• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

NEW Babylon 5 Series

It's kind of infuriating that in this day we still have "Regions". It's getting in the way of our access to entertainment, and people willing to pay. I wanted to watch the film "Oldboy" but it's not available in my area.

Is this what NordVPN can help with? Am I allowed to ask that question, here? :eek:

Yeah, I use NordVPN for a certain degree of online privacy and you can also use it to fool steaming sites into thinking you are elsewhere. Want the USA catalogue on Netflix, no problem. For instance, I can watch Adult Swim, whilst actually being in the UK. I also will occasionally use torrents if I desperately want to see something and can't find it, so I use a VPN to keep that activity private too. I don't own a TV, or subscribe to that many streaming services, so the VPN kinda pays for itself.

ExpressVPN isn't bad either. I've been using it for years. I have it on multiple devices (cell, laptop, two desktops). I've been watching UK BBC shows for quite a while. At first BBC required a UK TV license to watch any entertainment programming. But after a year the BBC lets me stream all their shows. I got to learn that what the US calls "illegal dumping" in the UK it's called "fly tipping." It was on a comedy with Martin Clunes as a driving instructor.

For my home computers I mostly use it to view what "isn't available in your area" and for portable devices the encryption prevents you from being a victim of hacked public wifi.

It's kind of infuriating that in this day we still have "Regions". :eek:

Yes, it's really infuriating! No wonder people turn to VPNs and Piracy: Here we are, willing to pay for a certain content, only to be told "I'm sorry, we only can take your money if you're in the right area of the world." The CW Homepage does not even load at all here, it just tells me, that It'S only available in the US.
On Amazon prime I wanted to buy an episode of Columbo. The local Site did not have all episodes, so i figured: doesn't matter, I just buy it from the US site. Yeah, no way: I can only by it, if my IP and my credit card are US based.

That's so stupid for both sides!

No kidding. I suppose it has to do with contracts but it seems a lot of money is being lost.

One common comment I saw throughout the day that the reboot was announced was worry about the show being on CW meaning that the characters would be played by uncharacteristically young actors. Hopefully this tweet from jms will calm those worrying about it.

Our story is rooted in Earthforce. How many teenagers do you see in command positions in the military?

One common comment I saw throughout the day that the reboot was announced was worry about the show being on CW meaning that the characters would be played by uncharacteristically young actors. Hopefully this tweet from jms will calm those worrying about it.

Our story is rooted in Earthforce. How many teenagers do you see in command positions in the military?

Depends... what kinda anime do you watch? lol

It's like people aren't willing to consider that a major reason that CW greenlit the B5 reboot was so that they could stop making exactly the same kind of show.

I don't even mind Arrow / The Flash but it's not like they're such massive ratings grabbers that the network would be insisting that every show must be like them.

So long as we get Minbari and Narn in full makeup on Whose Line Is It Anyway? then I'm all for it.

Depends... what kinda anime do you watch? lol

For inexplicable reasons... only Children can pilot these giant robots. :borg:

Folks, I think the reboot is dead in the water now. A real shame.

Press release:

After spending several years setting the pace of “The Flash” and other hard-racing TV superheroes on the CW network, Mark Pedowitz has reached the end of his current adventure.

The longtime TV executive, who has run the one-time joint venture between CBS and Time Warner since 2011, is leaving the network as Nexstar Media Group prepares to acquire the outlet, which has its roots in two antecedent networks, UPN and The WB, that both catered to younger viewers. Nexstar is expected to close the deal at some point in the third quarter of 2022, but has already begun to run the network’s operations.

Dennis Miller, a longtime TV executive who eventually moved into the world of venture capital, will take the reins as president of CW. Miller has served on Nexstar’s board of directors for the past few years.

And JMS posted:

J. Michael Straczynski
@straczynski
·
2h
We ain't dead yet.

There are still a lot of discussions going on behind the scenes and no decision has yet been made about #B5onCWin23. As we await that decision, fans eager to see a new Babylon 5 series should continue to voice their support to
@NXSTMediaGroup
and
@WarnerBrosTV

We trended at #1 in the US for three hours last time and #2 in the UK after the Queen's funeral. Let's see what we can do! Can't hurt, right?

This isn’t really new information about a possible B5 project, but I was watching a You Tube video about the possible B5 reboot and mostly heard what had already been posted here. But I think I’d missed a detail or two that I don’t recall hearing before. And about 7 minutes in an interesting possible option was mentioned:

A show could theoretically be made in long-form for HBO Max with the intention of an edited down version would be shown on the CW channel. The HBO Max version being a kind of “Director’s Cut” version, and could be longer with all of the scenes involving mature content being edited out for the CW version.

That’s an option that would never have occurred to me. If anyone is interested, I’m going to try to post the link below. I don’t know if I’m supposed to use any particular code but here is the link:

https://youtu.be/sfNPlyyZvSk

This isn’t really new information about a possible B5 project, but I was watching a You Tube video about the possible B5 reboot and mostly heard what had already been posted here. But I think I’d missed a detail or two that I don’t recall hearing before. And about 7 minutes in an interesting possible option was mentioned:

A show could theoretically be made in long-form for HBO Max with the intention of an edited down version would be shown on the CW channel. The HBO Max version being a kind of “Director’s Cut” version, and could be longer with all of the scenes involving mature content being edited out for the CW version.

That’s an option that would never have occurred to me. If anyone is interested, I’m going to try to post the link below. I don’t know if I’m supposed to use any particular code but here is the link:

Personally I think that's just somebody spitballing, making the assumption that since WB have stakes in both HBO and The CW they can mix and match the show on the different networks. But I don't think that's the case, based on what JMS has said. If the show goes ahead it will be for The CW only. The guy in the video who doesn't give his sources (and doesn't strike me as someone who would have credible intricate knowledge of the dealings of US TV networks) says projects have already been shared between The CW and HBO Max, but he doesn't go on to name any. Can anyone?

I have to say, if I had a choice I would much prefer new B5 to be made by HBO!

Personally I think that's just somebody spitballing, making the assumption that since WB have stakes in both HBO and The CW they can mix and match the show on the different networks. But I don't think that's the case, based on what JMS has said. If the show goes ahead it will be for The CW only. The guy in the video who doesn't give his sources (and doesn't strike me as someone who would have credible intricate knowledge of the dealings of US TV networks) says projects have already been shared between The CW and HBO Max, but he doesn't go on to name any. Can anyone?

I have to say, if I had a choice I would much prefer new B5 to be made by HBO!

Oh, definitely, the HBO treatment would be amazing. But it is probably not in the cards.

I think we'll be lucky to see any treatment after Pedowitz exit at the CW. It's a shame, but I think the reboot is VERY dead (personal opinion based on past experience of frequent disappointments around B5 :LOL:). The social media campaign should have been a strong sign to us all that things were getting desperate.

Maybe it's for the best.

Back