• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

WKRP in Cincinnati

hypatia

Regular
O.K. Can someone explain this to me?

They found a way to get "WKRP in Cincinnati", and old and very funny USA television show, onto DVD. At sites like amazon.com and netflix.com only season 1 is available.

Yet a friend told me the entire series can be bought on DVD now, from sites like www.tvdvdworld.tv

Yup, it's there. But if a DVD is "Region free" by design, it's not rated, has no extras, and can't be found at more major online stores, is that reason to believe these might be cheap dubbed (illegal?) copies?

If not, I'm saving up $52 plus shipping, I think. I've been renting season 1 and it really was just a simple, well-written and acted delight. From day 1 "Johnny Fever" (Howard Hessman, I believe) stole the show.

Venus's first radio broadcast was rather hilarious, as well. Before the change of format of the station brought in new advertisers. And on disc one is the infamous "Turkey" episode.

Anyhow, I'd love to have the entire series, but this just seems odd, so I thought I'd ask the DVD experts over here. :)

If anyone can help, thanks in advance.

I love the turkey episode. Turkeys can't fly!

I'm not sure about getting them from the other place. Maybe it just hasn't made it to the big studios yet for dvd release? I would think they'd jump all over that. We got "All in the Family" for Christmas (seasons 1-3,) so you would think they'd have WKRP, too.

That's the show I got my name from! I should check that out and see if I can swing the money for it. I loved watching that show.

So basically people around here think it's either legit, or no one cares, right? :)

I was laughing just at the pilot episode. "This coffee keeps me sharp as a tac..." "mind if I sit down?" "you're not a cop, are you? :eek:"

Sorry, out of context it just loses the humor. But I'd really say WKRP was just as funny, in a very different way, as the series "Coupling". And for me, that's about the highest praise I can give a situation comdey. :)

Very unlikely that it is legit. I heard the problem with releasing the series on dvd was getting the rights to all the music on the show. I think they tried to replace them with other songs but it just wasn't the same.

I don't know, you can rent season 1 on Netflix, but not (yet?) season 2. I'm pretty sure Netflix doesn't rent bootlegged copies. It would ruin them, if they were caught doing that.

So I'm assuming, actually, that season 1 is legit, but not the entire series (yet).

Third Watch was just released (after all this time) due to the fact that they had to get permission because of the music. So, maybe that's part of it?

Last edited:
That is definitely what delayed its initial release, from what I've heard. Again, my suspicion is that this one site has all three seasons, and others all seem to have only season 1 out. Also a few other things I mention originally.

I suspect they are illegal copies. I'm willing to wait, since there seems to be no reason not to see season 2, I figure. With the popularity of television-on-DVD, I just don't see one site having this when no one else does, and not makine a huge deal over their "exclusive rights".

Back