• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Babylon 5 graphic novel...

Anyone think there is still a chance this might happen? Just wondering if there has been any news on it lately. Everything I've seen on the web is from 2007.

At a con last year JMS seemed to think he'd complete it in the fall of 2008. Haven't heard anything since but he hasn't done any cons since then and that's when he usually talks about it. Unfortunately he had to cancel his appearance at NYCC this past weekend in order to attend the BAFTA awards.

Jan

I thought JMS didn't want to do any small B5 stories anymore after the lost tales didn't quite work out? Thought he was aiming for a movie or none at all.

I thought JMS didn't want to do any small B5 stories anymore after the lost tales didn't quite work out? Thought he was aiming for a movie or none at all.

Do you think he was referring to B5 tales that he'd already planned for media other than TV or movies?

Maybe somebody should ASK him in rec.arts.sf.tv.babylon5.moderated......Jan. ;) (No, not me.)

G'Kar, you look like Bo. Maybe you just REALLY need some work done.

Last edited:

I don't know how the graphic novel fits in with his decision about the future of B5 stories. Obviously, budget's less of an issue when it comes to comics, though one hopes that they'd budget for a better art team than was had originally. Maybe we'll find something out at Comic-Con.

Jan

JMS mentions it once in a while but nothing firm has been mentioned. It seems that once he finishes the script it should get done.

Jan

Do you think he was referring to B5 tales that he'd already planned for media other than TV or movies?

Maybe somebody should ASK him in rec.arts.sf.tv.babylon5.moderated......Jan. ;) (No, not me.)

G'Kar, you look like Bo. Maybe you just REALLY need some work done.

I actually did ask him when I interviewed him for Republibot a while back. He said that we're not going to see stuff written for the screen/film turn up in a graphic novel or novel format. That doesn't preclude new stories written specifically for comics or magazines or whatever, of course.

This particular GN has been in the works since 2001. It was always planned as a graphic novel and as far as we have been told it's going to be the same story he started working on then. In 2004 he said it was about halfway done. In 2006 he said it was just about ready. Later in 2006 he said: "It's still going ahead in starts and fits." The contract with Wildstorm still exists AFAIK so my guess is Joe wants to make it perfect and hasn't turned in his final draft. This particular project shouldn't be affected by other decisions involving budgets, movies, DVDs, etc.

This particular GN has been in the works since 2001. It was always planned as a graphic novel and as far as we have been told it's going to be the same story he started working on then. In 2004 he said it was about halfway done. In 2006 he said it was just about ready. Later in 2006 he said: "It's still going ahead in starts and fits." The contract with Wildstorm still exists AFAIK so my guess is Joe wants to make it perfect and hasn't turned in his final draft. This particular project shouldn't be affected by other decisions involving budgets, movies, DVDs, etc.

Interesting. I actually remember mention of this now, but I'd forgotten about it. Geez, I wish I'd remembered it when I interviewed him a while ago. I'd love to know the status on that.

Do we even have a title for it?

Back