• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

? about Abutt and Ms. Winters

While I don't have an exact date for their divorce, I gather from what JMS wrote in the script books, that they were still married when Andrea left the show.

Jan

The important day is when they broke up, that can be months before they talk to the judge.

The important day is when they broke up, that can be months before they talk to the judge.

Granted. However, JMS writing:
Even Jerry Doyle, by then married to Andrea, started coming around my
office with the same requests for more screen time for her character. “You
gotta give me something to go back with,” he said more than once, “or she
won’t let me back into the trailer.”
...two paragraphs before talking about getting the call from Andrea's agent that she wanted to be released from her contract doesn't sound like they'd broken up at that point. IMDb shows their marriage dates as 1995-1997.

Jan

Holy shit I never knew they were married.

That's kind of awesome considering Garibaldi's one-way crush in the show.

I remember thinking at the time "What the hell kind of sense does this make?" with Talia being Control. I mean, why would Control be actively trying to kill itself a half-dozen episodes earlier in "A Spider in the Web." In retrospect, it was just kind of a "Lets get her offstage as quickly as possible" way to wrap up her thread and tie it in to an arc that wasn't really intended for her, thereby killing two birds with one somewhat illogical stone.

I know Takishima was *originally* intended to be Control, but I have no idea who Control would have been once the series started, and there was no Takishima around. I assume Ivonova? That would explain why she seemed to kind of run out of things to do in Season 3...as if her arc had been taken away from her, and so they just had her parking cars until JMS figured out something to do with her. Might also explain why JMS was willing to just let her story arc dangle/disappear with no attempt to wrap it up in Season 5 - maybe he didn't really have anything in mind for her? That's assuming it was intended to be Ivonova, which, for all I know, it wasn't.

it was just kind of a "Lets get her offstage as quickly as possible" way to wrap up her thread

You are right that the episode "Divided Loyalties" was written to give the Talia character an exit. However, according to an interview in Joe Nazzaro's science fiction writing book, jms said the reveal of the alternate personality was only to be about 8 more episodes further down the line, probably about the time Talia finally joined Sheridan's resistance cell.

Might also explain why JMS was willing to just let her story arc dangle/disappear with no attempt to wrap it up in Season 5 - maybe he didn't really have anything in mind for her?

Joe didn't want to let Ivanova's arc disappear in season 5, he wanted her to be there: she would be Captain of the station; she would get involved with Byron believing him to be an adequate replacement for Marcus and her telepathy would come into play; she would have to be the one that calls in Bester as an ally which would be an almost impossible thing for her to come to terms with considering their past relationship; she would form a friendship with G'Kar; Ivanova was in the first season 5 scripts until the infamous Blackpool weekend when it was for sure that Claudia was not returning to the show.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back