• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

John Adams

Sinclair

HBO's new miniseries "John Adams" starts Sunday night. As a big history fan I've been looking forward to this one since I first heard about it. The David McCollough book was very good and gave a neat perspective on the Adams' family life, as well as that of the times. I'm probably one of the few that are interested in seeing how well they can pull off the miniseries, but I thought I'd start a topic anyway. At first I was a little skeptical when I heard that Paul Giamatti was portraying Adams, but he has managed to impress me in several roles, so I think he'll do fine.

I'm definitely watching this- it's right up my alley. Haven't read the book, though. I tried starting McCullough's 1776 but was bored quickly for some reason.

I'm watching it for sure too. I saw some of the "making of" trailers on HBO and that was all I needed to see to set it in my DVR.

GKE- '1776' was what got me into McCullough's work. I enjoyed the book. 'John Adams' was the second book of his I've read. I'm thinking of reading 'Truman' next. HBO already did a mini-movie on that quite a few years back starring Gary Sinise. It was okay. I may be mistaken, but McCullough won a Pulizer for both 'Truman' and 'John Adams.'

So, this thing was on the TV!

I love, absolutely love it. It's all talky and wanky and I'm just a sucker for seeing the founders in silly wigs yelling each other about liberty and the British and so forth. Wonderful!

I loved it. My wife wasn't into it at all. It's strange to think that things actually used to be that way, what with the way they spoke and wearing the wigs and all. It probably is a pretty accurate representation of how things went down back then. I wasn't expecting two parts the other night, but I won't complain. I have a feeling the rest of it will be just as good.

One of my favorite things about the congress scenes was how they presented the various colonies differently: the fire-and-brimstone Massachusettes revolutionaries, the ultra-genteel South Carolinians, the ruthlessly practical New Yorkers, the rustic Delawarians (?), etc.

Back