B5TV.COM. Babylon 5 forums Babylon 5 message for the fans from Claudia Christian Babylon 5
Old October 16th 01, 08:33   #1
Kribu
Administrator

New review at Aint It Cool News

There is what seems to be a new review of Legend of the Rangers at the Aint It Cool News site.

Legend of the Rangers review

Warning: it has loads of spoilers. And the reviewer doesn't sound too happy with the movie.
I still refuse to succumb to pessimism myself.

------------------
"It's animal magnetism. What can I say?"
- G'Kar, A Tragedy of Telepaths
Visit Kribu's Lounge - now completely ad-free!
Kribu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th 01, 08:42   #2
Delbert
Dead Account

Re: New review at Aint It Cool News

Kribu, you must have posted at the same time as me! Actually, I didn't think that there were that many spoilers in the review, as the reviewer doesn't really cover the plot, the previous review was more involved with the plot. I suppose that you could call the greater emphasis on the look and sound of the show in this review spoilers, though. And I'm still looking forward to seeing the movie, whenever we get it on this side of the Atlantic; it's just worth seeing what, if anything, people don't like about a production as well as rave reviews. I'm a bit worried about the polarisation of views so far: cast say it's knockout, but the AICN reviewers seem really unimpressed. I'd like to see a few more independent opinions, and a greater range of views.

But I'll still look forward to it myself, just with more structured expectations.

------------------
Delbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th 01, 08:44   #3
Kribu
Administrator

Yes, I beat you by three minutes.

No, there weren't too many spoilers as such - but he does elaborate on the enemy a little more than we know from the trailers/interviews so far, for instance.

Yes, it wasn't a nice review. Then again, he says he didn't like Crusade either - and very many people, me included, liked that. So I'm reserving my judgement until I've seen it.

I'm just a tiny little bit worried though.

------------------
"It's animal magnetism. What can I say?"
- G'Kar, A Tragedy of Telepaths
Visit Kribu's Lounge - now completely ad-free!
Kribu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th 01, 10:27   #4
Mondo Londo
First One

I guess we'll find out for ourselves in January...

------------------
"What's up, Drakh?"

Michael Garibaldi
Mondo Londo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th 01, 10:48   #5
MOmega

I can copy my opinion from another topic
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> I've read the review. So, if the half of the points in the review are true, than I have to said: "LOTR is not B5 anymore".
Good bye B5. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

------------------
Old October 16th 01, 11:36   #6
hypatia
First One

Well, this reviewer is very very into Star Trek. Now, I know many of my co-workers are both Star Trek and B5 fans, as am I. But I have learned since that there are MANY who just tend to trash each other. (Note Solaris' frustration in some other threads.) So, keep that in mind.

I will give the reviewer this much, though: he can spell and make complete sentences. The last one was pretty sloppy (the last reviewer, I mean).

------------------
"I do not believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense,
reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use."-- Galileo
hypatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th 01, 12:10   #7
Dekion
First One

Ain't it Cool News had another review, from a different Trekkie, who liked it (without effects I might add). AICN has been a pretty shitty SciFi site for a long time, their indecision on this is not a surprise. Basically this place is just a bunch of "fanboys", nothing more. I look for ward to the Cinescape and SciFi Wire reviews, those I will believe, AICN I truly think has stunk for years now, with no hope of ever making sense.

------------------
Dekion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th 01, 12:41   #8
GKarsEye
First One

Pardon my French, but critics can all go fuck themselves.

Am I the only who read tons of negative press for B5? Original Trek got slammed when it came out, too. Until the Simpsons achieved mass popularity, it wasn't recognized by most press for its wit and clever writing.

And don't even get me started on music critics. You should see all the bad press John Coltrane got.

Reviewers get flooded with stuff to watch, so they look at everything very superficially. Much of the time, their main concern is to predict whether or not the thing they are reviewing will be popular, so that they can be shown to have been right. Since Rangers will appeal to a small niche market, there is no reason for a reviewer to really look at the thing.

And there's the silly Trek vs B5 thing someone mentioned above. Of course this reviewer has to jump into the Trek comparisons, which is silly. Anybody with that small of a reference viewpoint loses credibility with me.

The really dumb thing in that review was the LOTR= Legend of the Rangers and Lord of the Rings. So, what, no one's supposed to use those letters now? Wtf?

Then he goes into how "cliche" the characters are. The B5 characters were cliche too, until the story propelled them forward. This is how JMS works: he takes the familiar, then, in the course of time, he flips it on its ass. Sure, this takes a bit of patience from the audience, but the reward is much more than sitting through 7 years of a Trek series to come out with nothing in the end (sorry, but Picard playing cards with the crew isn't nearly as big a character change as Londo sitting on the throne alone with a Keeper).

And lots of complaints about the FX. Well, sorry Mr Hot Shot Critic, but Rangers didn't have the $67 gazillion budget that Trek did, but I guess Truth has no place in your world, does it?

If the critic knew anything about B5, he would know that the characters and FX would only improve if it would go to series. This movie acts as a starting point, not a complete picture.

Screw him and the horse he rode in on, and don't let these bastard critics tell you what to watch, read, and enjoy. If I did that, I wouldn't be listening to half the music I listen to and be stuck reading Michael Crichton books.

------------------
"You do not make history. You can only hope to survive it."
GKarsEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th 01, 12:51   #9
channe
First One

Well, the second review really doesn't give much away, so I decided to go and read it (if it got too spoilerish, of course, I'd not finish... but it didn't tell me anything I didn't already know about Sarah's job, or the aliens, etc...)

I really got pissed at the Trek comparisons. Not because the reviewer was placing B5LR in comparison to Trek (again) - can't he just take B5LR as it is: it's own creative work inspired by a certain universe but certainly not in keeping with the series that spawned it? Yeesh.

For me, he kvetched a lot more about the computer graphics than he did the story and the characters. And one thing that pissed me off about the status of the characters in relationship to one another -

<table bgcolor=black><tr><td bgcolor=black><font size=1 color=white>Spoiler:</font></td></tr><tr><td><font size=2 color=black> The thing he said about the "relationshipper" possibility between David and Sarah. </font></td></tr></table>

Well.. of COURSE. DUH. It's good storytelling to have an element like that in the story... why do you think it's used over and over again? And also - I'm putting this in a spoiler box because it would spoil the above by context:

<table bgcolor=black><tr><td bgcolor=black><font size=1 color=white>Spoiler:</font></td></tr><tr><td><font size=2 color=black> Sheridan and Ivanova never jumped into a relationship. Ever. Yes, men and women can be friends. Just because David and Sarah are of the opposite sex and good friends.. does not mean they'll end up as 'shipper chow! Especially if one's a commanding officer! </font></td></tr></table>

I'm still reserving judgement, because this guy was obviously more concerned with the testosterone than the story.

------------------
Ranger Channe, the next JMS, who walks in the dark places no one may enter, lives for the One, and dies for the chocolate cheesecake.

[This message has been edited by channe (edited October 16, 2001).]
channe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th 01, 13:12   #10
Modane
First One

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by channe:
I really got pissed at the Trek comparisons. Not because the reviewer was placing B5LR in comparison to Trek (again) - can't he just take B5LR as it is: it's own creative work inspired by a certain universe but certainly not in keeping with the series that spawned it? Yeesh.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Indeed.
Hopefully, a B5 fan will review it soon. Why are all the Trek fans getting them? it makes no sense. lol

------------------
No one here is exactly what he appears.
G'Kar - Andreas Katsulas

Nothing's the same anymore.
Commander Sinclair - Michael O'Hare

Babylon 5
Modane is offline   Reply With Quote