• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

A Firefly question (spoilers)

Shism

Beyond the rim
In one of the features on the Firefly dvd, Joss Whedon (or another crew member I might be mistaken) mentioned Blue Sun as the company that is behind the experiments on River. Having seen all episodes twice now, I still don’t know where this bit of information has been established. Am I missing something here?

I only noticed one piece of information about this that I found quite tantalizing. In the beginning of ‘Ariel’ when River slashes open Jayne’s chest, he’s wearing a Blue Sun T-shirt! Although River herself probably didn’t understand her actions, she must have felt danger from the Blue Sun logo. (Another great little piece of detail on this one, Jayne actually owns the shirt prior to the episode. I believe he wears it in Serenity or the Train Job)

Anyway back to my original question, in which episode is it established that Blue Sun was behind the experiments on River?

In one of the features on the Firefly dvd, Joss Whedon (or another crew member I might be mistaken) mentioned Blue Sun as the company that is behind the experiments on River. Having seen all episodes twice now, I still don’t know where this bit of information has been established. Am I missing something here?

I only noticed one piece of information about this that I found quite tantalizing. In the beginning of ‘Ariel’ when River slashes open Jayne’s chest, he’s wearing a Blue Sun T-shirt! Although River herself probably didn’t understand her actions, she must have felt danger from the Blue Sun logo. (Another great little piece of detail on this one, Jayne actually owns the shirt prior to the episode. I believe he wears it in Serenity or the Train Job)

Anyway back to my original question, in which episode is it established that Blue Sun was behind the experiments on River?

I dont recall the reference, although I watched it on normal telly in the UK, so Ive seen it all only twice or so.

My expectation would be that the interview might be refering to an episode never filemd given the series' early termination.

I've heard this rumor, but only in the context of theory, not as established fact. Apparently "Blue Sun" is a name that is hidden in the background of many episodes. My main source for Firefly information never mentioned Joss in connection with this.

So to answer your question... as far as I know, it hasn't been established yet, but it seems to be a good theory.

(Commenting on River's actions during that episode... I rather suspect that if River wanted Jayne dead, he'd be dead. Ergo, she had a different objective.)

So to answer your question... as far as I know, it hasn't been established yet, but it seems to be a good theory.

No theory, it is in no uncertain terms established in the featurette.

(Commenting on River's actions during that episode... I rather suspect that if River wanted Jayne dead, he'd be dead. Ergo, she had a different objective.)

Precisly my point, she didn't really want to kill or even hurt Jayne - she was only lashing out to the logo on his shirt.

My expectation would be that the interview might be refering to an episode never filemd given the series' early termination.

I think this is pretty much on target. Little background, kind of subliminal hints at Blue Sun being behind the experiements on River were put up in the episodes made with the intention that it would come to the forefront of the story eventually as the show progressed.

Yeah, blue Sun were going to be like the Weyland-Yutani company in the Aliens films; omnipresent, and behind most industries.

There was the thematic link of "Blue Sun" and "hands of blue" too.

I recall seeing the Blue Sun logo on the side of cargo containers back in the pilot episode - Serenity.

I actually watched Ariel again tonight, and I didn't spot Jayne's shirt. I wondered why River lashed out in the way she did. Thanks for the potential explanation! :D

See, I always just assumed it was because she knew he was going to sell them out. But since he would come good in the end, she only hurt him a little.

Latest posts

Members online

Back