• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Enterprise-General Thoughts!

Truth_Seeker

Regular
Star Trek is not one of my favourite Sci-Fi TV Shows but I think that "Enterprise" is an exception.The cast is good and the characters are interesting.The technology is not as advanced as the other Trek shows and I like it.We don't see the replicators or the holo-room which makes the series much more realistic.I still can't accept how a spaceship can travel at those speeds without falling apart due to the mass it gains but this is science fiction after all.

I think it started off alright... but it started to go pooey when they relied too much on gimmicks.

The whole Xindi thing was just a no brainer. The temporal cold war thing was ok as an occasional thing to visit (and I like time travel stories), but when it became the primary focus it lost the plot of what Star Trek is about (or at least should have been about given the period we were in).

Plot resolutions were sometimes cliched... with certain characters always invariably being the protagonist or having the answer to the problem.

I wouldn't write the whole thing off as much as some people do though. I liked some of the later episodes like the Vulcan cultural revolution...because that speaks to me a lot of what maybe my own culture needs. People have been saying that we are this and that... but if you look further back we should actually be something different. So because I related, I liked it.

I didn't like them updating the opening song... it sounded more at home on something like "The Littlest Hobo" than on Star Trek after they messed with it.

Season 4 was the best for me especially the Romulan related episodes and the Vulcan-Andorian arc.The two episodes about the parallel universe where everyone is evil were also very good.It would be interesting if there was a B5 episode showing something similar.For example Sheridan would be the Emperor of the Interstellar Empire, Franklin-an evil doctor who tortures prisoners and Marcus-a cruel assasin(just kidding).

Last edited:
Season 4 was the best for me especially the Romulan related episodes and the Vulcan-Andorian arc.The two episodes about the parallel universe where everyone is evil were also very good.It would be interesting if there was a B5 episode showing something similar.For example Sheridan would be the Emperor of the Interstellar Empire, Franklin-an evil doctor who tortures prisoners and Marcus-a cruel assasin(just kidding).

I don't know. As Star Trek TOS proved, all you need to do to be an evil duplicate of yourself is have a goatee. In Season 5, Sheridan DID have a goatee. Right about the time he became President of the Alliance! Coincidence? I think not. Politics = Evil

I don't know. As Star Trek TOS proved, all you need to do to be an evil duplicate of yourself is have a goatee. In Season 5, Sheridan DID have a goatee. Right about the time he became President of the Alliance! Coincidence? I think not. Politics = Evil

This makes Jonathan Frakes from TNG really suspicious!;)

It's not just reserved for science fiction. It's a known statistical fact that the idea of a first minister with a beard is highly frowned upon in modern perception.

I wonder when did this trend start? The last political leader beards appear to have died out towards the end of the 19th century. After this, there seems to have been a complete cut off. What or who happened to influence this sudden complete turnaround?

The only political leader with a beard that I can remember in the 20th Century is Lenin and he certainly didn't bring anything good to Russia so the theory about the beards is probably right.

This makes Jonathan Frakes from TNG really suspicious!;)

OMG! You're right! Never really did like him!

As for ENT, the fourth season was the only one worth anything and most Trek fans would agree. Manny Coto, who took over as show-runner that season, tried (though too late) to turn the show into what everyone thought it would be...a prequel to TOS.

What ENT started out as was B&B's attempt to make a prequel to TNG that would look and feel like TNG and their era of Trek and slowly destroy the TOS era, which Berman seemed to loath.

No, ENT was mainly Berman's attempt to wipe TOS away and make a prequel to his Trek. It didn't work and, though I'm not a major canonista (that's what the Trekkers are calling them these days), it did fly heavily in the face of Trek canon and history and never seemed to even attempt to explain it. That is until the final season, when Coto tried to do the opposite and tie ENT deeply into TOS and canon.

But ultimately, it also suffered from the same tired "sameness" that Trek had become. Everything was bland and watered down. The same TNG era sound and visual FX were used for a time that was supposed to be 100 years before Kirk. The overall look was bland. The characters were bland. The technobabble and general melodrama remained prevalent. Ultimately, it did do something good, it killed Trek long enough to break Berman and Braga's contracts for good so that JJ Abrams could come along and save Trek!

CE

The philosophy of TOS was basically Buddhist. There was some lets treat racism as being out of date as well. The Chinese and Japanese have spent several hundred years thinking through Buddhism means.

The later Treks detected the moral teachings and tried to join in. However the extra items added, such as what about women's place, had not been thought through. I suspect that the produces and writers did not even believe what they were saying. Adding the latest cover article from American Scientist may make the science up to date but does not produce a good fictional story.

I've got a goatee, am I my own evil twin ?

Yes. I am concerned. ;)

As a Trek lover from way back, Enterprise was a disappointment to me. I had high hopes that were basically dashed from the very beginning. They lost me entirely by the 3rd season.

At this point, I have no hope for any more good Trek. I didn't even See ST10, which is apparently a good thing. Y'all will let me know if things improve, right? ;)

Last edited:
At this point, I have no hope for any more good Trek. I didn't even See ST10, which is apparently a good thing.

Indeed... it blatantly ripped off Wrath of Khan's ending.

If writers are going to insist on being unoriginal and plagiarise a programme's own history... they could at least make the effort to dress it up a little instead of assuming we are stupid... and taking the michael out of the people who's hard earned dosh keeps the ink in their pens flowing!

I got so excited seeing the final space battle because it's the first time there really seemed to be an actual freaking battle for the Enterprise. I mean we got to see them fire their weapons more than once! That's significant for them. It was nice to see four or five phaser beams shot spread out all in a line and to see multiple four or five torpedoes shot rapidly one after the other. I guess I just still have a bad taste in my mouth from seeing the Enterprise, flag ship of the Federation, not have enough of a brain to shoot more than once at a retired twenty-year old Bird of Prey in Generations. It's like, no you don't need to do some complex technobabbly thing and shoot one single torpedo, just fire all of your damn torpedoes at the freaking ship! So, on its surface, I liked the battle.

I didn't like the story much though. Relatively ok idea I guess, having Picard having been cloned by the Romulans, but it just didn't turn out all that well.

My biggest complaint about it all was the proto-Data in the film: B4 or Before or whatever the hell its name was. Yes, it was a predecessor of Data's, yes it had more simple programming. It's still a computer; it wouldn't act like it had down syndrome or any other brain development altering human disorder.

My second biggest complaint is over Data's death. When I saw the film in the theater, about three seconds after the ship exploded with Data on it, I go, "Umm, but you downloaded his memories and stuff way back when you first found B4, oh look at the pretty little insignificance the writers just gave his death since they can so easily bring him back if they choose to do so."

Yes. I am concerned. ;)

As a Trek lover from way back, Enterprise was a disappointment to me. I had high hopes that were basically dashed from the very beginning. They lost me entirely by the 3rd season.

At this point, I have no hope for any more good Trek. I didn't even See ST10, which is apparently a good thing. Y'all will let me know if things improve, right? ;)

Oh! You're always "concerned" about something.

So....Markas...tell me...what kind of lover were you to Trek. Dish! Was it wild?

Actually, Markas, the new JJ Abrams film is setting up to be what Trek fans have always wanted, a high budget, epic film with passion, character and story on a grand scale. Nimoy, who's in it, has stated with some conviction that this film will revive the franchise and set Trek on a new level. I can't wait for it! May '09 cannot get here soon enough!

CE

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back