• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

What are you watching now?

Arrested Development, Season 2

A sly and coy comedy, it's a shame that this show was never given a chance to succeed. Outside of The Office (US version)I don't think there's been a comedy in the last 20 years where the writing was so sharp and smart and the actors had such a natural chemistry with each other.

Last night I watched A Good Woman, a 2004 movie take on Oscar Wilde's "Lady Windermere's Fan," set inn the 30s, starring Scarlett Johansson as the naive young innocent dutiful loving wife and Helen Hunt as the man-eating husband stealing femme fatale.

Yes, that's right, Helen Hunt, femme fatale.

It was... well it was just horrendous. Why? Did I mention Helen Hunt as the femme fatale? Watching Tom Wilkinson have to talk about how irresistible she is made me giggle.
So why did I watch this? Did I mention Scarlett Johansson was in it?

I saw this on cable a while back. Certainly not great, but mildly entertaining, rather than horrendous, to me at least. Helen Hunt isn't as young as she used to be... but I think she's still good looking, and was once very hot!

I just watched Renegade, also called Blueberry, a French "western," made in 2004, starring Vincent Cassel, Juliet Lewis, and Michael Madsen. It is quite a psychedelic trip, complete with Indian shamen, demons, giant (mind) insects and snakes, and loads of other-worldly metaphysical drug tripping. I dug it! I'd like to see it on a big screen. Sadly, the TV version I saw was in 4x3, not the OAR of 2.35:1.

X-Files Season 2

Much more meat on the bones than season 1. Some episodes give me the feeling of "that was a waste of time". A few X-Philes that I know assure me the show as a whole gets much better in season 3. We shall see :cool:

i am watching CHUCK season 1 again now..i love the series..i enjoyed season 1 thats why i am looking forward for season 2 on september 29.. :thumbsup:

I made a whole post about it! I'm watching Supernatural, season 1. I am really impressed with this show. Maybe I went in with lower expectations, but it's pretty damn awesome, especially for a network formula-show. I'm really surprised at what they've shown so far in regard to what's allowed on television. Some of it is gory as hell. And quite honestly? The material is a hell of a lot scarier than I ever imagined. Some of the episodes are better than your average horror movie crap and more freaky, too.

Definitely recommend it to folks who like horror or meta-fiction. Many of the stories are familiar (guy with a hook, blood mary, shapeshifters, etc.) but damn if it doesn't rock.

I threw up the first 5 minutes of the pilot if anyone is bored:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6dT5eZHAUU

I hear season 2 gets better (which is awesome because I'm already hooked.)

I like Chuck a lot, hopefully I will have my Tivo before it debuts, because I like Terminator even more, so I would watch it and skip Chuck if I had to.

Supernatural is a show I really want to get into, I've liked what little I have seen and I've heard good things about it, but I refuse to get into shows in the middle of their run and I'm holding off on buying the DVDs sets until they release them on Blu-Ray or prove to me that there's next to no chance that they will ever release them on Blu-Ray.

Yeah, I hate coming into shows in the middle, too. I would imagine they'll hit BR eventually as will all DVD sets, but who knows. WB/CW isn't known for putting a lot into their television series. Most have limited or no extras, and the Supernatural I bought doesn't even have English subtitles. I like to have them on when the little one is sleeping and I have to keep the volume low.

I love Smallville, but it's kind of "Freak of the Week" in the first season. You get tiny bits of story arcs here and there. The casting is awesome, though. It reminds me of Charmed in a sense--lots of neatly wrapped up episodes, with a few story arcs thrown in that expand the course of the series.

I've caught a few episodes through the years and kinda know the general direction of the story arc, aside from being a comic geek as a kid (back then we were just "weird":LOL:)

Gotta agree on "Freak of the Week":LOL: Lex was ALWAYS bringing "the best doctors In Metropolis" to Smalleville Hospital:rolleyes::LOL: A few continuety breaches between comic and video, (and "reality":rolleyes::LOL:), but I can live with that. Now, I watched S1 in 2 days, and plan another marathon tomorrow for S2, 3, 4, 5, 6, etc.:devil:, quick question: should I watch the new season live? or wait for the DVD after having watched the interveining episodes?

Ya know, Fish, I haven't watched all of Season 7 yet. I watched a few episodes "live" and I honestly prefer the dvd's. I think it has to do with the fact that I'm so bad about schedules when it comes to television. I miss a lot and end up having to download an episode online or watch it on their website.

I enjoyed what I did see of Season 7, quite a bit. Season 6 led up to this new deal where they brought in other superheroes for Clark to "play" with and I'm digging that (Green Arrow, etc.)

Season 3, 4, 5, gets really interesting, imho. Lex is awesome. I love the actor and you can see him slowly slipping over to the side of evil. It's gradual and you feel bad for the guy. Season 3, I believe (maybe 4,) starts him off in a mental institution (where his father puts him.) One of the best episodes of the entire series, imho.

The last stuff I've watched:

The first three episodes of Buffy, Season 6 (I'm showing them to my mother)

The first three episodes of Angel, S3 (to keep pace with Buffy)

The first three episodes of The Wire, S5 (Omar comin'!)

And the first two episodes of Carnivale, S2.

Maybe I'm in a rut.

Oh! you're into Carnivale S2. Right on.

Spoiler for :
(mourns the loss of Lodz and catatonic mom . . .)

But, you get the awesomeness of

Spoiler for :
full on Scudder action, Libby and Jonesy, and most importantly Varlyn Stroud

Carnivale Spoilers (replying to Cell)

Spoiler for :
Stroud was creepy as heck!! Libby and Jonesy is awesome--a turn I wasn't expecting at all, but such a quiet and almost gentle relationship. Ben healing his leg was one of the most profound moments of the show.... And Scudder's end. Oh yes. Hahaha. Granny Scudder, though. Ewwwwww....

Carnivale Spoilers (replying to Cell)

Spoiler for :
Stroud was creepy as heck!! Libby and Jonesy is awesome--a turn I wasn't expecting at all, but such a quiet and almost gentle relationship. Ben healing his leg was one of the most profound moments of the show.... And Scudder's end. Oh yes. Hahaha. Granny Scudder, though. Ewwwwww....

Spoiler for :
Agree on all counts, I think the moment when Ben heals Jonesy's leg is neck and neck with the scene from season one where Ben heals Gabriel in the small pond/river and all the fish rise up dead when he's done as far as best scene from the show goes. Libby and Jonesy was essential because it showed that in this world where everything is completely emssed up two people can find each other and form a genuine relationship that is so sincere and heartfelt. The entire Scudder clan was one big "Ewwww..."

Last night I watched the first two episodes of Dexter. Undecided if I like it yet. It kind of feels like it's being gruesome and extreme just for its own sake, and all of the characters feel like overly-simplistic stereotypes, though that may change over time.

I've heard good things about Dexter. Keep us updated. I might add it to my queue if it improves.

Also, do we have any peeps on netflix here? Wonder if we can get a sharing/queue thing between us.

yeah I got the netflix goin' on. In fact, their "Watch Instant" feature, where you can watch stuff directly from the website, is what I'm using to watch Dexter. I was just browsing around there and came across and remembered hearing good things.

I only have the one-DVD-at-a-time cheapo plan since I'm paying a lot for fancy HD cable w/ a DVR and it's football season, anyway, so generally not that much time for the 'flix.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back