• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

What Is The Main Thing That Lacks In Season 5?

I wonder why Draal and the 9 Zathras Brothers disappeared in Season 5?After the First Ones left the galaxy the only "magic" left in the show was the Great Machine but for some reason we never saw it again after "Lines Of Communication".

I don't think any of this would have been a problem had they been followed up on.

True, but these facts make season 5 more like season 1, in that it involves a lot of setting up. This is why it isn't as powerful as seasons 3 and 4, which were pay-offs, after loads of setting up. This is why season 5 could never be as powerful as 3 and 4. On first viewing, I expected it to be as powerful, and was a bit disappointed. On subsequent viewings, I was better able to appreciate season 5 for the many things it does have to offer.

I guess I never expected it to be as good as season 4, probably the only season of a sci-fi show that I have ever given at least a B+ or higher to every episode. (Well, full American length season anyways.) I ended up being satisfied with the season, it accomplished what I thought it would, and outside of the wretched teep storyline it was good TV throughout.

To sum up what many others have said, the main problem with S5 is that it followed S4.:devil: which was "hurried along" due to real world events, like maybe, no S5.:alienblush:

And no resolution to major story points refered to, like the TP war or the Centari/Drakh situation. I view S5 as an unexpected bonus and a tantalizing tease.

I don't think any of this would have been a problem had they been followed up on.

Sure. But (for the reasons given) I really feel like S5 betrays jms's quote:

By the time the series has run its five-year course (Neilsen willing), there will only be ONE unanswered question left: "NOW what?"

I never worried about that quote, because honestly I was happier with the fact that it appeared that the B5 universe was going to grow beyond the boundaries of the show as opposed to the original "Everything will be answered in 5 years."

Its obvious. Claudia Christian. Like most of us here I started to like Lockley just a little as season 5 went on but with Ivanova not around some chemistry was lost. And JMS should have concentrated more on the Centauri war than the telepath crisis.

Its obvious. Claudia Christian. Like most of us here I started to like Lockley just a little as season 5 went on but with Ivanova not around some chemistry was lost. And JMS should have concentrated more on the Centauri war than the telepath crisis.

It was very hard for me to accept Lochley, maybe because she came to B5 and started behaving like she owns the place.Maybe the other reason was that S5 was more about the Alliance and not so much about the station itself.

maybe because she came to B5 and started behaving like she owns the place

Yeah- that's called leadership. Taking command.

Lochley ruled.

I'm not surprised to see yet another season 5 bashing thread, but what does surprise me is that people don't like the end of season 4 (post-Shadow War). I remember that last time I watched the series, I was more into the "Earth civil war" story than the Shadow stuff.

The genius of season 4 is that one major conflict is resolved with ambiguity, abstractness, and grandeur. And then you get the catharsis of good ol' fashioned ass-kicking and spy type stuff. That our heroes manage to defeat two such vastly different types of enemies (3, if you count the Minbari warrior caste), is what makes it so cool.

Of course half of season 5 was weak- the show's network became extinct in between season!

I know, it's upsetting, let's sing a nice song to make ourselves happy:

"And we will all come together in a better place..."

It was very hard for me to accept Lochley, maybe because she came to B5 and started behaving like she owns the place.Maybe the other reason was that S5 was more about the Alliance and not so much about the station itself.

Personally I never had any problem with Lochley. She was an adept commanding officer, and she was good when they gave her actual material to work with. The only real problem I had was the angle of her being married to Sheridan previously. It was forced, didn't add a thing to the story in any way, and never worked.

Back