B5TV.COM. Babylon 5 forums Babylon 5 message for the fans from Claudia Christian Babylon 5
Old April 30th 01, 13:00   #1
Kribu
Administrator

Vorlons

OK, this is something I've been wondering about (well, I haven't actually spent any sleepless nights pondering that question, but still...).

The Vorlons: were there actually male and female Vorlons or were they all the same? Both Kosh and Ulkesh *sounded* and *seemed* male but that could have been just the suit and the thing via which they spoke.

And while I'm at it: the Vorlons were all rather old, right? What happened, weren't there any Vorlon babies born anymore after some time (when they achieved either a certain number or a certain level of development) or what?

Yeah, I know, I don't have a life

------------------
"You've misspelled this. There's no 'Y' in liberties."
"Oh, go away. Repress someone else."
Kribu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th 01, 13:33   #2
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Vorlons

As far as I remember the Vorlons do reproduce somehow... I remember Kosh saying (to Sheridan?) that the Vorlons are not ready - it's not their time and there's still too few of them.

Maybe they multiply by placing pieces of themselves into other beings?

------------------
Canned flarn is a sacrilege.

[This message has been edited by Lennier (edited April 30, 2001).]
Old April 30th 01, 14:29   #3
LondosHair
First One

If memory serves, when Sheridan first met Lorien, they spoke of Kosh. Lorien said "I think I met it once," referring to Kosh as "it." That can either confuse or clarify this issue, I'm just not sure which. <g>

A further comment from JMS on the Lurker's Guide (under "Whatever Happened to Mr. Garibaldi?" states:
"Female is an irrelevant concept to the vorlons ... I think Lorien is beyond concepts of male and female as they pertain to the Vorlons...that's our perception of them, not his."

------------------
-Londo's Hair
"Vir, intelligence has nothing to do with politics!"

[This message has been edited by LondosHair (edited April 30, 2001).]
LondosHair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th 01, 18:17   #4
SamGadsby
First One

kribu, we never saw a Vorlon home, or homeworld. We don't even now the color of their planet. No war ship has a sign in the window reading "Baby on board." And B5 only had Vorlon ambassadors.

------------------
"Gideon says we all have things to hide."
"Does he? How unfortunate, I was hoping he'd come further than that. Well not that it isn't true of course, it's just that one simply doesn't have to say it."

"I was just trying to work out whether a comment from me right now would be most wanted or least needed."
SamGadsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th 01, 20:08   #5
Entil`Zha
Lurker

The Vorlons, being Energy based lifeforms (I think), can maybe reproduce by dividing that energy and using another Vorlon's energy to create a new one, or maybe they divide like the atoms do when they "collide"? Anyway, I'm not sure if immortal species can reproduce, any thought?

------------------
We live for the one, we die for the one
Entil`Zha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th 01, 20:17   #6
**DONOTDELETE**

But are the Vorlons immortal, or do they just live for an INCREDIBLY long time? I think I remember one character (Lorien?) saying that it'd been a long time since any of the Vorlons had died, and that's why they took Kosh's death so badly. Does this mean it had been a long time since any Vorlons were killed (i.e. in the last Shadow War) or since any had died naturally?

------------------
You are finite. Zathras is finite. This...is wrong tool.

jtk724@hotmail.com
Old April 30th 01, 20:37   #7
Entil`Zha
Lurker

No one knows for sure, maybe the last Vorlon died in the previous Shadow War... I don't think we will ever know. But one thing I'd like to see is a ship from the Alliance going to the Vorlon Homeworld and coming back to tell about it!

------------------
We live for the one, we die for the one
Entil`Zha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th 01, 21:02   #8
Kribu
Administrator

Yeah, that would be cool... I wonder if anyone even attempted approaching the Vorlon homeworld after they left? Or would everyone have been too afraid (of traps etc)? (I suppose this would have to be pure speculation, though...)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>We don't even now the color of their planet. No war ship has a sign in the window reading "Baby on board." <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I know that, SamGadsby. I just seemed to recall from somewhere (Lurker's Guide? it was ages ago, so I don't remember for sure) that "all the Vorlons" were supposedly rather old - not just an old race, but all the members of the race were old.

------------------
"You've misspelled this. There's no 'Y' in liberties."
"Oh, go away. Repress someone else."
Kribu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th 01, 21:03   #9
Cleron
First One

all the "Frist Ones" live forever.... They CAN die but not from age or dezieses...

------------------
G'kar " No dictator no invader can hold an imprissioned population by force of arms .forever.. there is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom...against that power goverments and tirants and armies Cannot stand... The centuri learned this lession once ... We will teach it to them again... though it take a thousand years... We will be Free!"
Cleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th 01, 22:03   #10
drakh
First One

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Entil`Zha:
The Vorlons, being Energy based lifeforms (I think)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>They're at least partly physical (silicone based according to jms).
drakh is offline   Reply With Quote