• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Centauri Reproduction

NarnsRule

Okay, I think everyone knew that this subject was going to inevitably come up, but it's a subject that's been bugging me ever since I saw the episodes that skimmed the topic. I hope this isn't considered taboo, but I will discuss it in a very civil manner.

So apparently Centauri males have six, and Centauri females have "recepticles" on their backs, three on either side of the spine, right above the hips, just to refresh your memory on Centauri...er, anatomy. With that aside, the real question presents itself: How in blazes do Centauri women give birth??

Human reproduction makes sense due to the fact that the needed genetic material is deposited in the same place that the child will develop and later emerge from. However, it looks like someone didn't put a lot of thought into Centauri reproduce methods, because there's no place for the child to A). Develop, and B). Emerge from. Any ideas?

Also, if only one male Centauri tentacle is needed to inseminate a female, why do they have the others? Wouldn't the other five simply be redundant and unnecessary, and over the course of their adaptation/evolution (whichever you prefer) simply cease to recur in the next generations?

Boy, I really don't mind science-fiction writers making things up like "ohh, Centauri guys have six and the woman have them here...," but it bugs me when they don't realize the anatomical ramifications of what they're saying. :LOL:

NarnsRule said:
...However, it looks like someone didn't put a lot of thought into Centauri reproduce methods....

Considering that Centauri genitalia in the show was always for comical purposes, there wasn't exactly a need for "a lot of thought" about the matter.

...there's no place for the child to A). Develop, and B). Emerge from. Any ideas?

You've seen a Centauri woman COMPLETELY naked in order to so conclusively state that there's no place from which a child could emerge? If you have seen a Centauri woman thusly, I think I must have missed a scene. ;)

Simply put, we don't know, but there's nothing that says that they don't have a vaginal birthing method inspite of where Centauri genetials hook up for the transfer of reproductive cells.

Also, if only one male Centauri tentacle is needed to inseminate a female, why do they have the others?

Where was it said that only one is needed for insemination?

......but it bugs me when they don't realize the anatomical ramifications of what they're saying.

Again, Centauri genitalia is for humorous purposes, not some hugely thoughtout near-reality element.

Considering that Centauri genitalia in the show was always for comical purposes, there wasn't exactly a need for "a lot of thought" about the matter.

I see where you're coming from; I totally didn't realize that it was for humour, which is probably why I took it seriously...

Where was it said that only one is needed for insemination?

That information I don't know from an episode, I just read it on Wikipedia.

Again, Centauri genitalia is for humorous purposes, not some hugely thoughtout near-reality element.

Yeah...and that aspect went completely over my head. :LOL:

The six different....um, parts were supposed to represent higher levels of pleasure. The higher you go the more pleasure. :eek: :LOL:

Human reproduction makes sense due to the fact that the needed genetic material is deposited in the same place that the child will develop and later emerge from. However, it looks like someone didn't put a lot of thought into Centauri reproduce methods, because there's no place for the child to A). Develop, and B). Emerge from. Any ideas?

Ok I'll use an example from the digestive system. You take food in out of your mouth, but you don't poo out of the same hole!

Crude.... but effective.

Perhaps Centauri reproductive organs work in the same way. Genetic material is deposited through one series of ducts that lead to where the Centauri female ovary is housed. As a child is brought to term, it is born through a single orafice that is entirely separate to the 6 tentacle "recepticals".

As to Centauri having six, perhaps each level of pleasure increases the chances of fertilisation. For example, the more of the 6 that are used, the harder the female's immune defences have to work to destroy the male inbound genetic material. It doesn't mean that centauri who only use one tentacle never succesfully mate, but it does mean that their odds of passing on their genes in such encounters are lower. From an evolutionary standpoint you could argue that higher passion is a desirable trait.

Even if this is only speculation it is far too much information for me. Some things should definitely be left to the imagination.

It is equally possible, indeed probable, that all six Centauri appendages are required for fertilization. That certainly makes more sense in terms of evolutionary biology than assuming that the organism developed five redundant organs in the male and corresponding orifices in the female for no good reason. It may be that all six appendages must be engaged before sexual excitement reaches the point of ejaculation. Then all six deliver sperm to all six openings, a level of redundnacy that greatly increases the chances of fertilization. (Or, if Centauri biology is like ours, maybe the outer "shell" of the egg is very tough indeed and requires not millions, but billions, of sperm to chemically break it down before one finally penetrates the membrane and fertilizes the egg.)

Regards,

Joe

It is equally possible, indeed probable, that all six Centauri appendages are required for fertilization.

<snip>

Then all six deliver sperm to all six openings, a level of redundnacy that greatly increases the chances of fertilization.

Or, alternatively .......

The second part is true but not the first.

That is to say, maybe one will sometimes do the job, but the odds of fertilization increase with each additional appendage used (and volume of sperm deposited.

For those who think that evolution will always simplify redundancy away:
I would point out parts of human anatomy which show redundancy with no signs of the "spare" becoming vestigial ..... kidneys, testicles, ....

If "spares" help increase the chances of surviving to reproduce (without "costing" too much extra to maintain, thereby reducing the odds of survival) then spares will sometimes evolve and stick around.

Latest posts

Members online

Back