• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Customizable Forum Experience?

Recoil

Regular
To any who might know:

With this new vBulletin, I was wondering if the following was possible. Is there a way to set things up so that only NEW threads or threads that I CHOOSE come up as showing new posts in them, and thus in those forums?

Here is a current example:

Non-B5TV forum contains a couple threads that are currently being posted in:

* S3 BSG Thread
* Dr Who Season 1 Thread

While I do participate and read the BSG thread, I really don't give a rats ass about the Dr Who thread. So when I come to B5TV.com and see that there are new posts in the Non-B5 TV thread, I usually open it up. Sometimes, however, the new posts are in the Dr Who thread, which I don't care about, so I end up having to mark the forum as "read" and move on. I would like to be able to have the system IGNORE that thread, so even if there are new posts in it, that for me it wouldn't reflect it as such. So only threads that are NEW or ones that I mark, show up as containing new posts.

Is such a thing possible?

Not a critical need, just this upgrade has me curious as to what is possible...

Okay, even though you sorely dissed my favorite TV sci fi show that is curently playing, I will answer you... :p

In the upper left hand corner, you will see "User CP." Click on that, and it will bring up a list of your subscribed threads that have new posts. Any thread you post in becomes a subscribed thread. To subscribe to a thread without posting to it, with that thread up, click on "thread tools," and subscribe to the thread. If this board works like another I use, there will be a confirmation to click, but you won't see it unless you scroll down the page. You may start browsing on the "User CP" page, but it won't display new topics you might be interested in.

ADDENDUM
I just checked, and this forum does NOT require a confirmation click to subscribe to a thread, so disreguard what I said about that above. I also found out that voting in a poll in a thread does NOT subscribe to it, like posting to it would.

PSS One more thing - if you had posted to a thread before the change over to VBulletin, that won't make it a subscribed thread, that didn't get transfered, I guess.

Last edited:
That may be, but currently, there are threads that I am not subscribed to (that I never posted in) yet they still show new posts when other people post in them...

That may be, but currently, there are threads that I am not subscribed to (that I never posted in) yet they still show new posts when other people post in them...

On your "User CP" list? I don't think so. Click on "User CP." The list you see there will have ONLY threads you subscribed to that have had a reply since you read them. That does not affect the display on the main forum page, it just makes a personal list for you, at that one location.

Currently you have to subscribe to threads manually, it won't happen automatically. I tend to use the quick reply option anyway, so I never even see the subscription dialog.

For me, clicking mark forums read isn't that much of a bother, but that's just me.

maneth said:
Currently you have to subscribe to threads manually, it won't happen automatically....

Have you tried changing your settings by going through your "User CP", under the "Edit Options" section, there's a subsection called "Messaging & Notification", and in it there's an option for "Default Thread Subscription Mode" that one can set to "Do not subscribe", "No email notification", "Instant email notification", "Daily email notification", or "Weekly email notification". Once set, as it says, "When you post a new thread, or reply to a topic, you can choose to automatically add that thread to your list of subscribed threads...." You can then access your subscribed threads either by going to your "User CP" and clicking on the "List Subscriptions" option, or by going through the "Quick Links" and clicking "Subscribed Threads" in the dropdown menu.

Right. Thanks! I might do that. Usually, I'm not unduly bothered by having threads that I'm not interested in showing unread posts.

Then there's the arrows to the left and bold type for those threads that have new posts in them. Having read all you want, you can mark the entire forum read to clean it up for yourself.

Back