• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

WGA Strike - Joss Whedon Comments

Ok, firefighters are heroes. How many firefighters do you actually know?

And exactly how many celebrities and writers for TV shows do you actually know?

Extremely few people actually "know" any of them, but society tends to glorify all things Hollywood and put them at the top of the food chain, which they don't deserve. They have a job for one reason, to ENTERTAIN *US*. Period. They do nothing glorious or heroic.

But most true heroes go barely mentioned on the 27 minute spot on the 10 O'clock news.

That's just how it is I guess.

And exactly how many celebrities and writers for TV shows do you actually know?

Extremely few people actually "know" any of them, but society tends to glorify all things Hollywood and put them at the top of the food chain, which they don't deserve. They have a job for one reason, to ENTERTAIN *US*. Period. They do nothing glorious or heroic.

But most true heroes go barely mentioned on the 27 minute spot on the 10 O'clock news.

That's just how it is I guess.

Ok... well I said that celebreties are people that "we know who they are," not know as in we've met them, so I should have said "How many firefighters do you actually know of"

No matter how much gossip there is about celebrities, we all know who real heroes are. It's just... really, what can you do, go around saying, "hey I love teachers and firefighters and soldiers" all the time?

If I say an athlete heroically won a game, believe I know he's not a real hero, it's just a phrase.

Speaking of 24....funny timing. I was just about to post a new thread in this forum with a little 24/technology humor from something that was sent to me. Absolutely classic, and very well done. Check it out, I've just posted the thread.

This brings me to a stupid question.

Does this strike involve Canada too? Or is it the US funding that would delay BSG?

Quote from CTV.ca article about the WGA Strike:

"The picket lines are going to be bitter and ugly," Jonathan Handel, an entertainment industry lawyer, told CTV Newsnet from Los Angeles on Monday. "This is a very grey mood in terms of the industry."

Handel said the strike will have an impact in Canada, and film industries in cities like Vancouver and Toronto will be affected.

In British Columbia, 80 per cent of the film industry is working on U.S. productions. The province could see major job losses if the strike lasts into the New Year.

"There are certain technical jobs that will be affected right away, as soon as the production shuts down. In fact, most of the jobs are going to get impacted," said Peter Leitch, chair of the Motion Picture Production Industry.

Handel says as Canadian networks run out of fresh shows, they may replace them with Canadian content.

Wow- and I thought I was the biggest 24 hater 'round here.

I'd gladly have 24 back on if it meant Lost can finish up. A series based on plot puzzles and cliff-hangers and mystery not concluding would be a shame.

And I really want The Wire damnit!

I'm right there with ya. I used to LOVE 24 and think it was one of the better shows on TV....until Season 4. Season 4 lost it for me, and it has been getting worse and worse each year until now it is its own running joke IMO. Oh well.

I'm right there with ya. I used to LOVE 24 and think it was one of the better shows on TV....until Season 4. Season 4 lost it for me, and it has been getting worse and worse each year until now it is its own running joke IMO. Oh well.

And having read a summary of the premise of the next season .. egads.

Yet I'll probably still somehow feel compelled to continue watching it. I have no idea why.

Back