B5TV.COM. Babylon 5 forums Babylon 5 message for the fans from Claudia Christian Babylon 5
Old February 3rd 05, 05:25   #11
GaribaldisHair
First One

Re: Enterprise axed?

I haven't looked up any figures for Enterprise, but as we have discussed on this board many times before ... it matters not how good a show is, only how many people watch it (and therefore how many advertisers will pay for space).

On that basis, it would appear that by the time Manny Coto was brought in, it was already too late for the show to be saved.
GaribaldisHair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd 05, 05:43   #12
AntonyF
Administrator

Quote:
On that basis, it would appear that by the time Manny Coto was brought in, it was already too late for the show to be saved.
They did this with Voyager. Bring someone in new in its final days. They did it with Kenneth Biller in the last season of Voyager... and he too improved Voyager, I feel.
AntonyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd 05, 06:52   #13
kin_of_zathras
First One

Oh Happy day

Let them trekkers or trekkies, or whatever they're calling themselves these days, feel the indignation of being shafted like we have been for Crusade and the TMOS: recasting.

What Firefly or Crusade could have done with 4 seasons...
kin_of_zathras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd 05, 10:43   #14
Recoil
First One

Quote:
Crusade was decent by Episode 2
Dunno Ninja. I don't agree with this at all.

Crusade had potential from day 1, only because JMS was doing it and we all know how great B5 turned out. I don't think Crusade hit its stride *AT ALL* in the 13 episodes I watched and now own on DVD. Thats not to say that there werent some good ones in there, a couple of them were good. But they were only "Parliment of Dreams" good, not "Chrysalis" or "Signs and Portents" good. The Crusade episodes filmed never had that solid punch, or feeling that every second of the episode was just "HUGE" like many of the big B5 episodes did.

Crusade never hit its stride, and never got a chance. It was DECENT in its 13 episode run, but we aren't talking about being just "decent" here, we are talking about shows taking off and really showing their stuff early on. Crusade never did. IT would have --- given some of the unflimed scripts --- but we will never know.

IMO, Enterprise never hit its true stride, as I said above, till its Season 4. And I'm talking Season 4 after they tied up that lame cliffhanger. "Home" and all the episodes after that I felt were very solid Sci-Fi television.

But as I said before...too little...too late.
Recoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd 05, 12:03   #15
AntonyF
Administrator

To me, Enterprise became viable in season three. "Azati Prime" was the first time I sat up and thought Enterprise was good. Episodes like "The Council" only reinforced that view.

I still agree with your point though, too little too late. The damage was done, and it's a lot harder to bring people back than to keep them.
AntonyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd 05, 12:05   #16
Recoil
First One

See, I didn't see any of those episodes. I had long since given up on the show at that point. The *only* reason I watched Season 4 was because of the buzz around Manny and his plans. If not for that, I wouldn't have seen 1 episode of Season 4 either...
Recoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd 05, 12:21   #17
LondosHair
First One

It saddens me that Enterprise will be thought of as the "bastard" series by "fans" who think they know it all. Especially since the show is just (finally) getting good.

Star Trek does need a break though. Not many TV franchises can boast an 18-year run (Trek has been on TV in one form or another every year since 1987!). Let alone the fact that the franchise itself is over 40 years old! Berman is half-right about "too many trips to the well." When doing sci-fi, the "well" is literally bottomless. HE personally has made one too many trips to the well, and has forgotten what he was fishing for in the first place.

Star Trek's current caretakers (Berman, etc.) have become burned-out, I think. The franchise needs some fresh new blood, with new ideas, and who are most importantly fervent and attentive Trek FANS and know how to write it. Star Trek at its core is a proven success. They need to get back to that, while also updating their style.

They need to look around at the kind of sci-fi that's been beating them up. Things are being done a different way now -- I'm talking about shows like Battlestar Galactica, the Stargate shows, etc.

If it takes them a couple/three years to stop, catch their breath, and start over, then that's fine by me. I've got enough sci-fi to hold me over til then.
LondosHair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd 05, 12:24   #18
LondosHair
First One

It just creeped me out when I read that Battlestar Galactica is beating up Star Trek.

I feel unclean now... even though I *am* talking about the new BSG, certainly not the old one.
LondosHair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd 05, 12:30   #19
A_M_Swallow
First One

JMS submitted a new version of Star Trek last year. I wonder if Paramount will read it?
A_M_Swallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd 05, 12:32   #20
GKarsEye
First One

I had a lot of expectations and pre-judgements going into the series: I expected and felt strongly it should be about two things: exploration TOS style and the political/military events leading up to the Federation and universe we see in TOS. Perhaps it was wrong to think like this, but I couldn't help it, given the nature of both Trek in general and the fact that it's a prequel.

At the very beginning of the series, it had promise of the former and the Klingon events in the pilot suggested the latter. The exploration situations proved to vary from pleasant to somewhat entertaining to bland and derivative. Failing in this direction (the original promise of the show and even captured in the opening title sequence), they tried the Big Arc stuff which, for some reason, had nothing to do with anything in the Trek universe. There was a lot of posturing and "fakeness" in the show (now let's make Archer moody and bad-ass; oh, alien Nazis! )

Season 4 hints at finally pursuing the second of Enterprise's promises: the historical backstory. We've already seen the Dr Sung's predecessor, a Vulcan conflict that leads to the culture we see in TOS, and now the first conflict with the Romulans.

It's getting good.

And NOW they cancel it.

If they had canceled it after season 3, I wouldn't care, because the show would have just been a failure. But now that it's finally demonstrating promise- boom.

Sunuvabich.
GKarsEye is offline   Reply With Quote