as much as anything else.

As I mentioned above, the seduction scene in the theater/auditorium was very well done indeed. Best scene of the movie.

I've got more problems and more pleasures about this movie, but this has gone on long enough for now. My basic review? Too fast, and disappointing. Just enough "how" but nowhere near enough "why." If you want to see a really good dark Star Wars film... go watch "The Empire Strikes Back."

One thing is now certain in my mind: "Serenity" will unquestionably be better.

One thing is now certain in my mind: "Serenity" will unquestionably be better.
Apples and oranges.

I liked "Revenge of the Sith", probably best SW film along with "Empire Strikes Back" (i'm not the greatest fan of SW).

Yeah. And I like apples much more than oranges.
As do i....i hope Whedon is up to his task in his first feature (Firefly series was fantastic)

Palpatine's various duels with the Jedi bother me a bit. First he takes out three expendable Jedi masters very quickly, then Mace Windu nearly gets him, and then he beats Yoda. Now it's pretty clear that Palpatine was faking his weakness against Windu to get Anakin to turn, but in that case why did he go all ugly then?
It wasn't the "strain" that deformed him. Mace was using his lightsaber to redirect Sidious's own force lightning back onto him. That's what deformed him.

Why was Threepio's memory erased?
Because Threepio can't keep his mouth shut.

What happened to Artoo's rocket boosters?
Who knows... does it matter? He got around just fine without them in episodes 4-6... I mean I like having loose ends tied up, but this detail is nothing more than a tiny thread.

All the wookiees sounded like Chewie. Give 'em a little individuality -- unless Chewie was cloned, too?
Chewbacca was not cloned. Post-episode 3, he was captured and made a slave by the Empire. Han Solo rescued him at some point, and Chewbacca joined up with him. Tarfful most definitely had a different voice than Chewbacca in the movie -- he was larger and his voice made more guttural sounds. Certain sounds were similar, but when they said goodbye to Yoda, you can definitely hear two "voices."

The Jedi are wise and powerful yet don't notice that Anakin and Padme are sleeping together until she's nine months pregnant?
Don't forget that the Jedi's abilities are being clouded this whole time by the Sith. It's why Yoda never realizes Palpatine is Sidious, even when they're in the same room together. Palpatine has had his eye on Anakin to be his apprentice ever since episode 1. It's likely he used his influence in the dark side to cloud details surrounding Anakin as well.

I loved how the clone commander returns Obi-Wan's lightsaber as a friendly favor and three seconds later is trying to kill him.
Yeah, he was probably feeling pretty stupid for doing that, right before Obi-Wan cut him in half.

It's my belief that Yoda deliberately hides in a swamp for the next twenty years to relearn humility as much as anything else.

Yeah, that would make a LOT of sense. Yoda, Mace, etc. got owned in this one for their arrogance and underestimation... unlike clever Palpatine who had patience and had waited for years. In Episode VI the Emperor would get axed for understimating the Jedi, who had taken a page from the Sith's book, and been hiding for years plotting their own return.

Yep, I'd say he nailed it. The puzzle is making a lot more sense now.

Because Threepio can't keep his mouth shut.

:LOL:

I think I understand now why Anakin is the chosen one: The Jedi HAD to die. They had become incredibly proud and corrupted, willing to kill. "Great" warriors. Fighting evil, becoming evil.

I don't share that analysis.

But when it comes to the speed of Anakin turning:

- He had been Palpatines friend and student for years
- Episode III takes several months, I think.
- Was I the only one who got the impression that Darth Sidious was using mind control on Anakin after Windu was out he window? (Vindu means window in Norwegian, so it was a big spoiler. :LOL: ) Anakin's mind is allready made weak by his fear of losing Padmé, realising his mistake in striking master Windu, and is generally confused. I felt like there was some kind of mind-trick going on there.

P.S. We're having fun relating the movie to the real world in the news and rants forum.

It wasn't the "strain" that deformed him. Mace was using his lightsaber to redirect Sidious's own force lightning back onto him. That's what deformed him.

I don't agree with this at ALL LH. In fact, the Sidious's appearance throughout the entire Pre-quel movies has confused me.

In "The Phantom Menace" you see a transmission from Sidious to the Trade Federation dudes. He is in his hooded robe, and clearly has the same deformed face that the Emperor had in Return of the Jedi, as well as the face that the Chancellor's became.

So to me, he is deformed sometimes, and not others.

I think its something like, he is able to use the force/darkside to project the appearance of looking normal to hide who he is. When Anakin started whacking the Jedi-kiddies he got that same deformation in his eyes. It probably has something to do with the darkside of the force.

But I dont think it was CAUSED by his own electric bolts, because we saw him years earlier with that face already.

Still...that part always confused me, and was never really explained.

P.S. We're having fun relating the movie to the real world in the news and rants forum.

BTW, I have heard such silliness as people actually saying that Star Wars EP III was based on Bush's campaign in Iraq and other silly things.

People saying this need to get their head examined.

If you try hard enough, you can think just about anything you want, and try to make examples...but lets remember one thing here. This story was created over TWENTY YEARS AGO. It has nothing to do with current events, future events, or past events. Its a STORY. Loosely based on things that could have happened in the world's past.

Its entertainment. It wasnt made to make a statement. And this movie was made and thought of long before Bush was even in office...so any references people think they see are in their heads only.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back