• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Dr Who 2006

A_M_Swallow

Regular
8 June 2005

Russell Davies is co-executive producer and head writer.

{quote}
Russell T Davies talks about sci fi, Saturdays, and season two.

In the latest issue of SFX Magazine, Davies talks about the tone of the series, and making it fit the Saturday line-up.

"I can't yet see us doing a hard sci-fi episode. The essence of [an early Saturday slot] is to keep it simple. Which doesn't mean dumb. Look at [Dalek] – it's completely pure and simple, and because of that, massively strong, and then underneath that simplicity is a whole storm of complex emotions and ideas. But the important thing on Saturdays is to shout the headline. Dalek! Dickens! Blitz! Big Brother! A headline shouting 'Interesting Exploration of Temporal Physics!' isn't gonna work the same way.

"We need to hold on to that new audience and not take them for granted. Let's face it, if ITV introduce a Saturday episode of Coronation Street, and that's not such a mad idea, then we're in trouble. So we've got to keep it strong and clean, emphasise the drama above the sci fi. Feel free to disagree, of course. Feel free to disagree and yet get these viewing figures, ha ha!"

He also talks about season two, and what we can expect.

"Expect the 'same old mix' of stories for Series 2, some darker, some lighter. Some traditional – although if anything, the traditional stories are BBC Drama's least favourite, but I love them, so I'm gonna keep them in there. We're keeping the same mix of singles and two-parters, that seems to work. To be blunt, this show is a success, and it's our job to maintain that success, not wander away from it.

"Fans might study each episode 20 times, and therefore demand something different, but ordinary viewers are still getting used to this concept – not just the show, but its slot, its feel, its place in their viewing habits – and there is a genuine strength in consolidating that...[there's one story in Series 2] that could be pure horror....and there's one episode which could be very, very funny. And a brand new Doctor will automatically make it a brand new show."

But what of the new Doctor? "David Tennant can do anything! And he will! This is the wonderful legacy of Chris Ecclestion, he's made the part available for and desirable to our finest actors....the clothes will be different, because it'll be David's preferences."

SFX is on sale now.
{quote}

Russell T Davies talks about sci fi, Saturdays, and season two.

In the latest issue of SFX Magazine, Davies talks about the tone of the series, and making it fit the Saturday line-up.

"I can't yet see us doing a hard sci-fi episode. The essence of [an early Saturday slot] is to keep it simple. Which doesn't mean dumb. Look at [Dalek] – it's completely pure and simple, and because of that, massively strong, and then underneath that simplicity is a whole storm of complex emotions and ideas. But the important thing on Saturdays is to shout the headline. Dalek! Dickens! Blitz! Big Brother! A headline shouting 'Interesting Exploration of Temporal Physics!' isn't gonna work the same way.

Groan. :rolleyes: I guess that means we can't expect it to get better. I like it now, but had hoped that with time, it would develop and be much better. I guess not.

The old Dr. Whos were 1/2 hour programs in the UK, but edited together to be as long as 2-3 hours per ep in the US. How are UK fans taking the new one hour format, which means that it isn't really a serial any more?

It's 45 minutes. We have no adverts.

The new format has taken some getting used to for those of us that have seen the originals. I'm into it now though, and we have had three two-parters this season, so we have had some cliffhangers.

For those new to the Doctor, i.e. the children, they have been brought up on the 45 minute format so I shouldn't think there is a problem there.

Im happy with the new format, theres no way I could keep up with a serial any more, the way my life is these days.

In fact Im happy with the new series as a whole, its been rather satisfying to watch.

warning !! possible spoilers ahead

------------------------------------------

just watched badwolf . full scale invasion by the daleks of the game station . what does it all mean ? it is claer that the daleks arent bad wolf but something brought the daleks back or saved them could it be davros ? i think so ...

More spoilers ...

I kind of figured that the "Bad Wolf" might be the voice that the viewer heard right at the end of the ep when the Dr looked up in horror at the viewscreen.

Is it Davros? Dunno, but I don't see how that would fit. I guess Gwyneth's comment to Rose that she had seen the Big Bad Wolf could be a red herring, but for this to work properly it has to be someone we have previously seen THIS season, otherwise the new viewers reaction will be "Who the hell is that?", thereby diluting the impact of the revelation. In dramatic terms, our reaction needs to be similar to the Dr's.

My theory (probably nonsense) is that it is Adam. Somehow, he has used all the knowledge of 200,000 of future history and technology in his brain to get back at the Dr for leaving him stranded back on earth.

On the other hand, it would be really cool if it was Mickey ... but I can't quite get my head around that one, somehow.

In response to JJ and others grumbling about the format, it works just fine. The episodes are tightyer, edgier, whilst still being fun for kids. Two parters are close to a four ep run of old who in length anyway.

A lot of old who involed a certain amount of padding, running around corridors, getting split up, lost, capturered etc... it just would not work today.

More spoilers..

That ep was great. The only thing that bugged me was the music at the end when the Dr tells the Daleks how much he is going to kick their ass! It drowned out the dialogue.

My two kids (8 and 9) absolutely love this show - it is a whole family "Must-See" - and my daughters first comment at the end of "Bad Wolf"?

"It can't be finished ... that was never 45 minutes".

Time flies when you're having fun!

:D

SPOILERS!!!!!

My guess is that it's either Adam or the Dalek from Ep 6...most likely the Dalek.

Through absorption of Human DNA he's learned how to manufacture Daleks from humans. So the Bad Wolf games have a two fold purpose; to distract/neuter Earth, and to get recruits to be mutated into the new Dalek army.

Could all be bull drek, but that's what I reckon. :)

VB

To be honest I don't think its gonna be any of the ideas above, although Im putting a lot of efforrt into avoiding the spoilers that are being shown during the week apparently (according to the voice at the end of saturday's episode). Davros would surprise me least, but I suspect whatever is shown is going to relate to the time war, and were gonna see some of the dark genocidey back story thats been hinted at for the doctor.

In response to JJ and others grumbling about the format, it works just fine. The episodes are tightyer, edgier, whilst still being fun for kids. Two parters are close to a four ep run of old who in length anyway.

Now, now, I was not grumbling in the least. I was just soliciting opinions on it from those, (UK) who were accustomed to seeing it in quite a different format than we here in the US. I DID watch a bit of the old Dr. Who in the half hour serial format, on the SciFi Channel, and didn't like it that way, at all. I think hour (45m) eps, with lots of two-parters is definitely the way to go.

I DID watch a bit of the old Dr. Who in the half hour serial format, on the SciFi Channel, and didn't like it that way, at all. I think hour (45m) eps, with lots of two-parters is definitely the way to go.

When did the SciFi Channel ever run Dr. Who? :eek:

I so wish our PBS station still did. I miss the good old Doctor, in all of his incarnations. :)

I remember the first time I got to see "The Prisoner" since my childhood (and I'm not sure I ever got to see the whole thing then) was when I used to stay up later and happened to stumble onto it on the Sci Fi channel early, early morning. They used to show a web chat about the episode as it was airing.

Wow, what a horrible idea that turned out to be. :LOL:

This has nothing to do with Dr Who 2006 (or does it?) ... here is the latest from RTD on the mystery of the Bad Wolf ...

"Judging from the reactions I've had, a lot of people seem to think the Bad Wolf has already been revealed. Oh, it's the TV station. Oh, it's half a million Daleks. I've even got one friend claiming it's the Face of Boe! I must get better friends.

"I don't want to give anything away yet, but there is another revelation to come in Saturday's episode. We haven't discovered the true Bad Wolf yet."

Nicked from here

Other possibilities for the Bad wolf

The Tardis
The Doctor
Another Time Lord
The Human Race - the purpose of the space station was to keep humans imprisoned. Other races could consider us very dangerous.
Freedom
Human liking for war and/or killing
Time travel

I DID watch a bit of the old Dr. Who in the half hour serial format, on the SciFi Channel, and didn't like it that way, at all. I think hour (45m) eps, with lots of two-parters is definitely the way to go.

When did the SciFi Channel ever run Dr. Who? :eek:

I so wish our PBS station still did. I miss the good old Doctor, in all of his incarnations. :)

SciFi ran Dr. Who in it's 1/2 hour UK serial format, in an hour block with some other 1/2 hour scifi show. They gave some title to this hour program that didn't relate to either of the two things they were showing! :eek: It ran in the afternoons. I think they stopped running it at roughly the same time they started showing B5, so, it has been a few years.

I too, fondly remember Dr. Who on PBS. I have most of them on VHS, that I dubbed. I should pull some, and look at them, but I bet they look pretty bad, due to poor broadcast and cable quality, not to mention aging tape. Like most people, Tom Baker was my favorite. When PBS showed them, the eps could run from just over an hour, to almost three hours at a time, since they were trying to put together arcs of the continuing story. I actually liked the relaxed pace, but the longer ones did sometimes drag. Watching the serial UK format, I thought there was just too little progress, or content, in most eps. So, I guess I find the new format superior to both of the old ones.

What about Jack? He did have a time machine before running into the Doctor. Could he be part of the problem?

Think... bad wolf - little red riding hood. It's likely to be someone who appears to be on the Doctor's side.

I can't think how the big bad wolf from the three little pigs could be alluded to... aside from the TARDIS being like the brick house.

I purchased the new Doctor Who book of "Monsters and Villains", pub BBC.

On page 46 it mentions "The Haemovores" from October 1989. These are vampire like creatures. The story was called "The Curse of Fenric".

Fenric - an elemental force of evil from the dawn of time.
Fenric can manipulated time and had brought back the last living creature on a future Earth called The Ancient One or Ingiger.
Fenric can infect people turning them into Haemovores. These vampires are known as his wolves.

Back