B5TV.COM. Babylon 5 forums Babylon 5 message for the fans from Claudia Christian Babylon 5

Go Back   B5TV.COM > Babylon 5, Crusade and Rangers > B5.world

Old July 28th 14, 12:21   #21
Ubik
Ranger

Re: B5 Feature Film to be scriptedTRUE! There will be a feature film going into produ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Republibot 3.0 View Post
Ok,
6) "The Telepath Wars" movie/trilogy
Ignoring the novels, was this ever a going concern / confirmed project? Or has it simply been teased by JMS over the years?
Ubik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th 14, 13:42   #22
PJ Maybe
Lurker

Re: B5 Feature Film to be scriptedTRUE! There will be a feature film going into produ

Quote:
7) Failed Reboot.

Can you remind me (or point me in the direction) of this one?
PJ Maybe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th 14, 14:00   #23
ranger phil
Ranger

The TNT movies wern't bad. They wern't great but they wern't 'bad'
Legend of the Rangers? Was kinda poor but it did have some good points.
The Memory of Shadows? I remember being gutted about this when I was circular reason over on JMSnews back in the day. There didnt seem to be any middle ground. I seem to remember I was in the 'Same Actors' camp as well. Shame.
The Telepath Wars? Don't seem to remember that as a movie project. Maybe I was asleep?
The Failed Reboot? Might have worked, but we'll never know.
The Lost Tales. Massive missed opportunity by WB. If they had given Joe some decent funding it would have been amazing stuff. It still sold well. I enjoyed Lochleys far more than Sheridans... Who would figure?
Old July 28th 14, 14:08   #24
Ubik
Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ Maybe View Post
Quote:
7) Failed Reboot.

Can you remind me (or point me in the direction) of this one?
This was to be a complete reboot of the Babylon 5 series. Very little is known about the project other than the fact that Straczynski was given a full 22 episode first season commitment, a budget of 2-3 million dollars per episode and full creative control. The series was to be part of a ‘new distribution service’ which never materialised and as such the project was abandoned.
Ubik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st 14, 13:54   #25
Republibot 3.0
Psi Cop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubik View Post
Quote:
Ok,
6) "The Telepath Wars" movie/trilogy
Ignoring the novels, was this ever a going concern / confirmed project? Or has it simply been teased by JMS over the years?
JMS was clearly interested in doing this, and said that he wanted it in prodution after the Star Wars Prequels were done, so it wouldn't be in competition. He generally hinted it'd be a trilogy. I have no idea where it went, or how far it went. I doubt far. I imagine he had an outline of the events of The Telepath Crisis itself, to cull for references in Crusade and LOTR as the case may arise, and that was probably the core of the movie as well. Probably no further than that.

But whether he had 360 pages of script ready to go, or if he was just flat out lying about the whole thing doesn't matter: We still got burned.

Kevin Long
(The Artist Formerly Known As Republibot 3.0, And The World's Greatest Living Thurl Ravenscroft Impersonator)
http://www.kevin-long.com
Republibot 3.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st 14, 13:59   #26
Republibot 3.0
Psi Cop

anyway. Bottom line: JMS has been dorking around with the idea of a continuation forever, and for the 7-ish projects we know, there's probably at least as many or more that he never spoke about openly.

Lately I've been thinking the idea way to go would have been with TV movies, one a year, self-contained stories, featuring as much of the cast as he could grab, and introducing a few new characters along the way. It's not as awesome as a series, but if I'm perfectly frank, Season 5 and Crusade were sub-par, so maybe he wasn't able to do a series anymore at that point.

In any event, we'd have had 17 or 18 of these things by now, and that's better than what we ended up with, right?

I've also been thinking that maybe it was a mistake to try to extend the series at all. The whole thing should have been self-contained, and resolve the Telepath Crisis within the 110 episodes as well.

Kevin Long
(The Artist Formerly Known As Republibot 3.0, And The World's Greatest Living Thurl Ravenscroft Impersonator)
Old July 31st 14, 19:19   #27
Springer
Ambassador

Quote:

I've also been thinking that maybe it was a mistake to try to extend the series at all. The whole thing should have been self-contained, and resolve the Telepath Crisis within the 110 episodes as well.
Totally agree with this. Not that some of the TNT movies and parts of Crusade weren't good, but as I've said previously I bought into the idea of the five year arc. I wasn't keen on the telepath war being held back for some mythical big screen outing that never happened as it seemed to go against the grain of what JMS had always said about the five-year arc concluding the storyline.
Springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st 14, 06:56   #28
Raw Shark
Commander

I liked the TNT movies, and I liked season 5. There are episodes I didn't care for at all, like Learning Curve. Do I wish they were never made? Nope. I simply skip over them when I watch the DVDs. Hardly a big deal.

JMS did say that everything would be tied up and answered by the end of year 5, and it wasn't. I don't mind, because one of the greatest things about the series and the universe is that it took place in a galaxy with its own history. In Infection, a series of wars was mentioned that were probably related to the wars against the Shadows, and suggesting that history is about to repeat itself. The gradual discovery of the galaxy's history is an amazing lens through which to explore the B5 universe, it's a level of mystery underlying everything else happening in the series. I've never seen anything like it. The Telepath War was a wonderful attempt to suggest that the show goes on (not the tv show) after the curtain falls, the characters and conflicts continue. And that's the nature of this universe, that the history goes back a million years, and forward another million. We saw several important stories in that universe, and the door was left wide open for more. Otherwise JMS would have blown up the station at the end of 2262, and said 'no more.' I'm glad he didn't, because I would have hated to see the doors slam shut on B5. Crusade, I think, is the strongest of the spin-offs. Just like early B5, the dialogue is so thick with clues, hints, and mysteries. And although I was/am disappointed that Crusade was cancelled, and the Telepath War was never made, I for one do not feel burned. These are stories I really wanted to see, but was never owed. It's Hollywood, not all projects get made, just a fraction. C'est la vie. As in life as a whole, take what you can get.

I agree about Lost Tales, it was a terribly wasted opportunity. The stories they filmed were not so great, largely due to budget. That happens. The Garibaldi story they couldn't film I didn't find very good at all. But... After an initial investment, the DVD sales could have funded the whole thing beyond that, eliminating the politics involved in distribution, advertising (remember the Ninja motorcycle story? Ugh.), and ratings. If it pays for itself, it sells well, has an established fan base, and there are no networks or advertisers to keep happy, then things are radically different. Viola, total creative control. Oh well. That was the format in which B5 needed to be continued. And it still could. Hollywood has gone sequel/prequel/reboot crazy. New creations seem to be out of the question at the moment, it's simply not done. Which is sad, even pathetic, I could use many words for what I hope is a weird phase. But what if that leads someone at Warner Bros. to say 'What about Babylon 5? It already exists. And we already own it.'

I've never seen anything suggesting that the Telepath War was supposed to be a trilogy of films. Where was that? I do think the story could be told really well in six hours. 1.5 hours for In the Beginning felt a bit rushed to me, although I loved the film overall. I guess that's fine for Minbari, but once there are telepaths involved, things get complicated. We all know how those people are.

Raw Shark

"Sex Cauldron? I thought they shut that place down!"
Krusty the Klown
Raw Shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st 14, 15:23   #29
JoeD80
Commander

Quote:
He generally hinted it'd be a trilogy.
Don't think that ever happened.

Quote:
I have no idea where it went, or how far it went. I doubt far. I imagine he had an outline of the events of The Telepath Crisis itself, to cull for references in Crusade and LOTR as the case may arise, and that was probably the core of the movie as well. Probably no further than that.

But whether he had 360 pages of script ready to go, or if he was just flat out lying about the whole thing doesn't matter: We still got burned.
Well you know this info isn't exactly secret. The beginnings of an outline were published in the movie script book. Not too much there. However, Lyta and Lennier were set to die.

There was also a more complete outline of a different feature film idea that had nothing to do with the telepath war.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Springer View Post
Totally agree with this. Not that some of the TNT movies and parts of Crusade weren't good, but as I've said previously I bought into the idea of the five year arc. I wasn't keen on the telepath war being held back for some mythical big screen outing that never happened as it seemed to go against the grain of what JMS had always said about the five-year arc concluding the storyline.
Huh? The telepath war isn't the five-year storyline. The story is the story of the station.

Last edited by JoeD80; August 1st 14 at 15:34.
JoeD80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st 14, 16:15   #30
Republibot 3.0
Psi Cop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raw Shark View Post
I liked the TNT movies, and I liked season 5. There are episodes I didn't care for at all, like Learning Curve. Do I wish they were never made? Nope. I simply skip over them when I watch the DVDs. Hardly a big deal.

JMS did say that everything would be tied up and answered by the end of year 5, and it wasn't. I don't mind, because one of the greatest things about the series and the universe is that it took place in a galaxy with its own history.
I go back and forth on this. I want more, but at the same time I kind of want less. I like the idea of a solid beginning, middle, and ending, which is part of what attracted me to the show. Not every series needs to spawn an endless franchise. On the other hand, I keep eating pizza, and I don't even like it all that much, so...

JMS actually didn't say he'd wrap everything up. He said he'd wrap everything up except for one plot thread, which he'd follow up if there was enough interest. We now know that the 'wrapping it up' meant Sinclair, DeLenn, and Baby David on the run, hunted by the whole galaxy after B5 blew up and the Shadows won the war. Dangling thread is "What do the Sinclairs do?"

Kind of a downer. Midway through, he decided to merge his initial B5 concept with his "Babylon Prime" spinoff concept, and that's the show we got, which, honestly, I think is better than the show he planned. I count us lucky.

That said: he's showing clear signs of plot erosion by the last season. Stories meander, arcs are unfocused, or exist to set up stories we'll never see. He was making movies and in preproduction on another series. It got away from him. Instead of wrapping everything up, or leaving just one (new) thread dangling, we got like a dozen.

- what became of Lennier?
- The Telepath Crisis?
- Bester and Garibaldi?
- The Drakh?
- Others.

I get that some of these were "Life goes on" things, and I'm cool with that, but a lot were just sloppy, or hail-mary passes he threw assuming he'd be in a position to catch 'em later on. And he wasn't. And that irritates me.

Kevin Long