B5TV.COM. Babylon 5 forums Babylon 5 message for the fans from Claudia Christian Babylon 5
Old May 2nd 06, 18:39   #11
KoshN

Re: I met Mira Fulran today

Quote:
When I think about what conventions and publicity events are like, I'm actually surprised when any of them are nice.

This is why I actually don't want to meet actors and musicians and writers who's work I enjoy.
I know what you mean. Happened to me with Brent Spiner back in ~1993. OTOH, when I met Mira in Feb. 1997, she was cordial, and clearly having a fun time at the con. I've met Pat 2 or 3 times and she was <u>always</u> nice. Ditto for Peter Woodward, Jeff Willerth, Michael Dorn (TNG/DS9), ....and James Doohan (who I met at a Trek con. way back in 1975).

Wish I would've been able to make it to the 1999 con. in eastern PA, where all of the Crusade cast appeared (but I had a conflicting annual meeting of the Pennsylvania Railroad Technical and Historical Society), and wish I would've met Andreas.
KoshN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd 06, 00:10   #12
Recoil
First One

Quote:
The worst star at a signing is William Shatner, I paid 25 and he didn't even look up to say hello.
As bad as it sounds defending this....just try to put yourself in his shoes...

He's been doing conventions for FORTY YEARS. Hell Star Trek is the reason conventions even exist. Try doing something like that and be expected to bring your "A" game to every single one with the same types of fans and questions time, after time, after time, after time...
Recoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd 06, 02:46   #13
hypatia
First One

25 bucks and he didn't even look up: that's not even close to trying for an "A" game.

If you're burnt out of the convention scene: stop doing it.

If you continue in order to make money, at least have a little respect for the fans who are giving you that money.
hypatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd 06, 04:13   #14
Recoil
First One

I don't think hes doing it to make money...
Recoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd 06, 04:30   #15
hypatia
First One

When they charge 25 pounds (sorry, it was pounds, not dollars) for a signed picture, they are doing it for the money.

Unless that was fucking expensive photo paper.
hypatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd 06, 13:10   #16
Chilli
High Treason Prevention Officer

Send a message via ICQ to Chilli Send a message via MSN to Chilli

Shatner has a very strong and old reputation of disliking his fans and being rude to them IIRC (well, IIRC, the reputation is that he's rude to everyone ) .. I really don't know for what but money he would be doing that today ...

... though I can see how fans would be getting annoying after 40 years. But there is the option of .. not doing conventions. Many people that just weren't/aren't good at it have opted for that (Michael O'Hare for example) .. probably what I would do if I was a star
Chilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd 06, 18:46   #17
Londos6
First One

Quote:
Shatner has a very strong and old reputation of disliking his fans and being rude to them IIRC (well, IIRC, the reputation is that he's rude to everyone ) .. I really don't know for what but money he would be doing that today ...
If more fans knew that they probably wouldn't be paying 25 for his autograph!
Londos6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th 06, 03:45   #18
AnlaShokGrey
Ambassador

Quote:
"Your Lost character reminds me of Delenn but with more guns", I joked.
Mira: "I don't think they're alike."
Well, this might have made her less likely to be effusive with you - no actor wants to be told, "Wow, you're playing this character exactly like you played that character!"

Amy
AnlaShokGrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th 06, 18:10   #19
Chilli
High Treason Prevention Officer

Send a message via ICQ to Chilli Send a message via MSN to Chilli

I must admit, voice and face aside, Rousseau doesn't really much remind me of Delenn
Chilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th 06, 19:27   #20
AntonyF
Administrator

Quote:

He's been doing conventions for FORTY YEARS. Hell Star Trek is the reason conventions even exist. Try doing something like that and be expected to bring your "A" game to every single one with the same types of fans and questions time, after time, after time, after time...
No, it's inexcusable. Sure we can understand that people have off days, but that doesn't mean we have to accept them. We only get a few moments with that star... we have kept him in a job, you then pay money to him and he's rude? No, it's just not acceptable. If after forty years he's having a hard time he shouldn't do it.

Quote:
I also met Mira, Pat, and Julie Catlin Brown at Collectormania.
Julie was nice, I liked her. Very down to earth.
AntonyF is offline   Reply With Quote