B5TV.COM. Babylon 5 forums Babylon 5 message for the fans from Claudia Christian Babylon 5

Go Back   B5TV.COM > Other TV-related forums > Non-B5 books, TV & films

Old December 18th 04, 01:18   #11
2aMageing
Soul Hunter

Re: Wizard of Earthsea (Sci Fi channel pertrayal)

Quote:
I watched Earthsea when it was on the other two nights. From the previews I saw of it and from what bit I saw on their website about it, I expected more from it than what there actually was. Inspite of that, I still liked it. I'm thinking about picking up one or two of the Earthsea novels now.
A worthy investment my friend. The first is the best, IMHO, and two and three are pretty good. But whether you like a good story or also some interesting concepts, at least the first book will take care of both.

And it's nice to hear a second for it at least being entertaining. I just gotta figure a way to get a look at it.....and I don't even live in another country....unless you count not have the basic cable most eveyone else has....that's kinda like being in a different country.
2aMageing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th 04, 11:17   #12
RW7427

I don't like how the stories of Ged and Tenar are in seperate books, when the movie had them like in one story.
RW7427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th 04, 11:22   #13
PillowRock
Psi Cop

[quoteYah, I had caught wind of some not even liking it enough to see it through.....but I have some concern that these are the same people who didn't like sitting through the Lord of the Rings FOTR, and I would not want to use these as a guauge of the quality .....

[/quote]

Actually, no. This was another science based message board, and included people who prefessed to have really liked the books.
PillowRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th 04, 18:31   #14
2aMageing
Soul Hunter

Quote:
I don't like how the stories of Ged and Tenar are in seperate books, when the movie had them like in one story.
That WOULD be a problem.....as Ged had his own "voyage" of discovery and that really should be seperate I should think.
Old December 20th 04, 18:34   #15
2aMageing
Soul Hunter

Quote:
[quoteYah, I had caught wind of some not even liking it enough to see it through.....but I have some concern that these are the same people who didn't like sitting through the Lord of the Rings FOTR, and I would not want to use these as a guauge of the quality .....
Actually, no. This was another science based message board, and included people who prefessed to have really liked the books.

[/quote]

Ah, I see. Well, then that would carry a lot more weight and would cause me to be less eager to view it.......alhough some people really can't forgive translations of books to movies too......and I sometimes am one of them.....but the stories are SOOOOOO good they really deserve a shot at being brought to such life.......
Old January 10th 05, 04:01   #16
JJCoolbean
Ranger

Add me to the list of haters of the Earthsea miniseries. The whole thing plays like a fan film, except it's 3 hours long! It's as if they only shot a first take of every scene and there was no rehearsal or attempt by anyone to at least show a professional attitude toward detail.

It is as bad a directed film/television movie that I have seen in some time. When you have quality actors and they are all mediocre at best, when the pacing is plodding, when the staging of each seen is bland and generic, when there isn't one intellectual or visceral hook to grab the viewer in THREE HOURS... blame the director AND blame the script.

Ah, the script. Again, how this script/adaption was accepted is beyond me. True, there seemed to be an attempt at some subversive humor in spots, and the clumsy director bothed every attempt so badly that he draws attention to every overwritten line, but the poor dramatic structure of the script, the superficial attempts at characterisation, and the countless terriblely written lines of dialogue all fall within the responsiblities of the director.

I wouldn't buy it if I were any of you until you at least watch a bit when it reairs on Sci-Fi or a different network in your country. Again, I HATED it with a passion. I have since purchased and read the first novel and I did enjoy it quite a bit though so I do recommend it for Lord Of The Rings fans.
JJCoolbean is offline   Reply With Quote